It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:31 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

SoI 2014 Player Overview

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

SoI 2014 Player Overview

Postby Drew7uk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:00 pm

I figured it might be useful to take stock of the people we have lurking around before Alpha - new and old - whether they'll play or not! I'm sure, like me, others are recognizing some familiar faces but can't quite place them in the former iterations of the game (or indeed other games).

Given the switch to the new system, original join dates (I think) have also been removed, so maybe we can collate those, too. I'll kick us off:

Username: drew7uk
Started SoI: May 2004
Other player influences: Anthalas, Enigma, Brian, Kithrater, Kestrel, Daelar, Sosaria
Background: Primarily a Mordor player with a few characters here and there in Gondor (Geliron being the most "recent"). In Mordor I had a couple of Bakaath Morgul characters in Minas Morgul, and a Goblin here and there too. After that rolled a Black Numenorean (Narodar) which I played for a number of years up until the fall of Tur Edendor.
Other MUDs played (past or present): Armageddon, ARPI, PRPI
Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Re: SoI 2014 Player Overview

Postby Olthadir » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Username: Olthadir
Started SoI: 2009?
Other player influences: By character name: Agase, Brogol, 'Bo', Leobin... can't remember their account names.
Background: Only played one character: Melchin, who inhabited Minas Tirith and worked in the tavern. He was part of the group who ventured to Harad as an ambassadorial.
Prefer the more 'rural' play style than the military/combat roles.
Other MUDs played (past or present): Achaea, many, many years ago.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Postby Kayube » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Username: Kayube
Started SOI: I don't even remember. I think it was around 2009...
Other player influences: Most of the same people Olthadir mentioned are names I remember.
Background:Had a bunch of characters: Bliddyn (I think that's how his name was spelled), Camma, Krukhmur, and "Mirthy" were among the characters I remember the best.
Other MUDs played: Nowadays I mostly hang around on Multiverse Crisis MUSH.
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Postby Freon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Username: Freon

Started SOI: 2003

Other player influences: Pslim, Kestrel, older players who no longer play. Played with Drew7uk when he was a noob. :lol: I would say that the #1 person who got me out from being a noob player and into improving my roleplay would have to be pof Sebetharen and pof Elfaron. I enjoyed Myrrkridia's highly fatal RPTs.

Background: Military characters, Serpent's cult, Black Numenoreans. Though I tried to diversify, what kept me interested in the game was exploration, though I hate rprog puzzles that were unnecessarily obfuscated so I didn't bother twinking to find them. I was more into reading room descriptions and finding quaint, hidden places more than roleplaying with other characters, which I found tiring after a time.

I got into this routine with almost every character from when they were new to when they died:

twink skills and socialize > accumulate equipment and wealth > explore the game doing increasingly dangerous things until my character died.

Other MUDs played: Forbidden Lands Diku (hack and slash, don't kill me, I was a kid and bored.) I no longer play but would like to come into the game just to explore it in my own time.
Last edited by Freon on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freon
Verified Member

Postby Morninglight » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:31 am

Username: Morninglight
Started SoI: Mid-2000s
Other player influences: Whitt47, Sunshine, Others I've forgotten
Background: Mostly Gondorian, but played Sahita Threefingers, the only 'evil' Mordorian character I ever had. Totally miss Fahad Jafari.
Other MUDs played (past or present): NannyMUD, Armageddon, Harshlands, Achaea
Morninglight

Postby bjg2k1us » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:55 am

Username: See above

Started SOI: 2006

Player Influences: Stoneturtle, Beyondtheveil, Frostrylan, Kopriana, many more...

Background: The military. Battalions/Vanguard 2.0, all through the eyes of Halred, Gondor's luckiest soldier.

Other MUDS played: None in a long time. Tried Arm, didn't dig it. Used to play and admin on Return of the Shadow, a H/S Tolkien 4th age MUD.
bjg2k1us
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Emilio » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:51 am

Username: Emilio

Started SOI: I joined right from the beginning when Traithe started coding SoI.

