It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:40 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Orc Play!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Orc Play!

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Zargen wrote:Something I wanted to note while i was diddling in create character. Orcish descriptives for pregenerated descriptions would be sweet. Im sure its on the list but I wanted to make mention. Like orc skin colors, fang related teeth options. Different pointy ears. Orc stuff :p

On a related note, as a role play intensive game I would be dead set against any sort of pre-generated player content, be it short descriptions, long descriptions anything that the player would previously have done themselves. I argue it would lower the overall quality of the game, first descriptions, then emotes then roleplay.

By all means we should have some key words to help players describe their creation, but it should not be as simple as picking out a handful of random characteristics. I believe there was a document during the earlier days of SOI that had a whole load of descriptive words for players to use.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Yoink » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:27 pm

I've been putting some thought into planning my first orc today, myself. :D
Is it too early to get unhealthily excited about opening? Probably.
But it's too late for me either way. *froths at the mouth*
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Zargen » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:19 pm

The description generator has been nothing but a boon as far as im concerned. Especially for players who may have no clue how their orc should look(first time players) or players who simply arent that great at descriptions like all us old salty vets. I even enjoy using it from time to time on my characters since we can always go into more extensive detail using dmotes. Even if you dont use it, itd be nice for them to be there.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Zargen wrote:The description generator has been nothing but a boon as far as im concerned. Especially for players who may have no clue how their orc should look(first time players) or players who simply arent that great at descriptions like all us old salty vets. I even enjoy using it from time to time on my characters since we can always go into more extensive detail using dmotes. Even if you dont use it, itd be nice for them to be there.

I would disagree entirely, from my own experiences it is normally the newer players who put thought and effort in to their descriptions and those with a higher turn over of PC's resort to using the generator. And besides, in this day and age who does not know what an orc looks like in any setting?

EDIT
First and foremost this is a game who's only medium is text, if you can not describe yourself you will not be able to describe what you are doing with any sort of accuracy or measurable standard. Yes, we are inclusive and want all to join and enjoy the SOI experience but not at the cost of what makes the game so enjoyable.
Last edited by Hawkwind on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:50 pm

I hate auto generated descriptions.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Evilone » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:11 pm

I don't have a problem with them. I think they are especially helpful for new players, and I'd rather them be focused on learning other things first, then spending time writing descriptions for a character which will probably die fairly quick anyway.
Death is only the beginning.
Evilone
Verified Member

Postby Yoink » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:02 am

I remember loathing pretty much every auto-generated desc I've gotten on an RPI... personally I'd rather not have them, but if they really do help retain new players, I guess they're a necessary evil?

I mean, someone already has to write a backstory, I suppose- having a description generated based on a bunch of simple choices would make chargen a bit less daunting for some.

...Wow, talk about an about-face. :?
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Kayube » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:46 pm

With musicianship/tale-telling being a skill, I got to wondering how an orc musician might work and what would go into making orc songs. There are only a few examples in the actual books, but it does give me some idea of what kind of direction they'd go in. Mostly I'd assume it'd be motivational songs for work and fighting, with the occasional taunt-your-enemies song of the Fifteen Birds ilk. Could get some influence from sea shanties.
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:58 pm

I am against an Orc sphere until we have the playerbase to support one. Only once there is an adequate amount of people playing concurrently should it be considered.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Yoink » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:10 pm

I am against a human sphere until we have the playerbase to support one. Only once there is an adequate amount of people playing concurrently should it be considered.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Lungorthin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:33 pm

Kayube wrote:With musicianship/tale-telling being a skill, I got to wondering how an orc musician might work and what would go into making orc songs. There are only a few examples in the actual books, but it does give me some idea of what kind of direction they'd go in. Mostly I'd assume it'd be motivational songs for work and fighting, with the occasional taunt-your-enemies song of the Fifteen Birds ilk. Could get some influence from sea shanties.

Ritual feasts, victory songs, work songs as you mentioned. I would LOVE to see a player go this route. A lot of potential to shine and I haven't seen it done in my playing days, not to say it hasn't.
Lungorthin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:19 am

I think at this point we have more orc sphere players around then humans. I have no interest in human play and I'm sure a -lot- of orc players feel the same. We're dedicated.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Zargen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:20 am

What matt said. We lot take our orc shenanigans very seriously.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Emilio » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Should we go for a census poll to see how many players will be in each sphere?
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby BoogtehWoog » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:30 pm

There was never any point in SOI's history in which the Orc sphere was ever more popular than the human sphere. Not in Minas Morgul, not in Tur Edendor, not in Moria. It attracts a more dedicated playerbase, but that doesn't mean they have ever numbered more than human players.

