It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Gobbo » Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 pm

It is way too easy to kill someone without them ever going unconscious. Also when something is unconscious you should have to type something like 'execute' to kill them rather than hit (target). I've noticed some people kill things just cause the target went uncon and they were late to the part when they typed 'hit' or 'kill'.

I recently had a pvp encounter that resulted in my victim dying before I wanted them to, stealing RP from both of us. I'm really peeved. I wouldn't blame the guy if he quit outright.

I think an addition like this is SUPER CRITICAL to this mud if pvp is going to continue being such a core part of the game.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:01 am

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Knight26 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:01 pm

People should be typing hit, not kill.

You should also understand that if you're going to battle with real swords there is a coded chance that you might be struck with a critical hit that will outright kill you.

The gamble! The excitement!

That's why PVP is such an amazing aspect of this game.

Really gets your heart rate up!
User avatar
Knight26
Forum Hobbit
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby radioactivejesus » Mon May 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Knight26 wrote:People should be typing hit, not kill.

the only difference between those two commands was that kill would keep attacking after a target went KO. With the code changes SOI staff implemented, hit and kill are functionally identical.

I like Gobbos proposal, it's a good response to an issue I've had pretty often. Sure, unintentional death should still happen, and if the last swing of the melee is a heavy spear to the eye, then that guy is dead. But the frequency that people die without ever going unconscious is too damn high right now. The code was designed for Atonement, a game where death was meant to be swift, brutal and unexpected. While bad stuff definitely happens a lot in SOI, and death is meant to happen, it doesn't follow the same themes as Atonement
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby ThinkTwice » Mon May 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Knight26 wrote:You should also understand that if you're going to battle with [weapons] there is a coded chance that you might be struck with a critical hit that will outright kill you.

The gamble! The excitement!

That's why PVP is such an amazing aspect of this game.

Really gets your heart rate up!


This is an adequate description of Call of Duty.

As this is an RPI, I'd like more roleplay to go with my character's death than the d20 came up 20, leaps over my unconscious threshold and kills me.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Matt » Mon May 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Yea I really don't see a negative to making it so you HAVE to use a specific command to kill another PC. But then again I want a decent chance of death if you're fighting with real weapons on the same side. Human v human / orc v orc.
Matt
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby tehkory » Mon May 18, 2015 9:52 pm

Matt wrote:Yea I really don't see a negative to making it so you HAVE to use a specific command to kill another PC. But then again I want a decent chance of death if you're fighting with real weapons on the same side. Human v human / orc v orc.

Nothing to stop any PCs currently alive or ever in existence from surrendering sooner, which has been Staff's position previously.

If you don't want to die fighting, surrender. If you don't want to kill someone, demand they surrender.
tehkory
Master Ent
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Gobbo » Mon May 18, 2015 9:55 pm

tehkory wrote:
Matt wrote:Yea I really don't see a negative to making it so you HAVE to use a specific command to kill another PC. But then again I want a decent chance of death if you're fighting with real weapons on the same side. Human v human / orc v orc.

Nothing to stop any PCs currently alive or ever in existence from surrendering sooner, which has been Staff's position previously.

If you don't want to die fighting, surrender. If you don't want to kill someone, demand they surrender.


Unfortunately I've experienced people dying by one shots from 3 stars to instantly dead. This is a bit too early to surrender.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:01 am

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Songweaver » Tue May 19, 2015 11:41 am

I'm a big proponent of this, as I've noted before on this forum and over at my OR design forum.

I've two-shot killed full health'd PCs as Bjarndyr on SOI3, twice. I've three or four shot killed PCs more times. Putting in a simple stop-gag measure to keep players from going from fighting to dead instantaneously would be a strong addition to the engine, IMO.

ETA: Increasing the unconscious health pull is problematic, though. It'd make killing KO'd mobs and PCs incredibly annoying (and it's already slightly annoying sometimes). Better yet would be for PCs to not be able to die unless a PC entered a coup de grace command. Mobs will have to be given a simple AI trait that entered the coup de grace command automatically against KO'd characters (so long as the mobs aren't engaged in active combat).
User avatar
Songweaver
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Knight26 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:50 pm

ThinkTwice wrote:
Knight26 wrote:You should also understand that if you're going to battle with [weapons] there is a coded chance that you might be struck with a critical hit that will outright kill you.

The gamble! The excitement!

That's why PVP is such an amazing aspect of this game.

Really gets your heart rate up!


This is an adequate description of Call of Duty.

As this is an RPI, I'd like more roleplay to go with my character's death than the d20 came up 20, leaps over my unconscious threshold and kills me.


360 no-scope staggering strike to the thorax.

:lol:

No no, an execute command would be a good idea.

I was just being overly enthusiastic.
User avatar
Knight26
Forum Hobbit
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Holmes » Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 pm

ThinkTwice wrote:
Knight26 wrote:You should also understand that if you're going to battle with [weapons] there is a coded chance that you might be struck with a critical hit that will outright kill you.

The gamble! The excitement!

That's why PVP is such an amazing aspect of this game.

