Direction Order

Postby Melkor » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Code: Select all
Upon A Rapid-Running, Frigid River
Exits: north east south west down northeast
southeast southwest

A Crowded Hardwood Backwood
Exits: north east south west northeast southeast

These rooms were picked at random from the guest lounge. I think it would make it a lot easier to picture all the extra directions if they were listed during the "Exits:" part in a more logical order.

The first one for example, it lists north, east, south, west, down, northeast, southeast, southwest.

It would be easier to picture these directions in your head when you read them if they were in the order: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, down

It would look like this:

Code: Select all
Upon A Rapid-Running, Frigid River
Exits: north northeast east southeast south
southwest west down

This way, the directions are being listed in the order that you would turn your head to see them if you began at north and went around clockwise, with more seldom used directions like up (coming in the middle after the normal eight directions) and down (coming at the end, after upward exits) and all their variants also listed in north then clockwise order. if upnorth were a direction in this room, it would come before down, then downnorth, downnortheast, etc.

So a master list for their order would be: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest, up, upnorth, upnortheast, upeast, upsoutheast, upsouth, upsouthwest, upwest, upnorthwest, down, downnorth, downnortheast, downeast, downsoutheast, downsouth, downsouthwest, downwest, downnorthwest (is that all of them?)

Would this be a difficult addition to add? It would certainly make reading and picturing all the directions easier, thus increasing immersion.
Last edited by Melkor on Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Re: Directions

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Great idea
Matt
Ent Sapling

Re: Direction Order

Postby Icarus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:37 am

Would you make a support ticket? I'd be happy to look into this.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Melkor » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:55 am

Will do.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Grommit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:34 pm

The only challenge here is that each exit direction is represented by an underlying number, and when the new directions were added, they were added at the end. That's why you see them after the original NESW instead of integrated as you say.

They're saved in the world files as numbers, so if we re-ordered them, all exits in the world would get screwy (they would still link to the '7th' direction, but now this would be e.g. upwest instead of southeast). So we'd either have to write a converter script to feed the worldfiles through to convert them from legacy as a one-time thing, or leave the underlying representation the same and sort the exits visually before displaying them to you. That would be less one-time work, but it would make the game engine do a bit more computational work every time someone types 'look' or 'exits'.
Grommit
Game Coder

Postby cfelch » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:22 pm

7th exit = se
seems like an awkward way to do exits....
wouldn't it make more sense for it to be
e = room 43569

The order they are shown in should be purely aesthetic and have no bearing on when they were initialized.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login