It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:49 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Cheesebuns!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Cheesebuns!

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:15 pm

*Cheesebuns are available. How do I get one, you ask? Simple. Here's how.

Browse our site and post links to typos, broken links and stuff that's just plain wrong here. I will in turn distribute a single, perfectly toasted cheesebun, made by none other than Frigga, our cheesebun maven, to you, our persnickity web sniffer upon verification of your find. (Delivery times vary).

Duplicated findings will not be rewarded with a Cheesebun, but rather, you may agonize over the fact that you've just missed out on, what is most assuredly the best cheese bun that you've never tasted.

HURRY! Quantities are limited!

*Cheesebuns are virtual. Delivery time may vary. Please allow six to eight weeks for delivery to your virutal location. All prizes must be claimed within six minutes of posting, no members of staff at Shadows of Isildur may claim a cheesebun prize, but may instead, participate for the sheer joy of finding and squashing bugs. Thank you for your participation. Cheesebuns contain cheese. If you are lactose intolerant or have special dietary needs your prize may be substituted with an appropriate alternative, as deemed worthy by our staff.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Re: Cheesebuns!

Postby toofast » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:54 pm

http://www.middle-earth.us/

In the middle of the screen, under Original:

A completely original text rendering of Tolkien's Wildlands surrounding Long Lake and centering on the uniqueness of Laketown. Encompassing the northeastern section of Mirkwood, SoI-Laketown serves original copy for each and every room within the game. Going a step beyond the average RPI, SoI-Laketown provides the ultimate in environmental interaction though seasonal descriptions of outdoor locales.

Should 'though' be 'through'?
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 pm

toofastnig wrote:Should 'though' be 'through'?

Here's your cheesebun!

:nom:

Fixed! Thank you!
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:07 pm

When I input www.middle-earth.us into my browser bar it takes me to the front page of the old SoI site, back when it was blue. If it put in www.middle-earth.us it takes me to the new front page and changes the url to middle-earth.us. Is anyone else getting this? I've cleared my cache and my cookies twice, and I'm using a computer that never visited the old old front page, so I don't think it's me.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Nimrod » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:40 pm

This could possibly be your ISP, but it's nothing to worry about. Quite often ISPs will cache a lot of web pages and serve them from their local servers to save on bandwidth costs. These caches are usually updated within 72 hours, but some ISPs stretch that sometimes.

If you're running windows try: ctrl + F5
Mac/Apple: Apple + R or command + R
Linux: F5

This will often-times force your provider to refresh its cache.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend waiting a few days and if it continues doing it let me know.

By the way... we were running the old blue website for a bit and the only way that you could see that would be if your browser was trying to pick up the old IP.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Freon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:38 am

try clearing your cache.
Freon
Verified Member

Postby Drew7uk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:25 am

Nimrod wrote:This could possibly be your ISP, but it's nothing to worry about. Quite often ISPs will cache a lot of web pages and serve them from their local servers to save on bandwidth costs. These caches are usually updated within 72 hours, but some ISPs stretch that sometimes.

If you're running windows try: ctrl + F5
Mac/Apple: Apple + R or command + R
Linux: F5

This will often-times force your provider to refresh its cache.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend waiting a few days and if it continues doing it let me know.

By the way... we were running the old blue website for a bit and the only way that you could see that would be if your browser was trying to pick up the old IP.

Also had this same issue, and have cleared my cache on multiple browsers to test. It always appear when just visiting 'middle-earth.us' without the 'http://www.'

Should this just be a case of redirecting FYI, 'middle-earth.us' entries to the current URL?
Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Mine is the same as Drew; when I use www.middle-earth.us I get taken to the new page, when I just put in middle-earth.us (I usually don't type a www. when I'm entering addresses) I go to the old front page.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Nimrod » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:21 pm

I'll have Traithe check our A record again. In the mean time here's a cheesebun for you to enjoy.

Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Is anyone still having any troubles with this?
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Meneldor » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:48 pm

No, but my eagle eyes spot a typo in your disclaimer above.

When I type in middle-earth.us my browser, Chrome, automatically fills in the www.
Meneldor
Raptor Overlord

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:34 am

It still happens for me Nimrod. I use Firefox, which doesn't automatically put in a www. for an address typed without it.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Meneldor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:39 am

Tested mine using Firefox and yes it did not and went to the old link.
Meneldor
Raptor Overlord

Postby Drew7uk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:50 am

Mine too!
Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:17 am

Same here.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Emilio » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:12 pm

You need to delete your browsers' memory cache.
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Emilio wrote:You need to delete your browsers' memory cache.

Have done multiple times with the same result.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Burke » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:35 pm

It's doing the same thing for me (directing to the old site if I don't use www. in front), and I had never visited the old site in this browser on this machine. Chrome 31.0.1650.63 on MacOS 10.8.5.
Burke
Verified Member

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:58 am

*Grumble* It's very hard to fix something when you can't replicate the problem. :/

When you guys say 'the old site', are you referring to the old blue one that was used in days of old like this one: https://web.archive.org/web/20070314214 ... -earth.us/

or this one:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130801010 ... -earth.us/

??
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:06 am

Holy Crap! I got the old blue site this time by typing in middle-earth.us!!!

You guys aren't nuts! *whew* That's a relief.

Our DNS records are definitely wonky. I'll ask Traithe if he can't sort these out right away.

Thank you for your patience.

[eta]
Okay... I've sent the information off and hopefully it'll be resolved in a few days. Until then please use the www.middle-earth.us address with the WWW. Thanks!
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:22 pm

When are we going to address the fact that the cheesebuns smiley looks like a turd?

JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Emilio » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:55 pm

You can always change it with a paint program.
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Hawkwind wrote:When are we going to address the fact that the cheesebuns smiley looks like a turd?

Hawkwind's stock plummets to record lows! What a pity. :shock:
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:14 pm

So we've finally got round to making a decision on this www or no www issue when visiting our website. We're going to dedicate the domain middle-earth.us to the game ports (you connect to middle-earth.us via a port). The www.middle-earth.us domain will be used for all things web.

Currently we have the home page re-directed to the www homepage, so anyone visiting for the first time will see the correct page, but if you're trying to visit the forums via middle-earth.us/forums, you're going to get an error.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby sod » Tue May 27, 2014 12:55 pm

There's a spelling mistake in the character generator: 'Strength is extremely unimporant'.
sod
Forum Hobbit

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login