It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:28 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Fun

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Fun

Postby Real » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:24 pm

A few points I thought I would address, get some discussion going in regard to some thoughts/concerns that I'd like to hear others' viewpoints on.

First point - those of you present knew this was coming --

To Loot or Not to Loot

...Sigh. This is a very key thing in the game's current state. RPTs are plot fuel, and if done right the relics of them can bring character-related RP for quite some time, create differences in opinion, and give us some interesting, unique objects as a reward for the trials we overcome. On orcside, when these sorts of combat RPTs happen it follows a satisfying formula. We train in preparation, we sally forth and kill the bads, and often there is something nice waiting at the end, something unique and interesting. There was a whole plot centered around some stuff we recovered once and it felt like a nice pat on the back, especially considering the remarkable threat involved.

Recently, there was an incident involving this where tensions rose to a remarkably high point - not naming names, but I believe it boils down to difference in what players want from the game. Maybe it was fully IC, but it struck me as a stretch, and the response seemed disproportionately high/violent compared to what was being debated, jarring and somewhat out of place in the scene. /justmyopinion

I was in awe of the scene unfolding via staff, and then I was in awe of the buzzkill on offer by those unnamed.

A curse plot is something interesting for all involved, it's very Lord of the Rings-y and for Men of Middle-Earth to readily dismiss things as cursed and thus useless seems far from canon. The idea that the status quo is leaving behind the cool objects that staff put in extra effort to make interesting is somewhat frustrating. Not everyone wants a sharp, bog-iron longsword from the local smith. It's the dream for a lot of combat PCs to get ahold of a cool magic sword or at least a badass unique one.

Because just leaving behind or destroying cool items sucks. It's a bummer, and you know that people involved are groaning behind their screens.

Given that the pool of combatants in Utterby is very limited, these uniques are funneled through a couple of specific people. Which brings me to my next, more controversial point...

Debbie Downers

"Are we going out to the bog today sir?"
A frowning lieutenant laughs in a harsh bark, waving you off.
"You kidding me Recruit? You're shoveling sh!t in the wind again."

It is no surprise to me that numbers are down.
A clanlead position in an RPI is not your opportunity to go on a power trip and ignore the OOC responsibility of the role. While it may be IC for your character to be a recluse, layabout, idler, as you will, you are largely responsible for the enjoyment of those in your clan, proactivity and acknowledging different playstyles being the key concepts here.

Leaving the gates does not equate to fulfillment of the role.

People do not join the Guard to chop logs all day.
People do not join the Guard to mass-hunt solo mobs using the hunting crafts.
People do not join the Guard to do the same patrol between the burned gatehouse and the bridge ad infinitum.

Of these three things, I am positive.

Icarus wrote:Staff priority is on you guys having an enjoyable time, not on spending all your time on silly mundane tasks.

Maybe you, personally, do not enjoy curse plots. Perhaps wandering over to Vadok Mal/Utterby is just such a yawn for you and you couldn't be f'd to stop by the bog. Big reveal here - most people playing combat roles in these games enjoy exciting, challenging activities and could do with a bit less of the everyday rigamarole that sometimes plagues RPIs. Going out, fighting nothing and coming home is by no means a success.

To do these fun things, to stumble across something that may or may not be cursed, to do anything except the same downtime crafting/sneaking around and killing boars, they must go through you. The days of Militia and Recruits and Privates running patrols are long since over, perhaps in part due to the fact that everyone hates eachother now. imo, tangentially related.

Let players under your jurisdiction have fun...

It seems obvious at first glance, but efforts seem to be made in the opposite direction at every turn and it is disconcerting, to say the least.

On Parallel, the Families sure were big. They created strict rules about what was allowed on their patrols which made some sense from an IC perspective but was a depressing reality from an OOC one. There is usually only one combat clan that does things of note in an RPI, barring Atonement, so you have to put up with whatever they decide. Despite some very interesting plots, a lot of players quit because there is nothing fun about having a clanlead tell you the RP equivalent of "no and go f yourself" in regard to issues both mundane and important.

The more you do things to frustrate clanmates/others because you can and they have to put up with it, the less motivation they will have to play this game. If you don't take them to do interesting things when they're online, they will log in less and less. Eventually, they will quit and play Skyrim or Dark Souls or Bloodborne whatever the flavor of the year is, because in those games you can do exciting things. Do not blame your neighbour, do not blame staff, don't blame your grandma, your dog, no one else is responsible. You can say "screw them and good riddance", which you have every right to, but your end result is less players, and an overall waning enjoyment for those that remain as combination of the smaller numbers online and the issues above.

