Change font size

General Discussion

General Questions for Laketown

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

General Questions for Laketown

Postby Tepes » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Will time be x4 as it was in SoI?

IE: 1 day in real life = 4 days in game?
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Re: General Questions for Laketown

Postby Icarus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Yup!

Nimrod, could you check our forum perms? Looks like there is still a wonky approval thing going on.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nimrod » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:54 am

Icarus wrote:Yup!

Nimrod, could you check our forum perms? Looks like there is still a wonky approval thing going on.

Yep. I'm checking now.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:23 am

Should be fixed. Registered and Newly-Registered Users should be able to create topics without approval now.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Tepes » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Nice.

Will we have access to knowing a basic amount of what stat a skill uses
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby gtkaca » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:30 am

Nimrod wrote:Should be fixed. Registered and Newly-Registered Users should be able to create topics without approval now.

But I dont have the 'Post a reply' & 'Post a new topic' buttons for ooc chatter & the green dragon inn board :?:
gtkaca
Verified Member

Postby Freon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:38 am

This is the only forum area I can reply to :(
Freon
Verified Member

Postby Freon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:39 am

And it requires admin approval... :(
Freon
Verified Member

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:50 am

I thought I had this issue fixed, I'll take another look at it and make some tweaks to try to get the approval requirement removed. Sorry for the problem.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:00 am

Nimrod wrote:I thought I had this issue fixed, I'll take another look at it and make some tweaks to try to get the approval requirement removed. Sorry for the problem.

I think this is fixed now.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Kendra » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:11 am

I can reply here.
Kendra

Postby Icarus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:52 am

Excellent!! Any more questions?

"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Freon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:10 pm

What will the timeline be looking like (in game timeline) and what should we be expecting, story wise? What kinds of conflicts will be present?

Meta:
What code changes are/have been made?
Freon
Verified Member

Postby Nimrod » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:35 pm

Freon wrote:What code changes are/have been made?

We are running the ARPI codebase with mods for weather, time, seasons, bows. Kithrater has added a lot of features that we've not seen before which I think you'll all like. They are too numerous to mention here, but one is the 'watch' command, which will allow your character to keep an eye on another character.

i.e. watch deacon will allow your character to still see the old curmudgeon even if he tries to hide or sneak away. It also works in adjacent rooms when he leaves. So if you're watching Deacon and he leaves the room heading north, you'll still keep an eye on him in the other room. When he leaves that room or performs an action you'll be able to see what he does and which direction he goes. Think 'shadow' on steroids. It'll be very nice for the sneaky types that want to do some stalking.

Another update that we've added is to directions. We've added 16 new directions, which we hope will help make mountain travel more realistic. Along with the base directions of n, s, e, w, up, down, ne, nw, se and sw, we've added the up and down component to all the cardinal and ordinal directions. So you may have exits that lead 'upnorth' or 'upnortheast' or 'downsouthwest'.

Additions were made by Kithrater to the variable system that allow us to create new variables on the fly without having to hardcode them. These variables may be passed from one item to another through progs and crafting. This greatly reduces our workload when creating crafts, while still allowing players to create a lot of cool stuff. i.e. a $woodtype log would produce a $woodtype board with a single craft. This variable would then flow on through to subsequent crafts, all the way to the end product. Variables also allow us to specify a skill modifier, so if you are using a very-fine bow you may get a +6 to your shortbow skill, while if you use a crudely-made bow, you may get a -6 modifier applied to your shortbow skill.

Along with the variables you will see 'quality' values of an item that will also allow modifications of a skill, so keeping your weapons sharpened and in tip-top condition will benefit your character in the long run.

The way skills are handled is radically different from the old SoI code as well. I'm not going to go into great detail on this point, but I will say that you'll be free to steer your character in whatever direction you want to when it comes to occupation and activity. I'm very excited about this new feature.

We have determined also that we will be testing out a radically new idea when it comes to craft timers as well. Of course crafts will have craft timers and the length of those timers will vary along with the difficulty of the craft. Craft timers may range from 1 hour up to 12 hours (or more if we determine a need). BUT! Instead of the code refusing to allow you to run a craft if there is ANY time on your character's craft timer, we will be setting a MAX time that your character may build up to and if you are below that time you may craft.