Really gets your heart rate up!


This is an adequate description of Call of Duty.

As this is an RPI, I'd like more roleplay to go with my character's death than the d20 came up 20, leaps over my unconscious threshold and kills me.


This is in fact an RPI, which is why death is a crucial aspect, and should be capricious, cruel, and not always satisfying.
User avatar
Holmes
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Icarus » Thu May 21, 2015 8:57 pm

The Sage Speaks

Holmes wrote:
ThinkTwice wrote:
Knight26 wrote:You should also understand that if you're going to battle with [weapons] there is a coded chance that you might be struck with a critical hit that will outright kill you.

The gamble! The excitement!

That's why PVP is such an amazing aspect of this game.

Really gets your heart rate up!


This is an adequate description of Call of Duty.

As this is an RPI, I'd like more roleplay to go with my character's death than the d20 came up 20, leaps over my unconscious threshold and kills me.


This is in fact an RPI, which is why death is a crucial aspect, and should be capricious, cruel, and not always satisfying.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
User avatar
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Songweaver » Fri May 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Counterpoint: There is a difference between a character not being satisfied with their death, having loose ends, never achieving their goals, feeling remorse for their worst deeds, wishing that they had just another moment to spend with their loved ones, etc ...

And a player not being satisfied with their character's death, because they didn't get the opportunity to think their last thought, or throw out one final, dying emote. In my experience, when players have those last few moments, even if the character's death is untimely and tragic, they usually execute some of the very best roleplay that they are capable of ... and it means a world of a difference to them, and their willingness to reroll another character.

Even being able to do something like this goes a long way for the player:

"think (He is unaware of the sudden, unseen mortal blow that will end his life. Even as he dies) I wonder if Anna would like a few of these flowers to be planted in our ... *"
User avatar
Songweaver
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby ThinkTwice » Fri May 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Holmes wrote:This is in fact an RPI, which is why death is a crucial aspect, and should be capricious, cruel, and not always satisfying.


I feel like there's probably a large difference between the capricious, cruel, and dissatisfying nature of death for my character and the frustrating lack of RP or plot or story or character development or other roleplay intensive activities that comes from being killed amongst combat spam.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Tykanis » Fri May 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Bwahahahahaha. To start, Don't raise the unconscious health pool because it would literally serve no purpose other than to leave a ton of people lying around unconscious for long periods of time to the mercy of -whatever- wanders towards you. Secondly, You will -always- have the issue of dying too quick. I quite fondly remember my Boromirish death on one of my PC's and forgetting to bind my wounds after I ran off. Apparently I didn't think it was a good idea with a whole crap ton of bleeders (who would have thought). Anyway, After I was rendered unconscious I put up a bunch of thinks, that didn't actually go through. So perhaps, For those RP inclined people. We should instead make it to where you have a few different commands you can use -while- unconscious. These could be things like Think, pmote, emote, etc.
You finish eating a green and brown mushroom. You still feel hungry
eat belly-rot
You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach as the mushrooms hit.
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You finish eating a belly-rot mushroom.
You are starving!
User avatar
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:18 am

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Matt » Fri May 22, 2015 7:02 pm

Surrender is a command.
Matt
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby tehkory » Fri May 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Tykanis wrote:Bwahahahahaha. To start, Don't raise the unconscious health pool because it would literally serve no purpose other than to leave a ton of people lying around unconscious for long periods of time to the mercy of -whatever- wanders towards you. Secondly, You will -always- have the issue of dying too quick. I quite fondly remember my Boromirish death on one of my PC's and forgetting to bind my wounds after I ran off. Apparently I didn't think it was a good idea with a whole crap ton of bleeders (who would have thought). Anyway, After I was rendered unconscious I put up a bunch of thinks, that didn't actually go through. So perhaps, For those RP inclined people. We should instead make it to where you have a few different commands you can use -while- unconscious. These could be things like Think, pmote, emote, etc.

Think, pmote, and anything else that doesn't go 'you can't do that you're asleep'(like emote) all work while you're unconscious, they just don't echo. Make a ticket!
tehkory
Master Ent
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Tykanis » Sat May 23, 2015 9:20 am

Perhaps giving it the ability to echo might help a bit; Though, I believe when I asked if my think logs were able to be seen while I was unconscious, I was told no. XD
You finish eating a green and brown mushroom. You still feel hungry
eat belly-rot
You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach as the mushrooms hit.
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You finish eating a belly-rot mushroom.
You are starving!
User avatar
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:18 am

Re: Massively increasing the unconscious health pool

Postby Ceredir » Sat May 23, 2015 9:53 am

Tykanis wrote:Perhaps giving it the ability to echo might help a bit; Though, I believe when I asked if my think logs were able to be seen while I was unconscious, I was told no. XD

They do not echo to you, but thinks of unconscious people are visible to admins.
I don't always test my code.
But when I do I do it on the player port.
Ceredir
Journeyman Architect
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 pm


Return to General Discussion

cron

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login

Who is online

Very smart users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Login