Who are you and by who's authority do you stand before me...

I am a concerned player. I would really like things to return to the way they were. What's happening now is sigh-inducingly similar to what happened at the very beginning of the game where we had 12 players out killing single boar sows, on mandatory patrols where the Guard did nothing and with the strict rules that we all cringe about IRL.

The line between what is boring and what is not has always been clear, except when we get into a rut like this...

So, I know that this is going to rustle some jimmies pretty hard but these are things that need to be said, and I'm not afraid to be the one who says them.

---

Am I just blowing hot air? Are these really issues?

Are you content with the current status quo?

Is mixing OOC consideration into your IC action crazy, or to be expected? <- Views seem to be the polar opposite on this, with individuals sometimes strongly believing in a different side depending on circumstance, but be honest

What is being a clanlead about, in your opinion?

Why do you think that we are seeing such low numbers on WHO nowadays?
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Re: Fun

Postby Gobbo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Am I just blowing hot air? Are these really issues?

These are issues..I don't know anything about the looting business or curse plots. But I do agree with leadership and the guard problems.

Are you content with the current status quo?

Hell no. Honestly things were way better before the human sphere got wiped out by songweaver (lol). All the same issues were still around back then but we had more players and people were invested in their current characters so they made a real effort to work past the stagnation. Now people have left and they haven't returned yet, they see nothing worth drawing them back.

What is being a clanlead about, in your opinion?

It depends how you become clanlead and for what clan. When it comes to the merchant guard you are appointed by staff into a role meant to create content and move plots forward. If you inherit a clan like a hunting company, you have no responsibility to create content or move plots.

I have strong opinions on the merchant guard. The staff haven't utilized their power over the clan for making changes that it needs. Characters that are shitty leaders can end up in clan-lead positions by seniority alone. For a clan like the merchant guard that needs a player like Songweaver or Radioactivejesus in command to move and shake things.

Its funny a year ago playing Prpi and atonement before that, I hated the idea of staff interfering with families and leadership. I wanted players to control everything and do everything. I was so wrong. I'm a firm believer that every player should have an opportunity to prove they can lead a clan, but if they have proven they can't or have spotty activity or questionable marks on their pfile they shouldn't be in charge.

Why do you think that we are seeing such low numbers on WHO nowadays?

Stagnation to the 9th degree. Utterby is temporary so there is no drive to throw down roots there. Plots are rare and there isn't enough players to do much. There is snarfagle all to do PVE wise, you can hunt mobs or go to the bog. There is little rp value in any of that. The pvp conflict between the two spheres is completely one sided and one dimensional. You lose PVP and die, the risk are too extreme.

IF laketown is anywhere close to ready, the master of Utterby should wake up tomorrow and decide that Utterby is doomed and we should evacuate all assets and people over the course of an IG year. This will make the merchant guard less important, new groups can form in preparation for laketown, assets can be gathered and caravans can be run to move goods out of utterby. BUT we haven't heard anything from staff in a long time about whats going on. I would wager Laketown wont happen till late 2016, early 2017.

The staff need to step in and make changes. But then the staff will turn around and say the players need to step up and make things happen. The end result is status quo.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:47 pm

Yeah Laketown is just about done. I've been hesitant about moving us too quickly with player numbers being down. LT is pretty big, after all. That and with the Lodge struggling, been pondering the proper structure for the clans there.

Anyways, yes me and the RPAs are pondering a contradiction. We've told people that looting the dead is bad, and that other side stuff is forbidden and cursed. But... That makes it impossible for us to give you cool loot via plots unless its pristine and wrapped and new. So, that's something me and F & the RPAs need to look at and potentially change. Don't blame players in leadership positions though for following staff guidelines.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby MrT2G » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:02 pm

To Loot or Not to Loot

Real wrote:
Recently, there was an incident involving this where tensions rose to a remarkably high point - not naming names, but I believe it boils down to difference in what players want from the game. Maybe it was fully IC, but it struck me as a stretch, and the response seemed disproportionately high/violent compared to what was being debated, jarring and somewhat out of place in the scene.

I was in awe of the scene unfolding via staff, and then I was in awe of the buzzkill on offer by those unnamed.

