It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:10 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Culture, Dale, Old Ways, and Anwig

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Culture, Dale, Old Ways, and Anwig

Postby Icarus » Thu May 14, 2015 8:18 am

Something that we have lacked, up to this point, is a coherent and unique "cultural identity" that is separate from mindless money-grubbing. And perhaps an explanation of that mindless money-grubbing. As we continue to expand the gameworld, quite a few bits of lore that have been floating about are beginning to come together. One part of that is the "old ways," which I personally believe might provide a great hook for a number of players who want something nontraditional and authentically "northern."

Thanks to the staff and Frigga for working together on pulling this together.

As such:
https://shadowsofisildur.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PW/Rites+of+the+Free+People

Linked in there is a small roleplay guide for how you yourself might integrate this into your personal roleplay. I'd of course like to hear your thoughts, and as we are still in Alpha staff reserve all rights to retcon, modify, add, delete, etc items within these.

And yes, there is Anwig in there. Yes, the Master would be quite ticked if you declared Anwig in the middle of the Tavern. If two men voluntarily agree to it, and step outside the walls, and all men know what they are doing though? I don't think he would intervene.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Re: Culture, Dale, Old Ways, and Anwig

Postby Songweaver » Thu May 14, 2015 1:09 pm

Something about this looks so familiar! :p
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Thu May 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Songweaver wrote:Something about this looks so familiar! :p

It worked the first time around.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Thu May 14, 2015 3:29 pm

I figured the culture was similar, and had some kinks already worked out. So indeed I took about fifty percent of that stuff from Angost. It was good then, should be good now.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Mavinero » Thu May 14, 2015 5:02 pm

What do I think? I think it is outstanding. Thank you for having such things to allow me to further flesh my own character out.
A small, shell-grey-eyed male begins to flicker and flash, turning to a red color as such happens. Without warning, a slim, silver-hilted lightsaber hilt ignites with a ruby-hued length. "Incorrect. I am programmed for queries, not pleasure."
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Matt » Fri May 15, 2015 9:20 am

I really like all these social policies and lore.

But can we step back from the economic rules/laws? I really feel that's a part of what's holding Utterby back and keeping it stagnant. The place crafter PCs go is an admin held up clan and really the only option right now. That's kind of dull. The problem with clans like this is admins have to have a very active presence to keep things flowing right. Right now there's a bunch of inactive leadership, or leadership is play different times. It makes everything stagnant cause you get in game wanting to do X. Well guess what? You have to find Timmy who logs in at noon on Tuesday's whenever you need supplies to craft.

Being an independent person now there's all these guidelines on how much you can sell and what you can sell etc etc. I recently suggested someone make an armorer for Utterby cause those are badly needed with there being no active longer lived PCs in that field. Their response was something along the lines of 'there's already a PC with an armorer's license, so I can't get one, so I'm just going to roll an orc'. Why roll orc? Because it's the perfect communist society. Need a weapon and armor? Here it is! Need that in Utterby? That'll be a thousand coin so you can be a combatant and actually 'protect' Utterby. Nice to get charged to protect people, right?

So really what I'm trying to say is remove all these restrictions and economic guidelines. The ones on people selling what they make to whoever they want. Free Trade in Utterby and cooperation for everyone!

I'm literally not logging in/playing right now because it's a MASSIVE head ache to get any kind of decent equipment in Utterby. That shouldn't be the reason. I just don't want to have to tavern sit for 2 weeks etc etc that comes with all that.

I just think we should focus more on social laws like these and not economic ones. Especially since the economy is super duper broken anyway. The only thing it's accomplishing is frustrated players.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Justanothacivy » Fri May 15, 2015 11:55 am

In Soviet Mountain, the armor and weapons make you!

Matt. Give it up man. Come to the darkside already and revel in greatness.
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login