It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:24 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Crafting/Skills/Races

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Crafting/Skills/Races

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 am

And my post was about repairing not the repair crafts. Will anyone just be able to repair smaller damages?
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Throttle » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 am

I hope so.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Octavius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:18 am

Matt wrote:And my post was about repairing not the repair crafts. Will anyone just be able to repair smaller damages?

I expect so...

We designed it that way on ARPI. Small damages use small repair kits that don't require a skill level, but do help you open the skill through use. (Repair your gear often enough and you open Armorcraft.)

Is there any reason in your experience that would recommend a change in that?
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Throttle » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 am

Nope, but learning skills by use of repair kits was either broken or just took so long that it effectively didn't exist. I never heard of anybody who learned weapon- or armorcrafting through repairing. I tried very hard to do it on my longest-lived character, repairing all my own armor and often other people's as well, and even received a couple of succesful teaching lessons from an actual armorcrafter. The character lived for like five months and had over 30 days played, but later on when I was an admin, I checked his skills and armorcrafting was like 6.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Octavius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:21 am

Matt wrote: Higher defense=less damage to the actual armor because of smaller wounds. So, that might be something to look at.

Throttle wrote:Nope, but learning skills by use of repair kits was either broken or just took so long that it effectively didn't exist. I never heard of anybody who learned weapon- or armorcrafting through repairing.

Both of these have been put on the coding to-do list for Nimrod. :) Thanks for the testing and feedback.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am

I think anyone being able to repair armor and weapons at poor and ordinary levels is fine. But superior stuff should be a headache and need a professional for even little stuff. In my opinion.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Octavius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:05 am

Matt wrote:I think anyone being able to repair armor and weapons at poor and ordinary levels is fine. But superior stuff should be a headache and need a professional for even little stuff. In my opinion.

Fair enough. The complication is that repair kits are governed by material... to have superior metal armor governed differently from ordinary metal armor, it can't be tagged as METAL. If we don't tag it is material type metal, it then it impacts the recycling firebreathers, artistry, etc as well. We'll need to work through what is broken by that fix and which is more painful.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Octavius wrote:
Matt wrote:I think anyone being able to repair armor and weapons at poor and ordinary levels is fine. But superior stuff should be a headache and need a professional for even little stuff. In my opinion.

Fair enough. The complication is that repair kits are governed by material... to have superior metal armor governed differently from ordinary metal armor, it can't be tagged as METAL. If we don't tag it is material type metal, it then it impacts the recycling firebreathers, artistry, etc as well. We'll need to work through what is broken by that fix and which is more painful.

Agree with Matt and as I posted in the armoury thread, anything that will increase the speed of break down of equipment and remove them from the game is a good thing in my book. However, utility is definitely important and overall cost vs benefit.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby benjaboonchar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:22 pm

My essential question is, do the staff have anyway of saying x ingots of imported iron equate to maintaining the armour of y combat characters. If the iron is used only for armour, the combat characters actually see combat and the iron is used with 100% effiency?

By finding the link between the amount of iron injected into the system and the twinkiest way to use the stuff staff can then adjust the quantity of iron imports (and possibly wear and tear code) based on how much armour you actually want to see in combat, whatever that amount might be.
benjaboonchar
Verified Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login