SoI 2014 Player Overview

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Re: SoI 2014 Player Overview

Post by Yoink » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Eugene wrote:Username: Eugene
Background: You all know who I am, I shouldn't have to fill this in.
:cry: I feel like I'm being excluded from the Cool People club...
Last edited by Yoink on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.

Feawen
Forum Hobbit

Post by Feawen » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:56 am

Nah, that's just the Eugene club. :P

Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Post by Tepes » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:31 am

Username: Tepes

Started SoI: 2002

Other player influences: So many. So so many. Admins and players alike. Most of everyone I played with, as an ally or enemy, had influence on me.

Background: Been around for forever and a day. Played multiple spheres through the entirety of SoI. In fact, every one of them I tried, at least once.

Other MUDs played (past or present)
: Atonement, Parallel, Harshlands, Arm.

Meladriel
Verified Member

Post by Meladriel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:57 pm

Username: Meladriel

Started SoI: the fall before the Fall (the real life autumn before the Fall of Osgiliath)

Other player influences: Oh geez. I don't know any player names so i'll rattle off characters. Well....all of her husbands. Agase, Luciun, Reina. Sharline was cool.

Background: I actually had two characters before Camyra. The first one I retired once I got a hang of the game, the second found the bottomless pit in the Osgiliath graveyard. But I've played Camyra for a thousand years.

Other MUDs played (past or present): My first mud was a random hack-n-slash fantasy (can't for the life of me remember). I also got into MUME a really long time ago. Right now, my only really serious MUD is Serenity.

Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Post by Eugene » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:02 am

Yoink wrote:
Eugene wrote:Username: Eugene
Background: You all know who I am, I shouldn't have to fill this in.
:cry: I feel like I'm being excluded from the Cool People club...
Trust me, I am not in a club that you want to be in.

Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Post by Octavius » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:13 am

Meladriel wrote:The first one I retired once I got a hang of the game, the second found the bottomless pit in the Osgiliath graveyard.
Ahhh yes. One of the best spots to show that not all easter eggs are filled with candy. :)

Eugene wrote: Trust me, I am not in a club that you want to be in.
Awww.... sure you are. *hugs*

Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Post by Eugene » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:01 pm

I lost a character to that pit in the tombs, as well. When I reached the bottom, I laughed pretty hard at how many corpses and how much loot was sitting in that pool.

Evilone
Verified Member

Post by Evilone » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Username: Evilone

Started SOI: 2002? One of the beta testers.

Other player influences: Solace, Caladan, Whitescar, Jessara, Fox.

Background:

Played mostly in the old days. Back before there was ever a need for version 2 and 3 BS. Thats where I stepped back and was on a big break mostly. Notable characters - Amelander "Copper Serpeants Merc Company Leader"/Thieves Fellowship/Cult of Serpents), Corporal Enthalis "Dunedain Ranger", Anthalion Dunedain Soldier.

Other MUDs played: Forever's End Mud (Calistyrr Tol "Legion Centurion", Sergeant Randall "Mounted Guard". Harshlands (Quintin/Celocas/Shadowblade "LK Leader/Navehan Priest/Chelmarch Knight". Armageddon (Still playing!).
Death is only the beginning.

Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Post by Drew7uk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:43 am

Evilone wrote:Username: Evilone

Started SOI: 2002? One of the beta testers.

Other player influences: Solace, Caladan, Whitescar, Jessara, Fox.

Background:

Played mostly in the old days. Back before there was ever a need for version 2 and 3 BS. Thats where I stepped back and was on a big break mostly. Notable characters - Amelander "Copper Serpeants Merc Company Leader"/Thieves Fellowship/Cult of Serpents), Corporal Enthalis "Dunedain Ranger", Anthalion Dunedain Soldier.

