Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: SoI 2014 Player Overview

Postby tehkory » Sat May 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Holmes wrote:
pompadourslim wrote:Username: pompadourslim

Hey. Hey you.

You're wonderful.

Edit:

Actually, the last six people to post in here are like a cacophony of awesome. Awesome overload.

Am I too late D=?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Sun May 18, 2014 12:26 am

Yep.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Mithrandur » Sun May 18, 2014 2:24 am

Username: Mithrandur
Started SoI: Back in the Osgiliath Days
Other player influences: Way way -way- too many to list. Played for a long time and had so many people influence me over the years.

Background: Gondor (Osgiliath and Minas Tirith) and a little bit of Angost.

The first real character I had to make an impact in the game wasn't really all that important. He made armor and ran the Minas Tirith council for a time but I forget his name. Nistro-something-or-other. You probably never heard of him. Either way, he was a right bastard and everyone hated him. Don't ask me how he went for about 18 in game years before he eventually vanished.

My second character to last anything more than a week didn't last quite as long, but still fairly respectable. Duranol was the only RPP character I made though almost nobody ever realized he was a Gondorian Dunadan. Died along with a goodly number of HC characters in a MT prison rescue gone horribly wrong. Kind of a bitter end for him but it was one hell of a way to go.

Other MUDs played (past or present): ARPI, PRPI
Mithrandur
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Sun May 18, 2014 6:24 am

Nistrodin, stoic old Nistrodin.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Sun May 18, 2014 4:16 pm

pompadourslim wrote:My longest-lived characters were Cefiel, Qualen, and Burke, all Gondorians. Some others nobody remembers were Gabian, the ranger, and Sarojin, servant of Jysain.

I have a log snippet or two about Sarojin!

Tomorrow, maybe. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby pompadourslim » Tue May 20, 2014 2:41 pm

EltanimRas wrote:I have a log snippet or two about Sarojin!

Tomorrow, maybe. ;)

Dude. That is both intriguing and frightening! I would hate to have my memory of him tarnished by evidence of mediocre execution. ;) On the other hand, NOSTALGIA!
pompadourslim
Verified Member

Postby Songweaver » Wed May 21, 2014 2:34 am

Username: Songweaver/Jaunt

Started SoI: 2008?

Other player influences: I never really thought of it this way, but there have certainly been a great number of people that I've enjoyed roleplaying with and RPAing for over the years. To list them all seems superfluous after each of them's been listed numerous times already.

Background: I played a few characters on SOI before joining the RPA Staff and running Northlands before I left to create Atonement. Of those small number of characters, I most enjoyed playing Klael (a scout/bard/Tur Edendor infiltrator in the Battalions), Yuknon (my crazed, orc shaman in Moria that worshipped spiders) and Garren Olamer (my tragic, sometimes heroic, most of the time murderous Knight in Heren Carnatalion). I also enjoyed developing a lot of animated NPCs, like Wulfhere and other Angost NPCs, as well as Burzumlub in Moria. Outside of SOI, I always really enjoyed animating Vladimir and "Betty" on Atonement.

Other MUDs: I'd played so many prior to coming to SOI. Since SOI, I've only "played" Atonement. And by that, I mean that I ran Atonement ALPHA and the final phase of its story that took place on Mars.

Really high hopes for this project. I've been watching it for a long time, and waiting/hoping that another worthwhile RPI would come along and let me just be a player again.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby MackDazzler » Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 am

Username: MackDazzler
Started SoI: 2002 for Traithe's closed beta
Other player influences: Drew7UK, Enigma, Brian, Kithrater, Japheth, Kestrel, Sosaria
Background: Played across most spheres, most notably:

- Razah - Gothraka half-orc - Known for his lonesome invasion of the Eastern Garrison way back when

- Strayl Adur - Pel-Ecthel Sergeant - I will always remember his epic amounts of hatred and respect for Kantor

- Imraehil Nimrulai - Pel-Dagor Sergeant - Castrated by Narodar and killed after capture

- Arhzan Tohr / Aranur Aranin / The Wolf - Black Numenorean who had roles in the Black Watch, Buroda Dawar, Earmhyde and Reflected Moon. He existed in most spheres until his betrayal and death in Minas Tirith, which was infamous for the beginning of 'Evil Gondor'

Other MUDS: Forever's End, Arm, ARPI, HL, PRPI
MackDazzler
Forum Hobbit

Postby caellyndria » Thu May 22, 2014 9:00 am

Oh, these are fun to read. Bandwagon, ahoy.