I agree with this perspective 100%. However, cultural influences will causes certain characters to lean to either end of the extremes on this. While other characters may simply choose to back up those with whom they have stronger ties, regardless of personal preferences, in times of conflict.

OOCly, I would have preferred that the whole bit never happened.

Debbie Downers

Real wrote: A clanlead position in an RPI is not your opportunity to go on a power trip and ignore the OOC responsibility of the role.

Leaving the gates does not equate to fulfillment of the role.

People do not join the Guard to chop logs all day.
People do not join the Guard to mass-hunt solo mobs using the hunting crafts.
People do not join the Guard to do the same patrol between the burned gatehouse and the bridge ad infinitum.

Again, I agree with this in general. Some things to consider are that characters' individual abilities and equipment will determine a lot of what can and can't be done. No one wants to die. Some of the more mundane things which no none really wants to do are the best way to build up a force that will be able to do the things everyone wants to do.

The less fun things also often need to get done for the more fun things to happen.

Another thing is that often there is no reason to just go tromping off through the woods in search of a good time. This particularly true in regards to the 'middle management' who would likely to face repercussions should such a pointless, but fun patrol end up going wrong.

I would also add that leadership positions, especially those at the top, carry many more responsibilities than just leading fun patrols. Leaving all the more mundane duties undone or for others in leadership positions (or not) to do discourages any desire for others to want to put out effort which they will ultimately get no recognition or reward for.

Lastly, I'd say there is no incentive for lower ranked individuals to put out effort or take risks to accomplish goals or create fun. Players seem to either be promoted based solely on seniority, ooc relationships, or through roles. This creates an environment where the best strategy is to sit around, not risk creating a bad name for yourself with anyone, and just trying to out survive the other guy.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby MrT2G » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Icarus wrote:That and with the Lodge struggling, been pondering the proper structure for the clans there.

At the risk of derailing this thread, I'd just ditch the Lodge. Let players run their own shops and hire their own employees. The successful will thrive and the inactive or poorly managed will die out. The Artisan's Union can be the invisible hand managing it all.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:07 pm

All my fault, alas. Not terribly sorry, either. What harm is there in PCs actually disagreeing about how strongly they believe in cultural mores? It was pretty nice, to me.

I certainly don't see you ignoring it, Real, but instead perpetuating/having conversations about whether it was moral/right/correct. Why be willing to debate moral quandaries and what's 'right' if you don't actually want it in the game?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Real » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Because it already happened.
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:16 pm

What harm is there in PCs actually disagreeing about how strongly they believe in cultural mores? It was pretty nice, to me.

(Since we're posting one-liners, I'll just repost a one-liner, for about the same effort.)
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby MrT2G » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:19 pm

tehkory wrote:

All my fault, alas. Not terribly sorry, either. What harm is there in PCs actually disagreeing about how strongly they believe in cultural mores? It was pretty nice, to me.

I certainly don't see you ignoring it, Real, but instead perpetuating/having conversations about whether it was moral/right/correct. Why be willing to debate moral quandaries and what's 'right' if you don't actually want it in the game?

My personal qualm is more in how/when it happened rather then that it actually happened.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:29 pm

MrT2G wrote:My personal qualm is more in how/when it happened rather then that it actually happened.

That's fair, I suppose! I'm usually the one who feels like looting the dead post combat with people at 1 star feels incredibly OOC. Why aren't we more concerned about so-and-so dying from his wounds on the back? A couple of PCs nearly died, and honestly their state should've been paid more attention to. But people didn't. They saw a fancy french word that isn't on other armors and thought, 'ooo, neat.' They ignored the nearly-dead, possibly-dying.

...mostly because, honestly, people wanted that cool-ass item. But, these days? You know what this is? It's a false dilemma. It's a solved problem. Why? I'll tell you why. But first, a quote that's misleading:

The idea that the status quo is leaving behind the cool objects that staff put in extra effort to make interesting is somewhat frustrating. Not everyone wants a sharp, bog-iron longsword from the local smith. It's the dream for a lot of combat PCs to get ahold of a cool magic sword or at least a badass unique one.

Because just leaving behind or destroying cool items sucks. It's a bummer, and you know that people involved are groaning behind their screens.

These cool objects with stories don't just come from dead Staff mobs. Players can make them. Master Crafting exists. Players can gift them to one another. And Staff can get them to players in other ways than from so-and-so's cold dead hands.

