It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:40 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Resident suggest/question?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Resident suggest/question?

Postby Jarlhen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:02 am

Just a quick question/suggestion. Is there currently an automated way for people to rent a place to stay? If not, I don't know if you guys have access to old files and stuff. But back in Fahad Jafari an admin (I forget her name) whipped up a pretty complicated prog to allow people to rent an apartment. It wasn't perfect, would obviously be much better if coded, but it did work pretty darn well. Perhaps, if you guys have access to that old stuff, that prog could be moved over to this version of SoI and let people rent places to stay?

Just a thought!

[From Shammat] The Dark Lord demands more mashed potatoes.
Jarlhen
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Resident suggest/question?

Postby Eru » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:20 am

I'm pretty sure the old codebase was lost so they'd likely not have access to that old script. :|
Eru
Guide

Postby Jarlhen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:26 am

Eru wrote:I'm pretty sure the old codebase was lost so they'd likely not have access to that old script. :|

That's a shame. It was a really extensive prog that allowed you to rent an apartment for X amount of time and allowed you to extend your lease as well. The whole process was automated. Was pretty cool. Probably the best thing about the whole sphere!

[From Shammat] The Dark Lord demands more mashed potatoes.
Jarlhen
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Songweaver » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:51 am

Kithrater created the means for apartment rental in the ARPI code. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get that working for SOI3. I do know that Utterby has the means for which you can rent a room at the Inn, so long as there's availability, but it's just a singular room.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Tiamat » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:25 pm

I know for a fact it can work. I got a working prototype of it last summer. I believe the concern was about giving players infinite storage space because of a well-known exploit.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 pm

We have it. Just need to stick it in to the boarding house.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby tehkory » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Tiamat wrote:I know for a fact it can work. I got a working prototype of it last summer. I believe the concern was about giving players infinite storage space because of a well-known exploit.

Code: Select all
'Easy' fix for that exploit:
create room
set maximum room weight to X
fill room with containers/furniture that exceed X
exploit gone
Maybe there's an exploit around that hackjob, but I can't think of one. Just something to consider when the new housing's implemented.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:06 pm

tehkory wrote:
Tiamat wrote:I know for a fact it can work. I got a working prototype of it last summer. I believe the concern was about giving players infinite storage space because of a well-known exploit.

create room
exploit gone
Maybe there's an exploit around that hackjob, but I can't think of one. Just something to consider when the new housing's implemented.

I'll figure it out.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Matt wrote:
tehkory wrote:

create room
exploit gone

I'll figure it out.

Follow guy, hide object, make him enter the room, bam.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Mithrandur » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:13 pm

tehkory wrote:

create room
exploit gone

Pre-furnishing the rooms -would- be a fairly simple way to remove the most of the issue of players exceeding room size. You get 1 bin/chest, one dresser/cupboard, 1 bed, and maybe a table to fill up the room's 'weight'. These items though would need to be flagged no-take to prevent people from picking something up on accident and then being unable to drop them again. That said, so long as you ensure you provide -enough- storage space, this won't be an issue with 95% of the playerbase except maybe Matt. The hoarder ;)
Mithrandur
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:31 pm

For some reason as soon as I have storage I have 10000 lbs worth of supplies, it's weird.

Also that'd most definitely work Kory. I bet it'd occasionally crash the game as well!
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Letters » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:11 am

Throwing empty bins at people would probably do it too. The room capacity code as is is easily exploited and would probably need to be rewritten to account for objects being put in containers as well as just being dropped in the room - it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it only looks for objects being dropped, as is.
Last edited by Letters on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:13 am

Rooms with an excessive amount of shit may be randomly purged by an Icarus. There, that's the solution. Boom. You got robbed. What a pity, call the constable.

"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby tehkory » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Letters wrote:Throwing empty bins at people would probably do it too. The room capacity code as is is easily exploited and would probably need to be rewritten to account for objects being put in containers as well as just being dropped in the room - it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it only looks for objects being dropped, as is.

Pretty sure it accounts for throwing. I remember trying that.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:17 pm

Icarus wrote:Rooms with an excessive amount of shit may be randomly purged by an Icarus. There, that's the solution. Boom. You got robbed. What a pity, call the constable.

I've heard that if you had an ungodly amount of items in your apartment it might lead to said apartment catching fire.

You know. Just heard...
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Brian wrote:
Icarus wrote:Rooms with an excessive amount of shit may be randomly purged by an Icarus. There, that's the solution. Boom. You got robbed. What a pity, call the constable.

I've heard that if you had an ungodly amount of items in your apartment it might lead to said apartment catching fire.

You know. Just heard...

Get it right. It was all of the apartments. Someone at some point hoarded so many items that, upon his death and the subsequent looting, the Admins decided it was best to just burn down the entire complex of apartments.

Every. Single. One.

We're talking hoarding of Biblical proportions. God settled on a flood. Admins solved it with fire.

Whoever that guy was, he had a lot of nerve.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm

In other news, I'm putting this IG now.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:18 pm

tehkory wrote:
Brian wrote:

You know. Just heard...

Get it right. It was all of the apartments. Someone at some point hoarded so many items that, upon his death and the subsequent looting, the Admins decided it was best to just burn down the entire complex of apartments.

Every. Single. One.

We're talking hoarding of Biblical proportions. God settled on a flood. Admins solved it with fire.

Whoever that guy was, he had a lot of nerve.

What a D.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:31 pm

RIP Dragomir, king of the solo-scavvers
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:50 pm

radioactivejesus wrote:RIP Dragomir, king of the solo-scavvers

Everybody forgets that he had a partner! Matt played him(I think), but I forget his name. My PC tagged along, too. It was mostly all Dragomir, though.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:53 pm

I loved Dragomir.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Holmes » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Brian wrote:What a D.

I created a monster.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Yea, that was me as Worm. We were pretty ballin haha.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login