Player Influences and background: I played a lot of characters whose names I forgot, but, I remember a few. Zhod(I think), a hobbit who joined the Pel-Tirith. Turis, a woman from a human tribe northeast of Osgiliath. When the group disbanded, she went to join another tribe of savages at the White mountains. Skjorvi, a survivor from that last tribe who, with her son, joined a group of Gondorian knights and moved on to a Rohirrim village up north. Then retired her to join SoI2 and help develop a group of fanatic easterners. I don't remember his name.

I remember that Deacon(then an admin) threatened to kill Skjorvi with hundreds of arrows. I always wonder why he hated so much tribal characters.

Other MUDS played: Harshlands(mostly Kath tribesfolk) and Forever's End(Fernan). Deacon used to be a priest there and I used to go to church to listen to his sermons.
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby Deacon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Don't recall threatening to kill anyone. I usually just killed them.

And as far as being a priest and preaching sermons... That must be someone else.
The lights are on, but nobody's home... :-(
Deacon
Verified Member

Postby Emilio » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:15 pm

It had been a very long time and my memories are quite foggy. Perhaps, you were threatening to kill tribal characters in general and I still had Skjorvi so I took it like a personal threat to my character as I was the last one.
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby Yoink » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Username: Yoink86
Started SoI: Not quite sure- perhaps 2010 or 2011?
Other player influences: Hard to remember everyone, and there are a lot of characters whose players I never knew.
Patty, Irk, Matt44, Malabriand, Benjaboonchar, Feawen, Faroukel, Oblivion and many others who I doubtless forgot to list. :oops:
Background: Almost all short-lived, wild, dirty and incredibly fun blackbloods. And one human slave who refused to die...
Other MUDs played (past or present): ARPI, (Briefly) PRPI, a bunch of those Iron Realms things, and if we really want to dig back through history my first-ever MUD was a hack-'n'-slash called Vampire Wars.
Haven't really found any that have plugged the SoI-shaped void more than briefly, though.
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Arconus » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:01 pm

I am the Arconus, bow before me. That is all
Arconus
Verified Member

Postby Drew7uk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Arconus wrote:I am the Arconus, bow before me. That is all

I hope your pottery quote is still IG :(
Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Postby whitt37 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Username: whitt37
Started SoI: Early 2008, Maybe late 2007
Other player influences: Oouezo, Snaah, Sharline, Melchin, Agase, Luciun, a particularly large snake in Fahad Jafari - Always impressed by the players who stuck by their characters longterm and really developed into the fabric of the story and the admins who made it all possible.
Background: Had the real pleasure of "having to" play a snaga as a first character. Was hooked immediately on life among the sociopaths and the real challenge of trying to forge a community in a group of players and characters for whom death was expected. Earned enough RPP to play a Stoor Hobbit just before it went from 3 to 6. Heh. Never expected Old Brogol Lumpfoot to survive half as long as he did, but I am eternally grateful that he did. Went back to playing a Snaga after that (2 RL years without ever typing "hit" is soooo hard). Enjoyed the time back as a snaga until Mordor closed up. Never really got far enough along with the next concept, but it would have probably not ended well.
whitt37
Verified Member

Postby Arconus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:05 am

drew7uk wrote:
Arconus wrote:I am the Arconus, bow before me. That is all

I hope your pottery quote is still IG :(

I could use a little vintage SoI in the new game even if it isn't related to my epic mediocrity.
Arconus
Verified Member

Postby Nimrod » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Deacon wrote:And as far as being a priest and preaching sermons... That must be someone else.

Sounds like Rivean to me.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:18 pm

whitt37 wrote: a particularly large snake in Fahad Jafari

Ssssssss.... If I remember rightly that snake was about to swallow that poor hobbit before Agase showed up with a broom or something.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Octavius » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Username: Octavius
Started SoI: 2005
Background: I am a Staff Builder here, with expensive experience creating variabilized crafts, progs, mob AI, and such. I will be making your lives more interesting throughout Alpha.
Other MUDs played (past or present): I was the Head Crafter on Atonement RPI for most of Alpha and Beta (through the moon colony) and engineered all their variable crafts with Kithrater. Previous experience adminning on other games with other pseudonyms.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Telamon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:00 am

Username: Telamon
Started SoI: 2003?
Background: Played both sides many times, I've gone through a LOT of PC's.

