It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Hunting question

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Hunting question

Postby Jarlhen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:55 pm

I've seen a few people melee deer. Is there some trick to this or are the deer just programmed to stand there and take it? Is it possible with all non-aggro animals?

[From Shammat] The Dark Lord demands more mashed potatoes.
Jarlhen
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Hunting question

Postby teepu » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:15 pm

No one should be Melee-ing a deer, unless its throwing a spear or hurling a knife at it.
teepu
Guide

Postby Real » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Stags are aggressive mobs who chase down and attack visible players, a doe will sneak away from visible individuals but never hide, and a buck will hide and sneak huge distances in no time.

Most ambush mobs can't be melee'd.

And...it's not a question of what they -should- be doing, even. The stags attack you, you're not gonna run away and fire arrows to preserve realism. The smack must be laid down.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:39 pm

teepu wrote:throwing a spear or hurling a knife at it.

Not meleeing
No one should be Melee-ing a deer

Given it takes coded skill(significantly high hide/sneak/melee), I wouldn't agree so strongly with this.

The admins can already set mobs to autoflee with a guaranteed fail to-hit when attacked without hide. If deer aren't set this way, they should be, but I'm 90% sure they already are.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Songweaver » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:58 pm

You can melee deer and auto-flee mobs from hide via a successful ambush roll. With a good ambush build, it's actually a rather effective way (code-wise) to hunt them, as they typically go down in two or three hits, and bleed out pretty easily even if they manage to flee.

Whether or not that's believable depends on your perspective on how stealthy Tolkien characters are, and how evolutionarily challenged you believe Tolkien deers to be. :p
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Jarlhen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:06 am

If stags are aggro I think that explains it! Personally I find it kind of weird that they are though. I see no reason for why they should be. Makes hunting too easy.

And while I am very much against ambushing being possible to melee animals, at least if it requires a high skill it's not the end of the world. But I'm not exactly keen on that either. Meleeing non-aggro animals should be a guaranteed failure.

Jarlhen
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Tykanis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Alright, Stags are super aggressive and territorial in real life and during mating season (which is around the time you can flush them in game) They will charge you like they're a boar or something and can do major damage. As far as non-aggro animals go, I could right now go outside and into the woods and stab a rabbit, squirrel, bird, whatever, albeit it would be difficult but still possible.
You finish eating a green and brown mushroom. You still feel hungry
eat belly-rot
You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach as the mushrooms hit.
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You finish eating a belly-rot mushroom.
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Tykanis wrote:Alright, Stags are super aggressive and territorial in real life and during mating season (which is around the time you can flush them in game) They will charge you like they're a boar or something and can do major damage. As far as non-aggro animals go, I could right now go outside and into the woods and stab a rabbit, squirrel, bird, whatever, albeit it would be difficult but still possible.

City people, man, amirite? They don't really understand wild animals very well. Or farm animals, but that's another story. The whole 'man spear hunting sure is unrealistic' idea lacks a heck of a lot of historical basis. It's not the most efficient, sure, but it's easy to learn.

Human hunting boiled down to 'run at animal until it gets too exhausted to run away, stab with stick' at its most basic level.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Kory speaks the truth.

Also, I'm surprised that he is, honestly, correct. Man is an endurance runner. We don't out-speed, but we will follow until you are exhausted, and then twink stab you with a bog iron knife. Much like on arm, where you have to sit and rest every 10 rooms.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Jarlhen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:49 am

As someone who grew up in the country and has spent plenty of time in the wild. Stags are not super aggressive. During mating season, sure. But in 90% of the cases they, like boars, bears, wolves and just about every other animal, will run away if they see you. Maybe foreign stags are more pissed of about things, but in Scandinavia a moose is more likely to go nuts and kill you than you are at ever being attacked by a boar or a stag.

My problem is really that you're able to just walk up to many animals and type "kill X" and it goes to melee. I'm doing it right now as it's easier than running around throwing spears at things. What you're capable of doing in real life is not represented here other than through sneak/hide. And as I said, that's fine.

But just think of it this way. If you were hunting would you prefer a bow and arrow of a mace? I'd take the bow and arrow any day of the week as it's so much easier to kill a prey from a distance than by hunting it down and club it to death with a mace. This, to me, is not always well represented in the game. As stated, it's fine if you want to ambush using sneak/hide, no problem with that. But many animals can simply be meleed to death and that's a bit weird to me. Make virtually all game move away when you enter the room. That would solve it as you'd have to rely on bow/arrow and/or hide/sneak to reliably get kills.

Jarlhen
Dwarf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login