Username: caellyndria
Started SoI: 2006

Player Influences: Janarc and Mirudus were my very early on influences while I was still newb, and they were strong, awesome influences that stuck. Andwhatnot and I grew as newbs together, and I like to think we made each other awesome. Pslim and Kestrel made me aspire to be interesting and awesome even when I wasn't in direct interaction with his PC. The player of Nocht/Tigress brought me to the game and helped me a ton. Thorongil made me less battle retarded which I <3 him greatly for, even though I'm still mildly combat retarded. Daerodon and Brian totally made my elf experience. I got the pleasure of playing with and adoring a wide span of characters in multiple spheres with my few longterm PCs and I can't begin to name all the greats.

Background: I came from a pretty silly SERF fantasy MUD called Eternal Struggle with no permdeath. It had made the transition into a struggling RP mud with quite a few good or decent RPers, and I RP admin'd a time there before it closed. I didn't know the big leagues til I was brought to SoI and the RP and code fascinated me. I heard some people thought I was a ban dodger because I played well, but after a few admins snooped me and my constant command fumbling, I think they learned otherwise. It also used to drive them crazy I leave hints on to move my screen, so sorry in advance!

I played Lilianne the longest in the Gondor sphere, working at the Wizard and after opening the Gilded Lily with then husband Galvorn. Also opened the Theatre later (after trying it with her previous gypsy-esque lovah Leo previously in a different location) and ran events there. I had a brief slave character with Miratz in orcland named Sloane. I had an AD named Mirielle/Lark in northlands that died to a warg too soon (still mad at myself). Then I played Minuiel the Silvan elf prescient, later becoming Ainonwe's wife.

Other MUDs: ARPI: Nadine, Naturi, Josie PRPI:Lang Ryan One Arm stint: fancy clothes crafter/merchant Fadime

I look forward to playing with you lot again and hope everything on the game works out for the best. Also something I have always wanted to say since I feel like the player hated me after and possibly filed some complaint that was based on gossip since I had to hear something from Kite--

Dear PC Philip-- I didn't have you killed, Agase did. My PC just knew about it/heard about it after and was p. happy, haha.
caellyndria
Verified Member

Postby andwhatnot » Thu May 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Username: Andwhatnot
Started SOI: 2006

Player Influences: Probably everyone I've ever encountered, in some way or another. That said, there are a few people I'd like to credit (or blame) for showing me the ropes. Caellyndria and I did "grow up together" in MT, I like to think we're awesome too. Eventually I learned things like "hit" and "bind" from Irkallia and Thorongil, so I blame them in advance for any misfortune that should befall any future PC from knowing things like that. Kestrel and Blackcat probably top my list of players I still want to be more like. And finally I suppose some credit is due Pompadourslim for teaching me how to put my cup down -in- the table.

Background: I played Taigh, who lived in MT, got into shenanigans and possibly scandalized some admins inadvertently along the way. It was a good run.
andwhatnot

Postby Blackcat » Fri May 23, 2014 7:44 am

andwhatnot wrote:Caellyndria and I did "grow up together" in MT, I like to think we're awesome too.