For example: Deacon might be playing a female clothier who manufactures only the finest garments. He has a number of crafts to choose from with craft timers ranging from 1 to 6 hours. Deacon also has a limited number of hours he may play each day (let's say 2 hours), so he wants to get the biggest bang for his buck. In the past he would log on, immediately craft something, and then go roleplay until his craft timer ran out and then run back and craft again, then go roleplay until his craft timer ran out again and then go craft something with a longer craft timer just before he logged out.

Instead of always worrying about the timers, now Deacon may do all of his crafting immediately upon logging in, build up his craft timer to 24 hours (or whatever we determine MAX should be) and then he can go roleplay without worrying about his craft timers. The timer would continue to count down even when he was offline, just like normal and the next day he could craft some more.

This puts crafters on an even playing field. i.e. A player who may only be able to play two hours a day will be able to keep up with the player who is online 16 hours a day.

This is to encourage ROLEPLAY and is merely an experiment that we will be testing during Alpha. If it does not work out, we'll simply back the MAX down to 1 hour and it will work just like it always did.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby bjg2k1us » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Nimrod wrote:Another update that we've added is to directions. We've added 16 new directions, which we hope will help make mountain travel more realistic. Along with the base directions of n, s, e, w, up, down, ne, nw, se and sw, we've added the up and down component to all the cardinal and ordinal directions. So you may have exits that lead 'upnorth' or 'upnortheast' or 'downsouthwest'.

As someone who tends to cringe away from MUDs that use anything beyond NESWUD for room movement, this seems like it might just give me an aneurysm. But I guess different strokes (HA HA GET IT?) for different folks and all.

Nimrod wrote:Everything else

Brilliant and awesome, and looking forward to seeing it in action.
bjg2k1us
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:17 pm

I concur, the multiple directions during the last edition of the game was incredibly unintuitive. Is there any chance we can get this reverted to the NSEWUD. Anything more than that is just too much information to process at any given time. Exist becomes a huge block of text as does the readout on the regular prompt.

Please, please, please drop the directions. Sixteen is just far too much!
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Emilio » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Actually, it's a total of 24 possible exits in a single room which is most improbable, but, not impossible. I doubt you're going to get so many exits nor exits in the same direction going up, down or level at the same time. If you want to avoid something so complex specially cities, be a farmer and live in open terrain.
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:42 pm

The main use for these directions will be for some of the more organic paths through Mirkwood. Rest assured that MOST places will be primarily using the NESWUD directions.

If it becomes horrible spam, that's why we are doing alpha :D

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nimrod » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:12 pm

What Icarus said. I don't like a lot of exits in a room either, but the upnorth type dirs allow for much more latitude when building mountainous terrain. You obviously won't see a room with more than one north direction, i.e. upnorth, downnorth, north.

Also... these allow us to make for climbing checks very easily.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Freon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:37 am

Very interesting. All good stuff.

I would suggest expanding the watch command further by allowing you to watch a direction as well.

This allows you to see actions and movement in the next room.

Also, it would be fun if watch allowed you to also take aim at what you are watching.

example commands:
watch deacon (as described)
watch deacon north
aim/throw north deacon (while you are watching him)
watch north (would maybe tie in with listen and other skills so you can hear snippets of conversation and see actions taking place, like for example if Deacon is having a conversation with his evil twin Nocaed.)

But I understand how hard coding can be so this is just a suggestion. Then again, maybe you've already thought of this.
Last edited by Freon on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freon
Verified Member

Postby Drew7uk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:08 am

Call me silly, but has there been a rough ETA on Alpha opening put down yet?
Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Emilio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 am

Having so many exits allows a lot of creativity like stairways where you have the same exit direction, but, it's up and down unless there also happen to be a door or a passageway in a different direction or a snake-like trail or road going up a mountain side.
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:51 am

We just like the flexibility it gives us.

As far as Alpha timeline, I'd say 6 months. Maybe earlier, but don't want to make promises I can't keep! We finished Phase 1 (write ups, lore, etc) and are almost wrapped up with Phase 2 (building rooms). Phase 3 is objects, mobiles, and crafts. Then we open Alpha!!

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby bjg2k1us » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:14 am

I think if it's used sparingly as the staff suggests it will, and if 'downsouthwest' can be abbreviated as 'dsw' for movement, etc., I could grow to appreciate it. It does open up some interesting possibilities, for sure.
bjg2k1us
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Emilio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:34 am

How long do we have to wait to gain detail information around Laketown? Since this is a remote location, I, kind of, expect to see a lot of differences in the local society, politics, economy, laws, food and available items like weapons, armor, clothing and equipment from previous SoI versions.
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login