It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:10 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Laketown Q&A - Original

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Laketown Q&A - Original

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Icarus wrote:#1. Can we get a hint of what is being considered for fulfillment Frigga's promise of allowing us to play similar stories/races/etc as our now forever gone previous PCs? Will it take the form of 'legacy PCs' as some have suggested, wherein we could play the descendant or relative of a former PC? Or is it more along the lines of, "If you previously had a Noldo Elf, we might let you play an Avari Elf." ?

While Frigga will have more input regarding this, I personally believe that they will not be related to, or descendant of, former PCs. Gondorians have little business in the Wilderland, after all. I think that it is more along the lines of the theme of those PCs. You had an amazing baker? We'd love for you to be one again. An amazing woodworker? Please, head the guild. A warrior of significant guile? Welcome to the militia! We are open to suggestions and possibilities.

#2. Will current RPP totals move over to the new game in any way?

It has not been discussed. My inclination is no, but I may be overruled by others! Certainly if that information is preserved, we may provide compensation for players.

#3. What is the story focus intended to be? If we are a mere 20 years from the Battle of Five Armies, what will come of PCs and the game itself, after that point in time when Dale is reborn, the Lonely Mountain re-peopled, and Smaug destroyed? More importantly, could we get a teaser as to what kinds of stories to expect in the years leading up to that point? Something more in-depth than, "The forces of the world are awakening for the end of the age." and perhaps less in-depth than, "We're going to make the tree at the center of town be an ancient, slumbering Ent." if possible.
A crusty, aging fisherman relates the latest news about the market pool: "Did you hear, boyo, about the latest shipment o'iron coming up from Rhun? Same boat that came up 'ere last spring after t'thaw, big one with that swarthy Easterling Captain. Free with his coin he was, so no minds t'his manners. But, y'notice that spring be passin' inta summer now? And nah boat be here? The Master is preparin' the militia for a little trek down the river, see if'n they got into some trouble. Last boat that came through mentioned getting a few goblin arrahs in their hull on the way up...

#4. Is 20 years before the events in The Hobbit a good starting point for a game in this region? Could we potentially get more mileage out of a game set immediately after those events, or perhaps 50 years before those events, in light of the immense event that will be guaranteed to take place in a few short years and require a complete upheaval and re-working of the game, itself? (Admittedly, I am and always will be a huge fan of the Fall of Osgiliath RPTs and everything leading up to and away from them, years ago. And I would love to see events with Smaug awakening at long last and setting fire to the town, then dying, then the battle, etc. But is that something staff definitely wants to move towards? Additionally, if such events are what Staff wants to move toward in the extreme long run, will we be sticking to the ideal of the
events as written are holy and PCs Cannot Change It?)

We are going to start out with an alpha about 25 years ahead, or some amount there. We want to test out a few concepts in a setting that we can wipe and start over if it doesn't work out, such as possibly having Wargs be a playable race. No idea if it'll work, or be a horrifying beastiality mudsex disaster of epic proportions, but only one way to find out! Our open goal will be 20 years ahead. I'm personally happy with that timeframe, with it giving us about 5 years IRL to get things sorted and happy, and then it allows us to follow the films, and go beyond them. As for the extreme long run: Post-smaug will be canonically much more open-ended, however the events of the hobbit will happen. We will be firmly stuck to the canon, as we are much about exploring the world Tolkien created as creating our own. Of course, issues of what is canon are interesting ones, and that is why I keep a binder of Martinez articles at my side as all times.

#5. How will the Supernatural and Supranatural be handled? Once upon a time it was argued on these forums (or at least their spiritual predecessor, the original SoI forums) that the world of Arda is an extremely "low-fantasy" setting, where magic and supernatural events are exceedingly rare and ultimately super mysterious and never to be understood. When I was a kid, I bought into this idea, but now that I'm older it seems that the books (all of them) are extremely fantastical. The chief argument for making everything Ultra Realistic and forbidding magical plots and stories was that we don't have a bunch of random wizards running around flying broomsticks and casting fireballs.

