It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Resignation

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Should the game go to Icarus?

Should staff give creative control to Icarus?
33%
Should they continue with their vision of SOI?
30%
I don't know or care.
36%

Total votes : 33

Resignation

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:09 am

I think a lot of very well known players have made a large statement on the direction of this game. Nimrod has ignored it and continues to want to grind player numbers down with terrible decisions. From game design to unfair treatment of players. Yes this is a volunteer game but it's one many people have loved for a long time. It should be ran in an engaging and fair way. The first person that comes to mind is Icarus who was a great admin. Who lefy left because of creative differences. This is me asking nimrod and frigga to resign.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Re: Resignation

Postby Bones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:15 am

Fourth option: Should stupid votes be locked, for doing nothing other than stirring up the pot, knowing that they will accomplish nothing more than more angry feelings.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:18 am

Inflammatory, designed only to create ill feelings towards staff thereby receive snappy, angry responses which you will take as evidence to justify your feelings.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Bones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:19 am

Honestly, Hawkwind, that could have been directed at either one of us.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:21 am

This poll assumes Icarus wants control of SOI and hasn't moved onto another project. You may want to contact him first. Not to mention it's highly unlikely that staff will just up and give control of the game to someone else because of a poll.
Last edited by Jeshin on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 am

Bones wrote:Honestly, Hawkwind, that could have been directed at either one of us.

Matt, he says he is a marine. Sounds like a bitch.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Bones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 am

Language, Hawkwind.. But the vote is a pointless inflammatory one, yes.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 am

I would ideally see people try and work together on creative differences to encompass a best of all possibilities scenario. I believe that Icarus has good ideas, and Nimrod has good ideas, and Frigga has good ideas. I would love all of those ideas to come together and work in harmony. If this isn't possible it's definitely unfortunate. However, tehkory has put it better than I will; the people making the game need to be able to implement the vision that they are passionate about making. If we're going to speak in absolutes such as a poll like this allows, that's what I'd choose.

We have a very vocal contingent of players on the forums who don't like things about the current administration/direction of the game, that much is obvious from reading the forums. These vocal forum goers do not necessarily represent the majority of the playerbase; as has always been true, there are many players that don't check the forums that it is difficult to account for. We have players who are less blaringly vocal about their points of view who occasionally quietly offer a point of view, but don't staunchly continually post about it. I imagine there are players who are satisfied with the current direction of things as well.

Thing is, none of these groups of players are objectively correct. There is no correct way to do things. There are ways that would please the significantly loud on the forums section of the playerbase, sure, but would that please the section of the playerbase that isn't as loud? There isn't a right answer here. Icarus's vision isn't "right". Matt's vision isn't "right". My vision isn't "right". Nimrod's vision isn't "right" either -- but he is currently the one building the game, and is currently the one leading it.

It really does suck that Icarus' and his creative visions are so wildly different that they felt a need to part ways -- I hope that this is true and that they felt there really were irreconcilable differences between how they felt they needed to do things, and I hope that it wasn't one of those cases where ego gets in the way of the decision making process on either side.

As it stands now Nimrod is the one who is building, and it would appear that the rest of the current staff are going to continue to put that work in, so this is the vision that is going to be made. Not everyone will like it, but it's never possible to please all parties, unfortunately.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Justanothacivy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:47 am

This isn't constructive and only serves to take the wind out of the sails of all the VOLUNTEER staff we have. Mistakes were made and admitted. Beating a dead horse won't help.

How about offering a plan for custom character submission standardization or something instead?
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:59 am

Justanothacivy wrote:This isn't constructive and only serves to take the wind out of the sails of all the VOLUNTEER staff we have. Mistakes were made and admitted. Beating a dead horse won't help.

How about offering a plan for custom character submission standardization or something instead?

I did! So did Eltanim. It's not going to be considered, per Nimrod.
Nimrod wrote:The problem is with the upper tier, the Invited Roles. Being able to boost these players to levels that allow them to actively perform their duties immediately is what I'm balking at when it comes to all of your (collective) suggestions for rules and standards.

ETA a quote and reduce firmness of language.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:28 am

As someone who's had tremendous frustration with staff decisions in the past (obviously, dissatisfaction is the reason I no longer play), I just have to say that there's nothing even remotely constructive (or realistic) about this thread.

Regardless of whether your complaints are valid or not, if your frustrations have got to the point where you are publicly asking head admins to resign, then probably the best things for everybody would be for you to part company and find something more satisfying to do with your time.

Please don't take this as a put down or a criticism. I understand that these posts are a result of passionate disagreement, I have been on that side of the fence in the past.

But I've learned that at some point, the best thing you can do is simply accept that it's not an argument anybody can win, and either accept things as they are, or walk away.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby cfelch » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:41 am

I have to agree that this poll will not be productive.
At the same time, I can find no reason to condemn someone for speaking out.
Even vitriol serves a purpose.

You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby MrT2G » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Lets stage an argument to create a false premise designed to give people a choice between two OOC clique. Neither of which should have any influence in Staff decisions or policy.
Last edited by MrT2G on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Bones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Fine. Kirk or Picard.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby cfelch » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Janeway
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Patty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Tuvok
<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
The head is there.
Patty
Honored Dwarf

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Han Solo
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Bones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 pm

As Gandalf the Gray once said, directing Harry Potter into battle in his X-Wing Fighter..

"Make it So, Chosen One. Make it So."
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Knight26 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Nimrod and Frigga are far more qualified to run this game.

Matt can you please stop with the war mongering.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby Bones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Ancalagon has solved the issue.. It is done..

Ancalagon wrote:Subject: Resignation

Bones wrote:Fine. Kirk or Picard.

There is only one true captain.

Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby cfelch » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Captain Caveman Addams
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:33 pm

This thread makes me chuckle. What's the vote total?
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Knight26 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:35 pm

9 for you to move. 7 for you to stay. And a few don't give a damn.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby Bones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:36 pm

But please, Nimrod.. Tell us how this hardcore and policy-changing vote will affect SoI.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Knight26 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:41 pm

It's crazy for me to process the fact that some of these people have been playing this game religiously for 10+ years. They have devoted so much time and effort into this game as players and staff. They have built relationships, friends and comrades and now they just act like total dogs. It's sad because they wouldn't be posting all this cr*p if they didn't give a damn about SOI's future. But man.. this is just getting so out of hand!
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login