It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:23 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Paying RPP for Stat Boosts

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Paying RPP for Stat Boosts

Postby Justanothacivy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:36 am

How do you the players feel about paying RPP for stat boosts?

i.e. I am an orc who rolled a peak STR. I have 3RPP. I spend one of my RPP to boost my peak STR to superhuman STR. I am now docked a RPP point and receive a stat point in STR.

Do you think this sort of practice belongs at Shadows of Isildur? Code monkeys, how game breaking is this sort of thing?

I remember towards the close of SOI when folks were spending RPP to boost their characters. At one point I believe there were PC's walking about with something along the lines of 5 - 6 boosted stat points. Now that we are using a different engine that has an allotted number of total skill points (pool) and hard caps based on stats how high a characters skill will -ever- be. (No closet skill grinders to Master anymore)

Do y'all think it's fair? Should it be considered something we do here? :mrgreen:
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Re: Paying RPP for Stat Boosts

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:48 am

No.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:49 am

No
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby tehkory » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:45 am

Icarus wrote:No

HEY! You're not a player. GET OUT.

Jokes aside, uh. There's a lot of reasons against this, and I'll point those out the moment anyone says yes. Until then:
No.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Justanothacivy wrote:How do you the players feel about paying RPP for stat boosts?

i.e. I am an orc who rolled a peak STR. I have 3RPP. I spend one of my RPP to boost my peak STR to superhuman STR. I am now docked a RPP point and receive a stat point in STR.

Do you think this sort of practice belongs at Shadows of Isildur? Code monkeys, how game breaking is this sort of thing?

I remember towards the close of SOI when folks were spending RPP to boost their characters. At one point I believe there were PC's walking about with something along the lines of 5 - 6 boosted stat points. Now that we are using a different engine that has an allotted number of total skill points (pool) and hard caps based on stats how high a characters skill will -ever- be. (No closet skill grinders to Master anymore)

Do y'all think it's fair? Should it be considered something we do here? :mrgreen:

people being able to infinitely trade RPP for +1's in stats? Hell no.
I am in favour of people being able to do a 1 time deal, where they spend RPP to get a mixture of stat boosts and debuffs, like how we do it for newly created characters with RPP. Right now I believe it's possible only for newly created PCs, but I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed for PCs that have been playing for a while either.

Right now players are able to game the system to roll 8 presence, luck out and end up with 93 total stat points, and end up commencing with 3 more useful stat points than anyone else. There is also the opportunity to get RPP stat boosts, but only in chargen. There are a lot of motivations for people who only rolled in as being average in stats to suicide and try for being better. Removing presence, or hardcoding it to always be 10 and making it so that all players default to having 92 total stat points would fix a lot of issues with the system.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 pm

Working on that hardcoded system. Almost ready in fact.

"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby tehkory » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:41 pm

Icarus wrote:Working on that hardcoded system. Almost ready in fact.

Sorry, but what exactly(among the couple suggested things) are you working on? Because if it's that everyone gets presence at 10 and it's not selectable, and the random-roll for stat totals is removed, I just might swoon.
Last edited by tehkory on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Yup, those two things. Standard rolls and Pre at a constant 10. And coded roles with nice automated paydays.

really I should just go ahead and do it...

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Droll » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:48 pm

radioactivejesus wrote:I am in favour of people being able to do a 1 time deal, where they spend RPP to get a mixture of stat boosts and debuffs, like how we do it for newly created characters with RPP.

Right now players are able to game the system to roll 8 presence, luck out and end up with 93 total stat points, and end up commencing with 3 more useful stat points than anyone else. There is also the opportunity to get RPP stat boosts, but only in chargen. There are a lot of motivations for people who only rolled in as being average in stats to suicide and try for being better. Removing presence, or hardcoding it to always be 10 and making it so that all players default to having 92 total stat points would fix a lot of issues with the system.

I'm 100% on board for that, but I want it laid out first with a set amount of +s/-s for each RPP or whatever, none of that case by case crap. If someone can get something added to their character, everyone can.