But a Tolkein game without heavy fantasy and supernatural elements abounding throughout will be a very barren and sad thing, at least to me. Is there any thought from staff on how this will be approached in the new world of Laketown RPI?

Personally I think Arda is an incredibly magical place, and you really can't step a few feet out your door without encountering it. Particularly in our area, at the intersection of the influence of the Dwarves, Elves, Smaug, and the Necromancer, magic would likely be rife. I think that Tolkien's magic, though, is often subtle in the extreme, at least for most folks. I have no doubt that most folks will have encountered something magical in their lifetimes, but they may not have realized it. Anyone stepping into Mirkwood would have seen magic all around them. Anyone seeing an elf would have seen magic. Heck, if you see a dwarf hammering a sword, you would see magic. Would you realize it? Maybe not. Would you have some inclination that you are seeing something unusual? Perhaps.

Food for thought: http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2011/10/ ... gic-items/
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Icarus wrote:
Kite wrote:That's a good starting list. I'd like to add, as I saw it a few times, that old admins like me and Japheth probably have all the old zipped up versions of SOI flatfiles and web directories that you could possibly need. If they're needed.

Those would be quite useful! Could you send them Frigga-way?
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Icarus wrote:C/Ping Japh's post to our forums, so we can discuss them in depth.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:39 pm

EltanimRas wrote:
Icarus wrote:I think that it is more along the lines of the theme of those PCs. You had an amazing baker? We'd love for you to be one again. An amazing woodworker? Please, head the guild. A warrior of significant guile? Welcome to the militia! We are open to suggestions and possibilities.

There were PCs with some highly unreasonably theme/history/skillsheet combinations, you know. It might not be in the best interests of the game for you to be too generous with your players. :P
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Icarus wrote:If you played a Haradrim Sorcerer with a boat containing wargs, then no, you will not get a Rhun Magister with a boat containing magic spiders.

Things will be adjusted to fit the theme.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Zargen wrote:Not to beat a dead wary or anything but the age old question pops up...on the topic of spiders and orcs. Do I need to go any further? :lol:

I just leafed through those articles you posted friggs and I'm surprised I've never ran across them before. In particular the one about magic and meklor and the dale toy maker was a fun read. I want a lake town toysmith
Also can I has a magicky orc shaman. I called it first. You give it to krelm I will be so mad.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Nimrod wrote:
Icarus wrote:... with a boat containing wargs

Hey! I remember those/that warg(s)!
Nimrod
Game Lead

Krelm wrote:
Zargen wrote:You give it to krelm I will be so mad.

I already done this, son.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Hobbithero wrote:Will there be transparency of staff actions, with regards to the issues raised by Japheth and others? In the past, it was common procedure that the result of staff discussions were not disclosed to players, leading to false assumptions by the player base.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Icarus wrote:I'm an unrepenting advocate of staff transparency in most issues.

I plan on posting the finished writeup of Japh's thing here when we finish it on our end.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Renal wrote:
Icarus wrote:If you played a Haradrim Sorcerer with a boat containing wargs, then no, you will not get a Rhun Magister with a boat containing magic spiders.

Things will be adjusted to fit the theme.

Laughs were shat.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Drew7uk wrote:I think most of the cornerstone questions have been asked by Japheth and others, and maybe the answer to this will come with an answer to those, but perhaps there's a more specific goal for this:

- How rigid or flexible do you intend to make the game world and storyline based on the actions of characters?

One of the coolest things about RPIs, in my opinion, is that feeling you can leap in and strive for any goal and in some way impact the game world around you. I'd be intrigued to know how far the game world could potentially be impacted by players.

- How do you guys intend to create/monitor the economy which appears when the game first opens? I recall from various spheres that topics like player vs vNPC goods and the balance thereafter was always crucial in some part to the activity and involvement of the player base.

- Sailing and/or fishing! Are we likely to see (long awaited) innovations to sailing or some description?

Think that about does it for now.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Drew7uk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks Nimrod, you're the best :) that must've been a pain in the ass.
Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login