Of course you and Caellyndria are both awesome too. Many fond memories of roleplaying with you in MT. The Otherside Alehouse was my favorite place to RP before we had to move to the Battered Shield. The MT second circle RP had a pithy, meatiness to it that appealed to some of us. I've always enjoyed things that are more rough about the edges RP wise. The fun is in the struggle. ;)

At times it was a challenge to maintain that atmosphere but I think we all managed it quite well. I tried to carry that atmosphere over when we moved down to the Battered Shield but never was quite able to recapture it fully.
I believe in self-rescuing princesses, geeky tech moms, finding the beauty in the struggle, eternal optimism, community gardens in the Downtown Eastside and traditional Panto with a cow.
Blackcat
Verified Member

Postby Blackcat » Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 am

caellyndria wrote:Dear PC Philip-- I didn't have you killed, Agase did. My PC just knew about it/heard about it after and was p. happy, haha.

So many things to say ... Since there's no longer any harm to be done in revealing this, Agase actually saved Philip's life once before his death, barely managing to stay the hand of a particular character who was dead set and ready to stick him with a dagger up at the second circle shelter. The related RP between the characters involved at the time literally had me on the edge of my seat.

There is an amusing footnote to all of this, pof Philip and pof Agase are now together in real life. Perhaps it was the angst that brought us together? ;)
I believe in self-rescuing princesses, geeky tech moms, finding the beauty in the struggle, eternal optimism, community gardens in the Downtown Eastside and traditional Panto with a cow.
Blackcat
Verified Member

Postby Tiamat » Fri May 23, 2014 10:30 am

Username: Tiamat

Started SoI: 2005 (yes, I was like 14 at the time)

Player Influences: I had quite a few, now that I think about it. To be quite honest, I've still been influenced by a lot of the players/admins that played Atonement when I was an admin - some of the RP I saw there was truly superb, and still makes me reflect on how to make a convincing character. I'm sure I'm giving a huge ego boost to some players that will come and play here, but in no particular order, from my days in SOI to ARPI: Kestrel, caellyndria, Earandur (man, where is this guy?), Jaunt/Songweaver, Krelm, Wolfsong, Feawen, Janarc, someguy, Narcoleptic Wombat, wilde, and many more that I just can't think up at the moment.

Background: I originally played SOI back in like 2005 when I was a youngster, and that was my best introduction to the MUD genre. I had played several games before on and off, like Carrion Fields, but never got into it. I rolled a goblin up and got snatched up by Gothakra, and that was history. However, I was way more ADHD than I am now, and suffered from a short attention span; I never made any very noteworthy PCs. ARPI was a bit better, and Club in ALPHA was probably my most well-known. I started admining in BETA and beyond, so I didn't play much of the actual game. Hume was my longest lasting in BETA. As an admin, I thoroughly enjoyed playing one-off NPCs, and Gaiman later in ARPI end-game, and killing people.

I hope SOI goes to great places, and it was my first serious MUD, so there's a lot of nostalgia in watching all these faces come back. Here's to RPing together again!
Last edited by Tiamat on Mon May 26, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Janarc » Fri May 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Username: Janarc

Started SoI 2005ish

Player Influences There are really too many to name, but the people that I remember from my earliest character are PompadourSlim, Kestrel, Thorongil, and Mirudus. These guys TAUGHT me to roleplay. Caellyndria, Nocht, Blackcat, Andwhatnot, and many others came along later and kept me learning and growing as a player.

Previous Characters Marl, Laerhross, Rontag, Cort (oh short-lived flame), Eachan.. Tons of others.

Oh. And PSlim, I remember Gabian! He made me make a Ranger!
Janarc
Verified Member

Postby pompadourslim » Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Janarc wrote:Oh. And PSlim, I remember Gabian! He made me make a Ranger!

Man, I can't remember your PC's name, but that incident with the other guy demanding that he drink was fantastic.

Also, wtf, you didn't mention Vaedro.
pompadourslim
Verified Member

Postby Ceevu » Fri May 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Mithrandur wrote:The first real character I had to make an impact in the game wasn't really all that important. He made armor and ran the Minas Tirith council for a time but I forget his name. Nistro-something-or-other. You probably never heard of him.

