It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:34 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Resignation

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Should the game go to Icarus?

Should staff give creative control to Icarus?
33%
Should they continue with their vision of SOI?
30%
I don't know or care.
36%

Total votes : 33

Re: Resignation

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:48 pm

I said in the other thread that we've become like a dysfunctional families; you know, those families where two brothers wont attend the same gathering because they want to murder each other, and where everyone knows everyone else's dirty secrets and delight in any chance to bring it up one more time.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Knight26 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Jeremy Kyle suggests both families just don't talk to each other and get on with their lives.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby Real » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:56 pm

ffs, don't let this devolve into opposed cults of personality

It's true that the direction of the game shifted recently. In a way that a lot of people don't like, but this is getting so ridiculous. Okay guys, we went with the progressive choice and decided to lay our problems on the table and discuss them at length with eachother, to the point that lots of usually friendly, chill and respectable players are frothing at the mouth, threatening to quit and leaving morose obituaries, citing why Nimrod is lucifer incarnate. Or that his decisions about special applications are really what makes or breaks this game.

Before this latest rendition I played SOI for years and years. TE, Amdir, Angost, FJ, Caolafon, MT, Pel-Anorien...I never even gave two seconds' thought to the overarcing meta and whether special apps were unfair. Yea, I was a 0 RPP player for a long time so I had a bit of grumpiness toward people with superpowered elven gear or those who would roll in as a noble or set-up journeyman. But, the core of the game was enough to keep me around and I think we can argue that game leadership has progressed by leaps and bounds since then.

Because, let's be realistic here, this thread would not exist under the old dictatorship. They would not address your concerns, they would probably make fun of you in shows of cutting sarcasm and lock/delete threads, ban you from the forums or similar. It was if you don't like it, don't even tell me or you will never get an RPP again.

By some miracle or else just getting used to the status quo, numbers were very high on oldSOI. People just played the game, stuff was shockingly unfair but they played.

Why.

It could be because staff, and their positions on ethics are not everything?
Maybe because we were invested in the gameworld and its characters?
Possibly because the game is about roleplay and not pvp balance?
Or even that we've just been around long enough that we're attached now.

SOI is its own microcosm, we are a community composed of many walks of life seeking different things from this game, and we disagree over stuff like a family. We get into very heated discussions, because we care about this game. Why else would we still be playing it after so many years? I mean damn, I've never stuck with a game this long in my life.

It's become almost cliché at this point for me to pop open the laptop and see AIM and the forums flooding with people who all have this one sentiment, this intense, intense kind of foot-stomping. Yes I'm going there, I just don't find posts about how "I'm quitting cause staff are unfair" to be particularly tasteful aside from the gratification of being passive-aggressive.

*sigh*

Guys. Take a few ativan, smoke a joint, listen to some music or whatever else chills you out, but remember that we are all here to have a good time on this game, together, we all contribute and we all feed off the contributions of others. Staff spend a huge amount of their free time building a world for you, you spend a huge amount of time building characters to inhabit their world.

Take it down like ten notches. Shit doesn't have to change like TODAY or TOMORROW. I'm not incredibly thrilled about these recent staff comments but you bet your ass I'm gonna keep logging in. I'm not protesting a damn thing, if staff are gonna do stuff a certain way then I'm gonna get over it and enjoy the game despite.

If the way Nimrod runs things is so unbelievably unbelievable that you can't spend one more day under his cruel reign, then just...dip. Why are people still here spamming the forums with the b*tch saga, if you can't deal then stop making the game look like shit to new players.

I mean damn.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Knight26 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:05 pm

I think Nim and Frig are being too reasonable and people are taking advantage of that and attacking them publicly and atrociously.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby Canawa » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:21 pm

I don't mind the way the game is going or has been. /shrug

Seems like Matt just has something out to prove a point that "I DONT PLAY THIS GAME AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU."
Canawa
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Canawa wrote:I don't mind the way the game is going or has been. /shrug

Seems like Matt just has something out to prove a point that "I DONT PLAY THIS GAME AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU."

Thats what POGs do.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Canawa » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Hawkwind wrote:
Canawa wrote:I don't mind the way the game is going or has been. /shrug

Thats what POGs do.

You mean those cardboard things that I used to play with when I was a kid?
Canawa
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Brian wrote:I said in the other thread that we've become like a dysfunctional families; you know, those families where two brothers wont attend the same gathering because they want to murder each other, and where everyone knows everyone else's dirty secrets and delight in any chance to bring it up one more time.

My hope is that we can just get this out of our system. That's why I'm not locking any of these threads. It is like a huge family blow up and I'm convinced that it's better to get it out of our system, hear all the sides and move on.

I have nothing to hide and won't bend to pressure on things I am convinced are right. I do listen to players concerns and incorporate those concerns in to my thought process. I will continue to answer all questions as politely as I can. I urge all to be as civil as you can be as well.

Staff remains strongly committed to the game, as do I.

