It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Forced skill learning - Opinions?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Forced skill learning - Opinions?

Postby Mavinero » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:41 am

I have heard of such things in the past, but it wasn't until very recently that I had heard of it on the human side of the game. What are your opinions about clans attempting to coerce or force players into learning particular skills?
A small, shell-grey-eyed male begins to flicker and flash, turning to a red color as such happens. Without warning, a slim, silver-hilted lightsaber hilt ignites with a ruby-hued length. "Incorrect. I am programmed for queries, not pleasure."
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Forced skill learning - Opinions?

Postby Jarlhen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:52 am

I don't see a problem with it in principle. It annoys me sometimes as you'll have a clan with one expressed purpose all being taught a particular skill and craft outside of that purpose and thereby taking work from those that specialize it. Or they'll alter the economy as a result. I would never say we should forbid such a thing, but I find it a bit frustrating.

[From Shammat] The Dark Lord demands more mashed potatoes.
Jarlhen
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:53 am

I would say it depends on context. If you're in a military organization and they are trying to get you to learn a new weapon or style of fighting that makes perfect sense to me. However, if you're in the military and they're trying to force you to learn how to sew or bake, I'd say that's a little bit more on the outside of what makes sense.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Siradril » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:58 am

Being somewhat subject to this, I can say it does break the image I had on my character. Although if it makes sense ICwise, can't really argue much about it unless you want to wind up sounding like a complete asshole and uncooperative.
Siradril
Verified Member

Postby Mavinero » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Aside from the Citadel, human-side Utterby has no military. They have a police force. That being said, I would also think that not everyone can fit into the mold that some may wish them to fit.

I would also agree that by forcing all to try and fit into the same shape, it does detract from those who specialize in certain skillsets. "Hey, we sneak in maille, you should too." "Hey, we all use bows, you should too."
A small, shell-grey-eyed male begins to flicker and flash, turning to a red color as such happens. Without warning, a slim, silver-hilted lightsaber hilt ignites with a ruby-hued length. "Incorrect. I am programmed for queries, not pleasure."
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Mavinero wrote:Aside from the Citadel, human-side Utterby has no military. They have a police force. That being said, I would also think that not everyone can fit into the mold that some may wish them to fit.

I would also agree that by forcing all to try and fit into the same shape, it does detract from those who specialize in certain skillsets. "Hey, we sneak in maille, you should too." "Hey, we all use bows, you should too."

What I would do in this case is to play that your character is simply unable to do such things or totally inept at them. Using the sneaking in maille example, emote often about how hopelessly noisey you are, how pathetic your attempts to find any reasonable hiding spot are, and then use the vis command to accurately reflect that. Use pmotes to show that it appears that you're trying to hide but the vast majority of you is quite easy to spot. This may break the stride of the group of mailled warriors trying to sneak through the woods, but...too bad!

It will also put them at a disadvantage, codedly, against wildlife and the opposite sphere so keep that in mind when guaging their reactions. It's one of those times when characters want to choose what the code -allows- you to do over what an individual feels might be believable. Be ready to accept the repurcussions as well; if you're character can't sneak or remain hidden and is a liability on trips where you need to remain unseen, they might not be invited, which is just the logical fallout of the character choices you've made!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:14 pm

As Brian says.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Mavinero » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Icarus wrote:As Brian says.

Agreed.
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:23 pm

Yea that's completely an IC issue. Don't want to learn to bake? Dont join a bakery. Don't want to learn to shoot a bow? Don't join the Guard in a town whose only defense on the wall is bows.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Matt wrote:Yea that's completely an IC issue. Don't want to learn to bake? Dont join a bakery. Don't want to learn to shoot a bow? Don't join the Guard in a town whose only defense on the wall is bows.

We have a ballista. Or rather, we had a ballista, and that's since split by cell division into three ballistae, or maybe more.

Someone should probably purge those extra ballistae we've acquired. But yeah. There's a ballista! And maybe you can drop rocks on people's heads.

...but other than that, Matt speaks truth. As does Brian. It's completely IC to say no, and it's completely IC to be expected to, and it's completely IC to just be shit about it.

Back on Parallel I set forage on ignore as soon as it hit beginner, and despite foraging for 51 days, my PC was no good at it. Why? Because he was just bad. That's fine and IC. Sometimes you're shit at something. That's life.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Indeed, if you want to be crap at something but still have some small skill at it, just set yourself to ignore advancement of it.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Eru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Icarus wrote:Indeed, if you want to be crap at something but still have some small skill at it, just set yourself to ignore advancement of it.

I don't think ignore works until you cap out completely. :D
Eru
Guide

Postby tehkory » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Eru wrote:
Icarus wrote:Indeed, if you want to be crap at something but still have some small skill at it, just set yourself to ignore advancement of it.

Code: Select all
I don't think ignore works until you cap out completely.   :D[/quote]
Using the ignore command, you can stop any advancement in the skill you're ignoring, but also stop any other skills from being lowered at the expense of the ignored skill. Don't use 'ignore' on skills you're trying to raise!

An ignored skill will be shown in purple brackets [] in your skills
list.

Ignore also stops the skill from being lowered once you're at the skill-cap, but no. It definitely works as soon as you pop the skill(the lowest of low beginner).
See:
You have been playing for 51 days and 22 hours.
Scavenge: [Beginner]
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby cfelch » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:52 pm

Related subject... can you still branch an ignored skill?
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:57 pm

cfelch wrote:Related subject... can you still branch an ignored skill?

Do you mean branch crafts in an ingnored skill? Yes. If you mean branching the skill itself, you can't ignore it until it's visible.
tehkory
Master Ent

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login