And that coupled with set stats and a flat 10 presence will prevent Supermen from just walking around with so many points. Just by default being able to be 3 points better than someone for free is a bit messed up, and I think the point total can go less than 92 as well, so there is probably a pair of 0 rpp characters walking around with a 5 point difference..which is pretty messed up
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Me & Grommit worked on the port a bit tonight. We've a bit more testing, but IG chargen is technically live. Last touch is disabling Online chargen and re-enabling IG account creation.

As for RPP races, it's a similar system to Atonement. You pick one, we pick one, etc. 1 point boost per rpp.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Icarus wrote:Me & Grommit worked on the port a bit tonight. We've a bit more testing, but IG chargen is technically live. Last touch is disabling Online chargen and re-enabling IG account creation.

As for RPP races, it's a similar system to Atonement. You pick one, we pick one, etc. 1 point boost per rpp.

awesome news! Putting everyones stats on an even playing field will be great
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 am

radioactivejesus wrote:
Icarus wrote:Me & Grommit worked on the port a bit tonight. We've a bit more testing, but IG chargen is technically live. Last touch is disabling Online chargen and re-enabling IG account creation.

With the exception that we aren't seeing goblins with the same stats as trolls, nor 18-year-old urchins with the same stats as Legolas's third cousin and Thorin's seventh cousin thrice removed.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:16 pm

tehkory wrote:
radioactivejesus wrote:

With the exception that we aren't seeing goblins with the same stats as trolls, nor 18-year-old urchins with the same stats as Legolas's third cousin and Thorin's seventh cousin thrice removed.

agreed, once the basic characters are all fixed to have 10 presence and 92 total points, the next step should be to create clearly defined rules for what boosts each race gets and how many RPP need to be spent for those boosts.
Seeing people get to roll in as elves and Dunadan when they don't have the RPP for it, while other players who have been playing the game for longer get ignored in their attempts on a special race is pretty off-putting. Putting rules in place will fix the problem.
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 pm

92 0 RPP- No Boosts
92 1 RPP- +1 -1
93 2 RPP- +1 +1 -1
94 3 RPP- +2 +1 -1
95 4 RPP- +2 +2 -1
96 5 RPP- +2 +2 +1 -1

That's the standard. We're just trying to define what race is what RPP, and make sure there are no gaps.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Icarus wrote:92 0 RPP- No Boosts
92 1 RPP- +1 -1
93 2 RPP- +1 +1 -1
94 3 RPP- +2 +1 -1
95 4 RPP- +2 +2 -1
96 5 RPP- +2 +2 +1 -1

That's the standard. We're just trying to define what race is what RPP, and make sure there are no gaps.

looking good :)
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Icarus wrote:92 0 RPP- No Boosts
92 1 RPP- +1 -1
93 2 RPP- +1 +1 -1
94 3 RPP- +2 +1 -1
95 4 RPP- +2 +2 -1
96 5 RPP- +2 +2 +1 -1

And what about:
I am in favour of people being able to do a 1 time deal, where they spend RPP to get a mixture of stat boosts and debuffs, like how we do it for newly created characters with RPP. Right now I believe it's possible only for newly created PCs, but I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed for PCs that have been playing for a while either.

I'm pretty hit-or-miss about it, honestly(I care about everything else more), but seeing 2RPP boosts available to common humans/goblins, or 5RPP boosts available for any Dwarf/Elf/troll that has the 'currency' to pay for it has -some- allure, even if the race/roll they're normally picking is 3-4RPP instead of 5. I wouldn't want to see my current 'common human' PC even have the option of spending 3RPP, lordy no, but allowing people to spend 1-2 RPP above what their character rolled into would be interesting.

Me, I just care about playing a Dorf, honestly. I'll be begging for that once I my current PC finds a nice, shallow place to rest for all of eternity.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Melkor » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

I just took a look at character generation and it doesn't seem to allow you to rank your stats in their order of importance individually like the website submission form does. It only lets you put them in order of importance like before. Is this going to be fixed?
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login