Other MUDs played: Forever's End Mud (Calistyrr Tol "Legion Centurion", Sergeant Randall "Mounted Guard". Harshlands (Quintin/Celocas/Shadowblade "LK Leader/Navehan Priest/Chelmarch Knight". Armageddon (Still playing!).
Oh snap! Good to see you - remember Enthalis and Anthalion well :)

Rivean
Honored Elf

Post by Rivean » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:14 am

Nimrod wrote:
Deacon wrote:And as far as being a priest and preaching sermons... That must be someone else.
Sounds like Rivean to me.
You rang?

Username: Rivean

Other player influences: The list of players I admire and have enjoyed playing with is significantly longer, but there was honestly only one person that had a significant influence on my roleplay - Pslim. Otherwise, Faroukel, Janarc, Brian, and to a lesser extent, Kestrel and Miridus, all had fairly important roles in the development of my first and most impactful SOI PC.

Started Playing: Sometime between 2005 and 2007, don't remember exactly.

Background: Minas Tirith, Criminals, Rogues, Powermongers, Merchant Envoys. [PCs: Rivaen (blame Earendur), Camron (cool, but didn't last), and Meldir/The Limper/Various Aliases/Masked rogue with the dragon crest armor]

White Mountains/Sawdust's Nebavla Vok tribe, hunter, tribesman, elder: I believe I met Emilio's Turis there. [PC: Hruufal].

Koalafarm, alpha-warriors, northmen, Dunadain, polymath: This is where I played my last PC, who was the one primarily responsible for the failed rescue attempt of the HC attack-bots, and consequently, the massacre of 16th Silume, of which, if I'm not mistaken, my PC was the last victim. [PCs: Aerdwynn, Davaran Lebanin Hurin (Aran)]

PS. I'm very sorry about the shitstorm that followed that rather significant event.

It's been an interesting ride.

Other Muds: Evarayn (long since shut down), New Worlds, Unwritten Legends, some hns that I don't remember, Akanbar (I met Lasair there), Atonement - for like a half hour.

Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Post by Emilio » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Yes, we did.

Manarath
Unverified User

Post by Manarath » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Username: Manarath

Other player influences
Its been quite a while, and my memory of names is fuzzy. Though Ol Murd and one particularly surly Olog are still fresh in my mind.

Started Playing:
Sometime during Moria's Sphere and again once things were moved down south.

Background I had a slew of snaga I made, as the orc sphere has always been my comfort zone. Sadly most did not last long enough for me to remember their names. Though I remember great times in the spider clan. The most fresh character I have in my mind would be good old Tolo.

I missed much, not been active since before Kite parted ways, but I have been keeping tabs. I held back on the most recent sphere as my comfort zone is more with the baddies then the free folk of the realms. Can't help it, snaga was my first race I tried, and I fell in love with the challenge of staying alive as one. Humans and the like felt easy by comparison, and I could never immerse into the atmosphere of it all nearly as good.

Burke
Verified Member

Post by Burke » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:53 pm

In many ways, I don't want to own up to my previous playing. I made a lot of embarrassing, stupid, and angst-ridden choices with my one long-term character on SoI, choices that are anathema to the way I play today. Moreover, I retired that character to take up a staff position from which I spectacularly flounced after a few weeks for reasons that were about 10% game, 10% life stress, and 80% me having screwed-up ideas about what happens on a game that left me completely unable to deal with staffing. If I learned nothing else from SoI, I learned that I never should staff on any MU*, anywhere, ever, and I have stuck by that lesson.

All that said, since I'm probably pretty identifiable anyway, here I am.

Username: probably jackal, maybe jackal59 if I was using what became my Google username at that point.

Started SoI: late 2003 or 2004.

Background: My one character that stuck was Bonaltham in Osgiliath--a character who was far better than my playing of him.

Other player influences: Qualen's player, several of the Malred players, whoever played the Northern woman who nearly came to blows with Bon in the Lantern over another PC's death. Oh, and the ranger in the white garb (?) who produced the heaviest and most consistent if utterly unidentifiable text accent I have ever seen on any game, anywhere. (Does anyone remember that PC's name? Syl?)