This is one incident wherein some characters with a certain mindset butted heads with a character/characters that felt a different way. That's great. That's nothing to run onto the forums and fuss about, particularly when Staff just released an article about all the cool new rules that none of you posted on and it seems all of you must've missed, given your complaints. I'll direct you to said thread now:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2498

Everything else, though? Hell yeah I agree with you. But there's Master-Crafting now, so everyone can be super and have unique items with stories they hand from person to person.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Real » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:36 pm

My point revolves largely around "Is mixing OOC consideration into your IC action crazy, or to be expected?" - But Icarus commented that staff have contradicted their intent already, because yes it is nice to take nice things home from time to time. If you look at the time posted, you will see that it was after the op.

It's about risk-reward in RPTs, a completely OOC issue. Sometimes, we have to consider that stuff because we're playing a game and we wanna take back loot after we all nearly die and go down to one star. The problem with this disagreement in particular is the way it was handled, through the funnel mentioned in the op, see the second section.

To note, the PC in question did say multiple times IG that their plan was to make one of these master crafts from the recovered. Given that we have never seen oqual hardened leathers, it would likely prove difficult to design them from scratch.
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Ancalagon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Well dang, people don't want cursed loot? And here I was working on a really nifty tea-kettle that spews insults every time someone pours a cup. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Ancalagon
Roleplay Admin

Postby Rishte » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:59 pm

I was digging the echos, Anca! It was very Monty Python.
Rishte
The Shadow

Postby MrT2G » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:42 pm

Ancalagon wrote:Well dang, people don't want cursed loot? And here I was working on a really nifty tea-kettle that spews insults every time someone pours a cup. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

If you make it an endless vassal of ale, I want it.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Gobbo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:47 am

Icarus wrote:Yeah Laketown is just about done. I've been hesitant about moving us too quickly with player numbers being down. LT is pretty big, after all. That and with the Lodge struggling, been pondering the proper structure for the clans there.

Anyways, yes me and the RPAs are pondering a contradiction. We've told people that looting the dead is bad, and that other side stuff is forbidden and cursed. But... That makes it impossible for us to give you cool loot via plots unless its pristine and wrapped and new. So, that's something me and F & the RPAs need to look at and potentially change. Don't blame players in leadership positions though for following staff guidelines.

Player numbers are partially down because you are moving too slowly :P.

For loot I hate any type of weapon or armor loot that is better than what the average pc has, particularly magic. The way to do loot right is either materials that are somewhat difficult to get or special items that are just there for flare. Like a golden goblet or silk shirt for example. The only weapon that is acceptable is a weapon that is equal to every other except is needed for some special task like killing ghost. That way it can move ghost plots but never be op.

Back to icarus and clans in laketown. Do away with the lodge it is horrible. Laketown is a merchant town, open shops to just about everyone who is willing to pay taxes, offer tax breaks to shop owners who take PC apprentices into their shop to learn the trade. That is how you give newbies an opportunity to break into the trade. Don't put arbitrary limits on how many of one type of shop there is. IF two armor crafters open separate shops down the street from each other, nerf the income a bit (or better yet do away with npc sell orders) Let them compete, if armorer A has weeks of backlogged orders then Armor B looks appealing even if his prices are higher.

For the merchant guard, repurpose it or remove it. They should be law enforcement only. I think in this capacity the merchant guard should be small, the 3-5 PC's in it should be Sheriffs and Deputies. Laketown is civilized it doesn't need a standing army, it needs a few police officers
to keep order.

What I would like to see is some kinda witcher 3 esque bulletin board where the town officials and wealthy merchants post jobs that require 3-10 PCs to do them and they get a reward. For example, clear out a spider nest threatening the road, 300 copper to split amongst whoever does it. Protect a caravan for 50 copper per head. These are little mini-plots that a staff can run almost spontaneously. It can keep things fresh with some creativeness. You can also let pc's use this board to hire out temporary construction workers or an escort for exploration and resource gathering. BUT it is critical that the staff keep this board populated with stuff people want to do.

I bet with this method small combat clans will form to take on these contracts, its possible one or two large combat clans will form instead to monopolize the contracts. I don't think that is a problem. No one will mind if everyone is getting paid :P Just for fucks sakes don't let the artisan union arbitrarily decide that these clans need licenses to full fill contracts that artisans and the town want completed. Also if there is licenses for combat clans, don't impose player limits on it just to stop people from flocking to it if it is better than the merchant guard.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Postby Rishte » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:21 pm

I am going to Laketown. Bai guyz!

