Change font size

General Discussion

Alpha Play!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Alpha Play!

Postby toofast » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:32 pm

tehkory wrote:
toofastnig wrote:So alpha is confirmed to open in two weeks?

That's a joke from Atonement/Parallel; beta was to come out in "two weeks," and opened six-seven months later, so it's commonly joked that a release date will be in "two weeks."

I'm aware, I was going along with Tepes. :nom:
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Octavius wrote:
Brian wrote:I believe charcoal was most important historically as a fuel source for industrial processes. It was the primary fuel source for all iron smelting and forge working, so there would indeed be a large demand for it, though it can be made wherever there are trees.

Yes... I can imagine sending it as a bulk commodity up-river to the Iron Hills. No problem with that.

Charcoal for medicinal use is specifically "Active Charcoal" which requires high-firing in a kiln. This actually still has crafts and logic from SOI2 that are already in place, so will easily reappear in the Medicine craftset. It is a RP-only cure for most ingested poisons (which are also RP-only / staff plotline). So, an idea for how to make it have a coded use would be the next step for it.

PCs will use it for smelting and forging, but we won't have too much of that in Alpha - metalcraft will be more limited in that environment.

Making charcoal pencils for Artistry kits is totally doable. Good idea.

I'd like to know more about its use as fertilizer.

What other PC uses can we devise?

Activated charcoal is not so much any different than regular charcoal, it just has a larger surface area with all the holes and pores. It has no antibiotic nor clinical application beyond being extremely absorbent of both liquid and gas.

We used to chomp down on a little bit when we had digestive troubles, no idea if it was actually working or not but we did feel better after.

Another word that is thrown around often with charcoal is biochar, outside of large scale commercial manufactures biochar (Also called part-charred) is still recognizable as solid wood only as the other name implies it has been charred; completely on the outside, partly on the inside.

From our own experience it is not a fertilizer in of itself, that is not something you simply spread on your land as given it's absorbency it will soak up all those delicious soil nutrients. What I have been told is that it has the possibility of enriching poor soil and storing minerals and nutrients in the soil for later use when you bury it.

But yes, what Brian said, very much in agreement here.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Armarius » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Hello there fellows.

I ran across this site sometime back and kept it in the back of my head for a while. Today, upon perusing /v/ for completely dignified entertainment purposes (heh), it came to my notice there is a really fanfic-y game being developed, which I won't name since I don't want to give it undeserved attention. This reminded me of this place, and I decided to give it a go.

A bit of lurking around accuses that this is still in the pre-alpha stage of development. I hate to play the part of the hasty FNG, but any idea when this bird's taking off?
Armarius
Verified Member

Postby Octavius » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Welcome! I think you will be pleased when it launches... feel free to participate in the fanfic development until then. The crowdsourcing and player input is helping us a lot. That said, we're likely a few months out. Only believe estimates given by Icarus.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Tepes » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm

I have no idea if this has been answered before.

What does the setup of Utterby look like? (If I am even spelling that right.)

And the setup of the enemy? Like, landscape wise.
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby Octavius » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Tepes wrote:I have no idea if this has been answered before.

What does the setup of Utterby look like? (If I am even spelling that right.)

And the setup of the enemy? Like, landscape wise.

Utterby is a fortified lumber camp-like town in the eaves of Mirkwood. The Orcs warren is deep within the Mirkwood. There will be regions of woodland between them where they will both seek resources and find conflict. The map will be finite to get Alpha launched. Decisions on expanding the map will come later as Alpha results are shown.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Burke » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Octavius wrote:
Tepes wrote:What does the setup of Utterby look like? (If I am even spelling that right.)

Utterby is a fortified lumber camp-like town in the eaves of Mirkwood.

Sort of like Presbyterian Church, Washington (for anyone who has seen McCabe and Mrs. Miller)? But without the church, of course. :D
Burke
Verified Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login