Other games played: My only characrers that have been at all long term were on Elendor (primarily as a Sinda or Silvan elf in Imladris - Bellaegis and Candamon were the two) and Windy City MUX (as a mortal cop in an Anita Blake game who was basically a de-angsted Bon with less innocence but the same moral center). About every year or so I play on HellMOO for a few weeks but that's not really as character, since no one bothers with characters on a game that is essentially just every post-apocalyptic cliché put in a blender.

Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Post by Tepes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 am

Syl/Sylhoul.

Brian
Honored Elf

Post by Brian » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

Burke wrote:In many ways, I don't want to own up to my previous playing. I made a lot of embarrassing, stupid, and angst-ridden choices with my one long-term character on SoI, choices that are anathema to the way I play today. Moreover, I retired that character to take up a staff position from which I spectacularly flounced after a few weeks for reasons that were about 10% game, 10% life stress, and 80% me having screwed-up ideas about what happens on a game that left me completely unable to deal with staffing. If I learned nothing else from SoI, I learned that I never should staff on any MU*, anywhere, ever, and I have stuck by that lesson.
Thank you for re-affirming why I've never applied for staff!

Burke
Verified Member

Post by Burke » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Tepes wrote:Syl/Sylhoul.
Yeah! It really was an amazing accent.

Lungorthin
Forum Hobbit

Post by Lungorthin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Manarath wrote:Username: Manarath

Other player influences
Its been quite a while, and my memory of names is fuzzy. Though Ol Murd and one particularly surly Olog are still fresh in my mind.

Started Playing:
Sometime during Moria's Sphere and again once things were moved down south.

Background I had a slew of snaga I made, as the orc sphere has always been my comfort zone. Sadly most did not last long enough for me to remember their names. Though I remember great times in the spider clan. The most fresh character I have in my mind would be good old Tolo.

I missed much, not been active since before Kite parted ways, but I have been keeping tabs. I held back on the most recent sphere as my comfort zone is more with the baddies then the free folk of the realms. Can't help it, snaga was my first race I tried, and I fell in love with the challenge of staying alive as one. Humans and the like felt easy by comparison, and I could never immerse into the atmosphere of it all nearly as good.
I used to have a log of Tolo, Murd, and one other goblin (might have started with a Q) attacking an orc when Ulroo walked in, knocked Murd out with a single blow, one of the other goblins ran away but Tolo stood there like a champ to take his beating...but we had to stop Murd from bleeding to death so I don't think it happened.

Manarath
Unverified User

Post by Manarath » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 pm

I used to have a log of Tolo, Murd, and one other goblin (might have started with a Q) attacking an orc when Ulroo walked in, knocked Murd out with a single blow, one of the other goblins ran away but Tolo stood there like a champ to take his beating...but we had to stop Murd from bleeding to death so I don't think it happened.

If I remember correctly, Ulroo gave him a few good love taps after we fixed up Murd. Goooood times. That little event led to one of ol Tolo's most memorable sayings. Can't for the life of me remember who the other goblins name was, but I do remember him too.

Glad to see someone remembers that far back, I would have loved to read that log over for nostalgia. Yeah, I had a great time with that particular orc sphere for the characters, though I was more fond of moria for the setting and layout.

Matt
Ent Sapling

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:07 pm

What's great is a lot of the players coming back around are really awesome orc players. You pink skins are in for some trouble.

I'm Matt44, been around since the beginning of 2005 and have also played Atonement since day 1 ALPHA. I'm really excited about this game coming back with a good staff and awesome code base!

Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Post by Eugene » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:46 pm

Burke wrote:In many ways, I don't want to own up to my previous playing. I made a lot of embarrassing, stupid, and angst-ridden choices with my one long-term character on SoI, choices that are anathema to the way I play today.
Heh.
Brian wrote:
Burke wrote:Moreover, I retired that character to take up a staff position from which I spectacularly flounced after a few weeks for reasons that were about 10% game, 10% life stress, and 80% me having screwed-up ideas about what happens on a game that left me completely unable to deal with staffing. If I learned nothing else from SoI, I learned that I never should staff on any MU*, anywhere, ever, and I have stuck by that lesson.
Thank you for re-affirming why I've never applied for staff!
The biggest headache is managing subordinates and a playerbase. Being an underling is far preferable.

Llyra
Verified Member

Post by Llyra » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:05 am

Username: Llyra

Started SOI: 2002-3? Towards the very start before Miridus was admin and before Morgul's closing.

Other Player Influences: Roughly in order: Fox, Miridus, Andy, Stoneturtle, Rivean, Brian, Kestrel, and several admins both past and present - if you don't know who you are, then I haven't given you enough love.

Background:This was my first RPI which I began when researching other muds as a head administrator on a hack and slash game. I was clueless. My first character was set up to act as a healer/herbalist but it was before the herb code was working. Fox took pity on me and let my character become more or less a Malred spy for Mavery. An admin - Zapata maybe? made my first character mute after I didn't RP out her death/attack due to sheer newbieness. She became a gravedigger in Osgiliath. Good times. I retired her and made a new one, also in Osgiliath, a jeweler who died during the fall thanks to inactivity. I took a lengthy hiatus and returned a year or two later with Ralyne. After that came Dambeth. Enough said. Those who know me under other names know who I am. Love me or hate me, I make no excuses.

Other Games: Lots. Lots and lots. Including HLs, Arm, Atonement very very VERY briefly, EOS and some hack and slashes.

I had my own reasons for my eventual departure, but SOI is the one mud I have always and hopefully will always consider home, no matter how lengthy hiatuses in between might be.

whitt37
Verified Member

Post by whitt37 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:55 am

Llyra wrote:Username: Llyra
Wooot! Welcome Back!

EltanimRas
Master Ent

Post by EltanimRas » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:36 am

Started SoI: I rolled a couple of PCs back in old Osgiliath days, but none of them stuck -- I recall losing one looking for a shoe store in the Drúadan. I came back to lose three more, two of whom lasted long enough to develop at least some personality, from 2009-2011.

Background: Angost, MT South, Caolafon. Both non-combat, both human. Neither what I would call evil, despite rumors (and possibly some evidence) to the contrary.

Player influences: At least a few who don't know who they are, I'm sure.

Other MUDs played (past or present): I've peeked into several, the usual RPIs included, but never had a serious character anywhere but SoI. I wrote one for Atonement once, but it promptly closed. Such is life.

Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Post by Zargen » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey guys. Its me. Back at where it all began.

Username: Zargen/Konin

Started: Late 2002 early 2003

Background: Every. Single. Sphere. In one form or another. Mostly from the evil side of things. Off the top of my head who I played? The infamous Mr.Endrek Godo of Tur Edendor fame. And the surly Marvin Adrekan of the Heren Carnetalion. Those where my two favorites. And then theres dozens more characters I could name and nobody would care about.

Influences: Ehh.

Other Muds: If its RPI I was there.

MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Post by MrDvAnt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Username: MrDvAnt (prounced Mr. Deviant)

Started SoI: Can't remember. Years ago.

Player influences: J. R. R. Tolkien

Background: Nobody most of you would know. I generally stuck to the background, and can't remember most of my character names. Bragar, in Tur Edendor was one. I played the first blacksmith in whatever that new Northern town was called too. Also, the first human to sneak into Moria..before it was supposed to be open.(oops, like I've said elsewhere, I'm an exploration addict)

Other MUDs Played: All of them. Necropalis played/adminned in 1997. Dragon's Gate and Gemstone on AOL when it was the only internet. Armageddon, SOI player/briefly RPA, ARPI, Tales of the Lance, player/admin, Thieves' World, Towers of Jadri, Faerun, Threshold, TorilMud, Rauvyon player/admin.