Editing to add...

In all seriousness, we are working our fur-buns off to get Laketown up and ready for you guys. There is some other stuff in store that we've been working on which will be detailed in the Newsletter too (so watch for that)!

About leadership and plots. It is not all on us, guys. It really is in your guys' hands. There have been a ton of plots abounding the game for the past few months and if players reaction to them is 'meh' or you guys ignore us... well. Where can we go with the plot aside from hitting you back and forth across the face with it? No one wants that! As far as the Lodge goes... it isn't working, you're right but that is not all on us or the design of the clan, at all. Its very difficult on staff and the leads there when people roll up in and get all 'I want this, I need this'. Okay! We got it, but some things are seasonal. Some things are rare. Some things you need to go IC and get. Having stable, solid leaders would help, yes. Fret not, my dears! We've bickered and debated and duked it out, maybe arm-wrestled, and are looking at ways to make clans like the Lodge, be more sustainable and more tangible in Laketown.
Rishte
The Shadow

Postby Songweaver » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:46 pm

I would strongly encourage more staff-scheduled, publicly advertised (here, on the in-game boards, on OR, on TMS, on TMC) RPTs. If plots aren't moving, it's probably not because players don't want to be a part of them; it could simply be that they're not aware that they are happening, or have been unsuccessful at syncing up with the RPAs' schedule.

Advertise energetically, staff, and reach out to players that are on hiatus. Convince them to play again, and point them to an awesome RPT as a good jumping back in point. Make RPTs regular (why not do 4 a week?) and exciting.

In short, create a culture where the game becomes (as it always has been when it's been at its best) about an ongoing metaplot, and all of the smaller plots (both player and admin) that feed into it. Some folks may just pop on to play in the RPTs -- at first. Over time, though, you will certainly rebuild your playerbase.

And as far as player-driven plots go ... support and reward these! Too much has been done to block and stop player plots here in the past year. The Artisans Union is a bottleneck. It's not making it easier for players to band together and create plots and create clans and go out and do things. It's extremely telling that player-created and player-run clans haven't survived for more than a few weeks, with very few exceptions. Even the Free Peoples clan only lasted for a few months, and it took an incredible amount of effort on the players' parts to keep it from being snuffed sooner. This is the most major philosophical departure from previous incarnations of the game, and the most destructive departure simultaneously.

In summary:

- RPTs. It's easiest to just improvise running plots and animations, but it only works well when you have a very active and engaged player-base. That's not what SOI is right now. So, schedule stuff! I know that this is happening more now than it was before, but go even further! And ...

- Advertise every RPT, make them sound exciting, get out in the greater community and talk to players. You can't build your playerbase by isolating yourself in a single community. That's now how SOI worked in its golden days, and for a reason.

- Give more freedom to players in terms of the roles they play and allowing them to create their own clans. The Artisans Union is too restricting, and it's only hurt the game. The generic human clans (Guard/Lodge) have largely failed for the vast majority of their existence.

About leadership and plots. It is not all on us, guys. It really is in your guys' hands. There have been a ton of plots abounding the game for the past few months and if players reaction to them is 'meh' or you guys ignore us... well. Where can we go with the plot aside from hitting you back and forth across the face with it?

I think that this is where soft gloves have proven to not serve SOI3 well so far. There simply hasn't been a sense that plot carries with it consequences for failure or inaction. Plots haven't offered meaningful choices to players with results that are more nuanced than "good ending/bad ending". Beyond that, there's no sense that Utterby is actually in danger, because it's not (even if the orcs have been thrashing the humans for months). It's safe. It's all too safe.

And thus, player urgency and player agency is diminished.

The best plot so far (from the perspective of someone who puts a lot of mental energy into theorizing the actual design of plots) was Alcarin's Spider plot. Not because giant spiders are a super unique concept, or only because Alcarin and Fulgrim's depictions of the spiders were great (they were).

It's because there were inherent mechanics designed that held very serious consequences for inaction. There weren't any kid gloves. And so, activity spiked, different players who don't always interact banded together, and a relatively easy plot to run (from the admin-side) created a great amount of content and roleplay.

Very few players will risk the lives of their PCs to engage in plot if that plot doesn't actually have any meaningful consequences, and the world (and metaplot) doesn't have a chance to meaningfully change when it's over.