[edited to clarify my point on not bending to pressure. -Nim]
[edited again to correct my spelling of the word 'clarify'. -Nim]
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:57 pm

People other than grunts for marines, Commonwealth would be a Ponti (person of no tactical importance) dont hear the british one too often now.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Nimrod wrote:
Brian wrote:I said in the other thread that we've become like a dysfunctional families; you know, those families where two brothers wont attend the same gathering because they want to murder each other, and where everyone knows everyone else's dirty secrets and delight in any chance to bring it up one more time.

My hope is that we can just get this out of our system. That's why I'm not locking any of these threads. It is like a huge family blow up and I'm convinced that it's better to get it out of our system, hear all the sides and move on.

honestly, it's been kind of working for me.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Bones » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm enjoying myself.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:56 pm

Lol personal attacks on me and my military experience...? You couldn't find anything better? LOL YOU WERE IN THE IRAQ WAR WHEN YOU WERE 19 LOL PUSSY. Seriously?

Look at the poll. Did you think I actually thought nimrod would be like ok lolol games yours? Point is look how many people voted on the issue and how many people are so disappointed in the game THAT much.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Rishte » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:12 am

Rishte
The Shadow

Postby Nimrod » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:52 am

Matt wrote:Lol personal attacks on me and my military experience...? You couldn't find anything better? LOL YOU WERE IN THE IRAQ WAR WHEN YOU WERE 19 LOL PUSSY. Seriously?

Look at the poll. Did you think I actually thought nimrod would be like ok lolol games yours? Point is look how many people voted on the issue and how many people are so disappointed in the game THAT much.

I'm a vet too, Matt, so the first half of this post got my attention rather quickly. I spent 20 minutes trying to find the post you're referring to and cannot locate it. Could you please point it out to me? This is why I like to quote things when I can rather than just referring to a previous post in a vague manner.

On to the second paragraph... Yep. I looked at the poll. I even voted. I believe you are misinterpreting the results, in fact, they are completely inconclusive.

But I will say that I feel the poll does allow one to draw the conclusion that there is a small group of players that are in your camp. The same small group that were throwing rocks in the Trust thread.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Bones » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:30 am

I would suggest, as a vet myself, no one attacks anyone over their service. Unless you were in the Coast Guard.. Which, as we all know, is the red-headed step child of the military.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby cfelch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:38 am

What about rent-a-cops?
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Bones » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:44 am

Well really, Rent-a-cops are more like JROTC kids. Annoying, and most people don't respect them.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:24 am

Hawkwind wrote:
Bones wrote:Honestly, Hawkwind, that could have been directed at either one of us.

Matt, he says he is a marine. Sounds like a bitch.

He deleted the rest like a coward. It's not camp vs camp or whatever you think. I talk to like 3 people on AIM regularly. People I haven't heard from in years started messaging me their same feelings after you split the trust thread. It's an even split and yes you're right it doesn't mean a whole lot. But it does mean you lost a good chunk of players over completely unnecessary BS.

There are still other issues besides the whole rpp race nimrod homing arrows stuff.

Allowing people to reroll as clan leads. Telling one player X is not possible then allowing others to do it right after. One example is droll trying to get a northman clan going but being told he couldn't roll in with a couple others. Week later three brother's show up and take over a clan. No one even had the IC option to do so. There's a million rules and regulations for economics that arent enforced in anyway. Even when PCs are posting IG saying they're selling everything under the sun at their shop.

That's all stuff that can be avoided with a set of simple OOC rules. Why do we have pages of economic restrictions stifling us IG but you can't make rules for the game itself and stick by them? Seems to me everyone agrees at least on that.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:37 am

Didnt delete it myself, another did. Was in the army too.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Mavinero » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:21 pm

I leave for a little while, and things just tumble further and further down the decrepit rabbit hole. Go figure.
A small, shell-grey-eyed male begins to flicker and flash, turning to a red color as such happens. Without warning, a slim, silver-hilted lightsaber hilt ignites with a ruby-hued length. "Incorrect. I am programmed for queries, not pleasure."
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Tykanis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:43 pm

I personally believe that everyone has good ideas in the staff. However, Them working together with said ideas or even not knowing what the other ones are doing is a bit of an issue. And I really wish I could revote because my mousepad is silly. I don't swing for either side in this poll however, and find it mildly petty whats going around at this moment in time that doesn't have any real significance in attempting to get things changed. If you're going to post something, Cool, but at least try to have some other point than stoking the flames or belittling someone.
You finish eating a green and brown mushroom. You still feel hungry
eat belly-rot
You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach as the mushrooms hit.
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You finish eating a belly-rot mushroom.
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Postby Tykanis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Also, Heeeeey I am MCJROTC T.T
eat belly-rot
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Postby Real » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:56 pm

Mavinero wrote:I leave for a little while, and things just tumble further and further down the decrepit rabbit hole. Go figure.

Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Tykanis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:00 pm

However Matt, Polls and forum threads such as this -do not- help with anything other than making the staff even more short tempered and less interested in actually listening to what -we- as players have to say.
eat belly-rot
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login