Been a long time, but I have this tingly feeling telling me that Nistrodin worked for a dwarf named Glain, iirc.
Ceevu
Verified Member

Postby shezzarine » Sat May 24, 2014 2:05 am

Username: shezzarine
Started SoI: January 2010
Other player influences: Brian, Kestrel, Nyneve, Holmes, tehkory, Icarus, pofs Weir, Mayzie, Bo, Liliune (sp?), Mirianor, Redwald, & Dambeth
Background: I existed only at the end of things: first Halburg, then Amdir, then all of SoI, then Atonement, then Parallel. I am the herald of the end times. Hearken, for my snark heralds doom and despair and long hours of tavern idling
Other MUDs played (past or present): SoI, Atonement, Parallel
hrumph
shezzarine
Forum Hobbit

Postby Mithrandur » Sat May 24, 2014 4:04 am

Ceevu wrote:
Mithrandur wrote:The first real character I had to make an impact in the game wasn't really all that important. He made armor and ran the Minas Tirith council for a time but I forget his name. Nistro-something-or-other. You probably never heard of him.

Been a long time, but I have this tingly feeling telling me that Nistrodin worked for a dwarf named Glain, iirc.

Oh dear god. That's a name I had clear forgotten but I could never forget the dwarf himself in Osgiliath. Shame he vanished right when he had promised to teach him smithing after Nistrodin kept up his shop by sweeping and what not FOR A WHOLE IG YEAR.

Seriously though, if it weren't for Glain, Nistrodin probably never would have gotten into smithing, which in turn impacted the rest of his 4+ years of history.
Mithrandur
Honored Dwarf

Postby GreenRiver » Sun May 25, 2014 3:22 am

Really excited that this MUD is opening up again, especially with the new setting. I've always loved this area of Middle Earth, ever since I found an old battered copy of the Hobbit in the attic when I was 8 years old. It's just such a rich and atsmospheric area. Been playing The One Ring tabletop RPG recently (highly recommended even for the artwork alone) which has whetted my appetite for some Wilderland rp goodness.
(Was hoping to help out with building here, but other commitments got in the way - sorry admins :oops: )

Username: GreenRiver
Started SoI: Sometime in 2011
Other player influences: Most people I bumped into.
Background: So far I've only really scratched the surface of SoI, having had three very short-lived characters. The first I think died to a snake whilst rambling in the wilds outside Minas Trith. The second was a brief attempt at one of those Caolafan dudes with the heron cloaks, and the last was a reedy bat-faced blackblood called Krank. Looking forward to giving SoI a deeper go this time around.
Other MUDs played (past or present): Dabbled in a few. First MUD I ever tried was The Two Towers which was great until I tried rping and got some funny looks. Tried Elendor a couple of times, then a few minor characters on Armageddon.
GreenRiver
Verified Member

Postby EltanimRas » Tue May 27, 2014 6:06 am

Tomorrow, next week. Something like that. Anyway, about Sarojin.

A tall, stormy-eyed man murmurs in Westron, silent for several moments as he steps toward a plain pinewood table with chairs, though he replies quietly even as he begins to sink down into a chair, "Many of us feel the desire to create. We long for children; we long to build monuments to ourselves, or to the dead; we long to create works that will endure beyond our passing. The lore-house is my work, and yet you are the first person in nearly a decade that I have happened upon that is has intelligence and interest enough to aid in the endeavor."

A tall, stormy-eyed man sits at a plain pinewood table with chairs.

You sit at a plain pinewood table with chairs, her gaze lifting to a set of oaken bookshelves, lingering there as she follows a tall, stormy-eyed man over to the table.

You murmur in Westron, hesitating as her attention returns to a tall, stormy-eyed man, then picking out one phrase from his words, echoing it, "Nearly a decade, Mister Vrai?"

You thought: You have someone particular in mind, or ...?

A tall, stormy-eyed man murmurs in Westron, voiced quietly, mildly, in answer to a slight, dark-haired lass, "There are a few stories wrapped around that statement. Is there one in particular you're looking for, Mairi?"