I would love to see an Orc sphere; however, until we have the playerbase to even support one sphere, it should not exist. One of the worst things to ever happen to SOI was how diluted the playerbase became with all of the expansions and player areas. And I would hate to see SOI suffer again from that.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 pm

But if 90% of those orc players don't bother playing at all you're doing a lot more harm.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Yoink » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:55 pm

BoogtehWoog wrote:There was never any point in SOI's history in which the Orc sphere was ever more popular than the human sphere. Not in Minas Morgul, not in Tur Edendor, not in Moria. It attracts a more dedicated playerbase, but that doesn't mean they have ever numbered more than human players.

I would love to see an Orc sphere; however, until we have the playerbase to even support one sphere, it should not exist. One of the worst things to ever happen to SOI was how diluted the playerbase became with all of the expansions and player areas. And I would hate to see SOI suffer again from that.

Ah... so you're seriously suggesting a PVE game? :shock:
I was half-hoping your last post was made in jest, as was mine in response to it. I won't try and start an argument here, but I am very, very glad that a single-sphere, PVE-based game is not on the cards.

Also: what Matt said. And besides, I doubt our playerbase is going to be as small as you fear, not even from the early stages. If past experience is anything to go by, we'll have a sudden flood of players, both old and new, coming from all the niches and nooks across the interwebs where RPI players and Tolkien fans alike make their homes.

Edit: I hope I don't come off as overly rude/snarky in that first paragraph. I just feel rather strongly about this subject, having been, for lack of a better term, 'given the shaft' back in the olde days with Egthela's sudden closing.
Last edited by Yoink on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Zargen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Matt wrote:But if 90% of those orc players don't bother playing at all you're doing a lot more harm.

Matt could use some more quoting for truth. If I can help it, I won't ever roll a human unless absolutely necessary(usually when I get a lot of pleading from the peanut gallery for it). And then only if I get to play as whatever particular shtick I have in mind. If I can't be one or the other I usually choose not to play. Theres plenty of other games out there to kill away my time with.

And im sure a lot of the dedicated dark side players feel the same way. We want SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE and nothing less!
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Yoink » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:04 pm

I'd settle for tibias- I think a throne built from cylindrical bones, stacked crossways, would be far more structurally sound than one made from balanced skulls. Ribcages would be perhaps even better!

It really damages one's Dark Evil Lord Cred when you sit down in your Menacing Evil Throne of Dead Enemies only for the whole thing to collapse... :oops:
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Manarath » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:16 pm

I have to agree with Matt, Zargen and Yoink. Uruk is my comfort zone for Sol, and its the main place I have the most interest in. While I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys it, I personally have never had any real draw to the other side. In the previous Sol's it was pretty much predetermined that the orc sphere's never had a chance, because well......Tolkien. But honestly, who wants to play the side that everyone knows is going to win regardless? Me, I'm an underdog kinda guy, and you don't get anymore under, then Tolkien orcs.
Manarath
Unverified User

Postby Evilone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 pm

I don't imagine there would only be PVE just because you didn't have a Orc Sphere. I've seen good combat in my time not just against PC's too. I wouldn't have a problem with PVE, it's been done well in the past. It has downsides and upsides, but the main point BoogtehWoog tried to get across I agree with. If we lost the few Orc players, then that would be a shame, but at the start point, we won't have the numbers to dilute the players. The theme won't do everything. It might get them a look, but if they are wandering around with only seeing a couple people, they won't stay around.

If there was never any interest for a human sphere, I'd still stick around to give the Orc sphere a go. I think the odds would be better than 90% for the reverse.
Evilone
Verified Member

Postby Throttle » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:39 am

It's usually at the start that you have the most players. We got 50+ concurrent peak logins for the first few days of PRPI and that was essentially just a glorified Grungetown reboot with mostly recycled content. It stayed above 40 per night for over a week and settled in the 30s for quite a while before it ran out of steam because it was a short-term project. That was a game we made in two weeks.

The numbers will start high and then gradually decline towards their plateau, that's almost completely certain. This is a game that already has a playerbase and a lot of people are waiting for it to open, plus the genre is missing new material, and there's the new movies which will get people googling for Middle-Earth games or remembering that they used to play SOI. There's no reason why the numbers shouldn't be even higher than ARPI and PRPI had in the beginning.

If there's ever a time for two spheres, it's early on when the playerbase is big and people are enthusiastic. It will help keep the numbers high and attract/retain as many players as possible, hopefully minimizing the post-launch drop-off. There's no such thing as "we won't have the players early on" -- that's when we'll have the most players, and that's when they need to get hooked in instead of letting them get bored of the single sphere and drift away again after a month.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Evilone » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:48 am

Have staff confirmed both spheres will be open at start of play?
Evilone
Verified Member

Postby Throttle » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:11 am

At the start of the full launch, I believe, yes. I think Alpha is just Uttterby.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Zargen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 am

Wasnt there mention earlier in the thread about a small orc warren to go alongside utterby? Might be daydreaming.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login