It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 am
Change font size

General Discussion

code suggestions re: diagnosing injuries

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

code suggestions re: diagnosing injuries

Postby mongwen » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:44 am

If someone's got broken bones, they can see it, but third parties can't. Case in point.
>
A purple orc with green polkadots attempts to parry, but a red orc with blue stripes forces through his defenses, and crushes him very hard on
the thorax.
A purple orc with green polkadots gasps for air as his thorax is
struck.

...snip...>
A purple orc with green polkadots says, out of character,
"OH FFS fracture again?!"

You say, out of character,
"That's nasty."

>
A purple orc with green polkadots says, out of character,
"He gave me 2 fractures already that won't heal at all."

>
You say, out of character,
"Keep going to the healer upstairs. They will eventually go away."

>
He appears moderately injured.

A purple orc with green polkadots has a minor contusion on the right hip, a
minor contusion on the right hip, a minor crush on the left hip, a small crush
on the left forearm, a minor crush on the thorax, a severe bruise on the
thorax, and a small bruise on the face.

Descriptions changed to protect the innocent -- or not-so-innocent, as the case might be.
There we have a PC who OOCly reports three fracture wounds, but if anyone at all can see them, it's only those with healing skill, which my current PC doesn't have. However, if someone's got broken bones, there is a chance such things are actually noticeable by non medically trained people and this needs to reflect in injury reports. If you break someone's face, you're going to know about it. Perhaps it should even show in the combat. Even granting that the injuries can and should be RPed, people give signs they don't intend to give depending on where the break is. Perhaps an arm hangs oddly if it's broken, they can't walk on a broken leg or they can't breathe well with broken ribs, just for example. That doesn't even count the kinds of breaks where the bone comes through the skin and is actually visible. The idea here is that since fracture code is implemented, it needs to have effects visible to third parties or at least visibility.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Re: code suggestions re: diagnosing injuries

Postby tehkory » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

This is pretty easy to look at already: moderate-to-grievous, you've got a fractured/broken bone. Terrible to horrific, you've got bone sticking out the skin, most likely, depending upon where and at the wounded PC's discretion. This is one of those code changes that really relies on spending valuable time coding in what people can already do/see through roleplay.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby radioactivejesus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:45 pm

you should just assume that anything higher than a severe crush/contusion/abrasion is going to be a fracture. People with at least beginner level first-aid are able to actually identify that it's fractured, but as a rule of thumb anything higher than a severe wound will result in a fracture.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby mongwen » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 am

Not necessarily, though, to both of you. Moderate isn't automatically a fracture at all. Neither is severe. Have seen wounds that are healing and listed as minor or even small still have a fracture. You're right it's not top priority, but I don't think it's an unreasonable request. As you saw from the report, from what I could currently see, there was only one even severe enough to be considered a fracture, and I only knew that was fractured because the PC said it was.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:29 am

mongwen wrote:Moderate isn't automatically a fracture at all. Neither is severe. Have seen wounds that are healing and listed as minor or even small still have a fracture. You're right it's not top priority, but I don't think it's an unreasonable request. As you saw from the report, from what I could currently see, there was only one even severe enough to be considered a fracture, and I only knew that was fractured because the PC said it was.

All of which is an argument for allowing PCs that have first aid to know what they're seeing, and for PCs that don't to only have uncertainty and guesswork.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:12 pm

in real life the layman can't easily tell if something is fractured either. As a teenager I went for almost month with a fractured wrist and no medical treatment. It was only after a few weeks of persistent discomfort that we finally realized that I needed to see a doctor, and the x-rays revealed that I had a hairline fracture.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login