You murmur in Westron, pausing again, seeming to consider as she watches a tall, stormy-eyed man, but in the end only shaking her head, "Maybe. Your guess is as good as mine."

You thought: Something ... lost, maybe. But I don't like to guess.

A tall, stormy-eyed man murmurs in Westron, lips parting for a moment before he answers slowly from his place opposite a slight, dark-haired lass at a plain pinewood table with chairs, "Sarojin was a former pillow-slave to a Numenorean in Nurn. I think he hailed from the Haven, originally, though what his specific origins were I do not know, and perhaps neither did he. He was gifted to me soon after I arrived in a Mordorian settlement named Tur Edendor. I freed him, and he chose to stay on in my service. His mind... was a delight, Mairi. He had much of Cailyn's gift of understanding people, though I think he succeeded even in times when Cailyn would not. He had a hunger for learning, as well, though it was a hesitant thing at first. And his mind was so sharp, his questions felt so right, even when he did not believe them so."

You murmur in Westron, sitting quite still, quietly offering a single word of inquiry, "And?"

You thought: They 'felt right'. ... But what became of him? You abandoned your post, Cailyn said, the city fell. Was he still there, then?

You thought: And 'Cailyn's gift of understanding people'. Strange.

A tall, stormy-eyed man murmurs in Westron, eyeing a slight, dark-haired lass musingly for a few silent moments before answering, "--and I sent him away, when his own safety became less sure. He went to Jah'Anshah, in the South, to look after someone for me. I have not seen him since."
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Rivean » Tue May 27, 2014 6:37 am

andwhatnot wrote:Background: I played Taigh, who lived in MT, got into shenanigans and possibly scandalized some admins inadvertently along the way. It was a good run.

I adored your PC. I absolutely adored your PC. I hope mine was able to keep you entertained at least.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Eru » Sat May 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Auroness wrote:Player influences: Early influences: Captain Sebetharen Brooks (always knew when to return from patrols so players could log off safely,)

Hmm it was years ago but wasn't Sebetharen the one to come back as a Wraith at some point in one of the many attacks on the garrison? Pretty sure we all thought he was a Ringwraith at the time.
Eru
Guide

Postby Taurgalas » Sat May 31, 2014 1:01 pm

He was, or something close to it! Good memory and good times. :)
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Mirudus » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Username: Mirudus

Started SoI: Uhh. Uhhhhhh. 2002? 2003? Whenever the whole "beta-type thing" was open.

Player Influences: Traithe, Fox, Myrrkridia, Zapata, and Cas all got me movin' in the right direction, because I was a righteous twinky little shit. Then I became staff (?!?!? somehow, don't ask me why Traithe vested faith in me), and pretty much every player influenced me in some way. Yes, even you. Played a LOT with some players post-staffing. Most honorable mentions: Janarc, Pompadourslim, Andwhatnot, Caellyndria, Prodigy, Thorongil, Kestrel, Brian, Celedhwen, Enigma, Drew7uk, the guy that played Fog, Tiago, and like so many others of the early days, I owe a lot of interaction to Falamir and Keita.

Previous Characters: Dasimyr the healer, Aelfric the sage, Teveras the healer, the infamous One-Hand Jack, Albero the totally-not-a-rogue disenfranchised small-business owner, Jazu and Aainna (although I didn't originally make them, you can thank Fox for that), Leodegrance "Leo" Oberon the artist/performer/totally-not-a-rogue, countless others lost to time and my poor memory.

Other MUDs: Name it. SoI, HL, Armageddon, FE2, PRPI, ARPI, Inquisition, I've probably played on it and possibly staffed on it.
Last edited by Mirudus on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirudus

Postby Icarus » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Yerp. Pretty much loved everyone in the batts back in the day.

I was Mearcean Hyrse Headghast Steadheard... Aaron (with the Axe), bunch of other folks. Quartermaster for the Batts for a bit. Almost got murdered by Eoran. Stuff. It's been too long.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login