ETA:

Witcher 3, praised for its great story quests, has one of the best designed quests/plots that I've ever seen. There is no good outcome, and there is no bad outcome. The consequences are not always obvious based on the decisions you make, meaning that there's no sense for the player that there is a "right decision" and a "wrong decision". Read up on it, because it's exactly the sort of plot that SOI could dazzle players with:

The Bloody Baron's Story
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Admin propped clans are terrible a lot of the time. The Lodge has been literally from day one. It's never seemed to work right. It's hard for that to be possible unless admins are animating the npc leaders incredibly often. Why would you not want PCs to run their own clans? That's what people WANT to do. Not make enough coin a rl week to buy 3 drinks at the tavern. Disappear as a leader in the Lodge without notice? Takes 3 months or longer to change leaders if that even happens. Thats crazy and why the game has been bleeding players. To many IC rules and restrictions.

Do you really expect new players to stick around when they have yo log in on wednesday at 2 pm to talk to the PC wicker basket foreman about getting a job?

That and allowing people that haven't even played the game to roll unstoppable killing machines with unattainable stats and equipmemt.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Songweaver wrote:I would strongly encourage more staff-scheduled, publicly advertised (here, on the in-game boards, on OR, on TMS, on TMC) RPTs. If plots aren't moving, it's probably not because players don't want to be a part of them; it could simply be that they're not aware that they are happening, or have been unsuccessful at syncing up with the RPAs' schedule.

This. Overall, I agree with a lot of what Songweaver expressed in his post.

I'd also note that many characters have very IC reasons to try to avoid some of the things I've believe may have been used to attract attention towards certain plots. I don't think it is reasonable for admins to expect characters to alter their own logic/perceptions to chase plot lines.

As a player, I prefer a low magic environment and would like to see more plots exploring the darker sides of men; bandits, staged murders, things -inside- of the palisades as well as out. Also, traders coming to town in search of relics learned of in distant libraries or better yet a book to sell to be researched IG and eventually lead to an excursion? Hide books in tombs and let players find them, research them, then set out in search of whatever mysteries they made hold. Maybe a cache of iron from an old smelter or an extravagant but useless relic to trade to traders for coin or other goods. Have the players run into a competing group of treasure hunters (or bandits? or orcs?) and leave things open to be resolved in any number of different ways.

This is the sort of thing I'd like to see more of. I also think potential existential threats (such as the Piemaker) are good because they force players into action where many may choose to avoid tangling with spirits or magic if otherwise able.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:16 pm

Definitely agree with both of you on plots.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:07 pm

This is the sort of thing I'd like to see more of. I also think potential existential threats (such as the Piemaker) are good because they force players into action where many may choose to avoid tangling with spirits or magic if otherwise able.

The Piemaker doesn't definitely count, 'cause it's not been something that targets anyone other than those that cheerily line up for it.

Songweaver's dead on, though.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Tepes » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:42 am

I agree with Songweaver about plots. I'd totally be down to play again if plots were more prevalent than when I tried last.
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:18 am

It seems that people are in support of the ideas I posted about. Population's a big problem right now, in-game. SOI's actually rather close to not having a playerbase at all, at the moment. What can be done to be done to attack this issue immediately (not long term)?

- Regular (four is a great number) RPTs a week to help continually push along plots.
- Challenging plots with multiple outcomes, where right/wrong isn't such an obvious choice. Don't be afraid to kill PCs (in a good way).
- Tie your plots into a larger story. Don't leave plots hanging.
- Advertise every RPT here, in-game, on Optional Realities, Top Mud Sites, The Mud Connector, and anywhere else you can!
- Reach out to old players (hunt them down) and convince them to jump in and give the RPTs a shot, and stick around if they're having fun.

But, what do the staff think of this?
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Gobbo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:24 am

Honestly in the current situation I think we could use some gear loaded by staff into npc shops.

Things like decent weapons and a armor were hard to get from the inept lodge when we actually had a player base. Now its just about impossible. Without weapons and armor you can't go outside and get involved with any dangerous plots.

Correct this and at least newer characters can get involved with things more quickly. Oh and try not to gouge the shit out of the prices on that stuff, new characters have 150-200 coin. If I can only get one piece of armor out of that this wont solve the problem.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Postby Canawa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:34 pm

One acronym that I haven't seen this entire post is pRPT. Did those go extinct with soi2 or did I miss them?
Canawa
Dwarf Recruit

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login