Other MUDs played (past or present): Harshlands and Armageddon
Telamon

Postby Deacon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:35 am

Username: Deacon
Started SOI: As a player - June 2004. As an admin - May 2007
Other Player/Admin Influences: Cormac, Kite, Rhubarb, Ashtia, Magenta and many others.
Background: My characters were Gondorian military for the most part. My two longest lived characters were Taramir Duroth and Callum Makay. As admin I have served as military RPA, Gondorian military lead, Pellenor-Anorien lead, Gondor lead, Witchfinder General, and Head Curmudgeon.
Other MUDs played: Played Atonement at the very of its run.
The lights are on, but nobody's home... :-(
Deacon
Verified Member

Postby teepu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:22 am

Username: teepu
Started SOI: Somewhere in September '09/10?
Player Influencers: Cassael - that char got me hooked on day one, Sharline, Jarragh, Varrish, Hoar.
BG: I just played one character, the typical hunter/meddling-in-everything joe, the twinkering :oops: , thieving newb that I was. Stuck with the char and stretched him over till SOI went AWOL.

Other MU*: Tried a few since SOI closed, but they din't click as SOI did.
teepu
Guide

Postby Icristhus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Username: Icristhus
Started SOI: 2003
Player Influencers: Too many to list them all, but they know who they are.
BG: Lots of PCs in many of the spheres that existed over the years. Nobody particularly notable, except to those who knew me.

Other MU*: Harshlands, Arm, and a few others. Countless H&S games and a few dozen others. Tried Atonement/Parallel, but the 'sci-fi' was too lacking in 'sci' for me to get into.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Feawen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Username: Feawen
Started SoI: January 6, 2006
Other player influences: Icristhus, Tepes, Brian, Kestrel, Sosaria. Pof Hroar. Daerodon. Others I can't think of off the top of my head. There were a lot.
Background: Gondor, mostly. Though I am probably most renowned for playing the Ranger Greywing, who wasn't a native of Gondor but lived there. I tend to be good with things like Rangers and Elves.

Builder, crafter, have RPA'd on other games enough to know that I hate RPA'ing and am bad at it. Plot-runner for various MUSHes. I have a tendency to play characters who don't 'go with the flow' and usually will step out to do stupid things. I don't usually fit into IC organizations well, but as far as thematic support characters I'm decent.
Other MU*s: SOI, ARPI, PRPI, various MUSHes including Elendor. MUME.
Feawen
Forum Hobbit

Postby Roheline » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Username: Roheline
Started SoI: 2009 or 2010?
Other player influences: Many great players who helped me get through my newb phase. :)
Background: I played an illiterate cook/tavern wench ( I doubt many remember her) who worked at a couple different establishments in Minas Tirith. Unfortunately had to take a long absence due to schoolwork; I was so sad to find out that SOI had closed and I'm thrilled that it's coming back! I'm interested in exploring more of a soldier type character, since I wasn't involved with combat at all in my previous role.
Other MU*s: Various MUSHes, roleplay intensives in non-Tolkien genres.
Roheline
Verified Member

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Username: Eugene
Started SoI:: Spring 2005
Player influences: Andy, Brian, whoever the hell played Sydenham, Frosty, Alaws, Stoneturtle (even though they hated my guts and went to incredible lengths to convey such), Magenta, Meladriel, Kite, Rhubrab, Renal, That guy whose name I can't remember that was my crime boss in Minas Tirith that I screwed over because I was a total idiot, whoever the hell played Luciun, the dude that played that chick with with "butterscotch" in their description, Rivean (who is actually a damn good writer), and whoever the hell played Agase (seriously, whoever played Agase deserves an award). This list is incomplete.
Background: You all know who I am, I shouldn't have to fill this in.
Other MUDs Played: I played Shattered Kingdoms and Aardwolf before coming to SoI. Blame them.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Eugene wrote:That guy whose name I can't remember that was my crime boss in Minas Tirith that I screwed over because I was a total idiot

QFT. Yvitori. :lol:
Nimrod
Game Lead

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login