Change font size

General Discussion

Orc Play!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Orc Play!

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:08 pm

Tarks, ha! I miss Mordor. :cry:

On a note more related to the topic, orcs did eat there own, cannibalistic and such would it be too hard to have a generic turn corpse in to orc flesh?

I have not read the previous responses, this may have already been suggested.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Is eating humans even going to be allowed? Never was back in the day.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Throttle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:30 pm

I think orcs eating humans should be allowed, but I wouldn't mind handwaving a reason why that particular tribe of orcs don't eat their own. Most of the reason not to have cannibalism was to avoid giving people an easy excuse for excessive PKing within their own sphere, and to not cause situations where they had to choose which PC to eat if they ran low on food. It's already hard enough being the weakest goblin around without others having an actual coded incentive to kill you even when you hadn't done anything wrong. Players should never stand to benefit from the sheer act of killing other PCs, it should have roleplay-related reasons and justifications, and cannibalism really goes against that notion.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Zargen » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 pm

I actually dont recall anyone ever telling me I -couldn't- eat humans as an orc. I've definitely done it on many occasions :lol:

CHOP CHOP CHOP!

emote cuts *head in half and nibbles its brains.

On the topic of orc cannibalism. Do we know for certain it was "okay"? if I remember from the books one orc didnt take too kindly to being told he eats other orcs or something along those lines.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:55 am

Throttle does raise a point I did not think of, I would not be opposed to a hand-wave if it prevents a PK endemic. Mordor has always had an increased PK rate, which is to be expected and desired, but actively rewarding the killing of other sphere players may be counter productive.

Humans, on the other hand, from that filthy Laketown hole in the wall, I would hope they would be fair game. Good sport too.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby cfelch » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Didn't this all stem from people trying to skin humans back in the day?

I remember something about a canonical/legal issue with having any items crafted from sentient races.

As such it was deemed that no items would be made to 'support' that line of RP, though the RP was fine in and of itself.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Matt wrote:Is eating humans even going to be allowed? Never was back in the day.

You're never going to see skinnable humans here at SoI, so no, you will never be able to eat a human through code.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby MrDvAnt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:28 pm

In response, yes in The Two Towers one group of orcs insults the Isengard Uruk-Hai by accusing them of eating orc flesh.

So, I know this was discussed on the old SoI forums, but don't remember if there was ever an outcome. One thing I'd be interested in seeing is orcs whose speech can actually be understood without having to spend a minute translating what they've said. There seems to be a tradition of making non humans speak with some sort of weird, contrived accent which was never represented in any of the books. They speak just fine in every instance of their dialogue.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Zargen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 pm

As to horrible mangled orc accents. I prefer to speak clearly but use a voice string to point out a particulat kind of orc drawl.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Zargen wrote:As to horrible mangled orc accents. I prefer to speak clearly but use a voice string to point out a particulat kind of orc drawl.

Then I hope you are in the minority, I love them.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:04 am

"Wha' chu snaga's spattin' 'bout, yah?"
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby cfelch » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:11 am

Hmm... i think its to express a combination of: lack of education, backwoods tendencies, and a certain cavalier attitude regarding sentence structure to spite the antisemitic linguists.

I can appreciate accents, provided there is still enough left to be -easily- legible, but overall i think i prefer the voice strings as well.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Yoink » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:58 am

My orcs usually spoke normally when speaking Orcish, and had horrible accents when speaking Black-Speech. *shrug*

Will our orc tribesfolk be able to speak... uhh, whatever the common human tongue is called?
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Octavius » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 am

Yoink wrote:Will our orc tribesfolk be able to speak... uhh, whatever the common human tongue is called?

As a general rule, most PCs will have Common and a Race Language.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby whitt37 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 am

Octavius wrote:Question: What is it that Orc Farmers farm?

Tell me "a day in the life" of an orc who is not currently engaged in combat. What activities are immersive in how you envision this culture (that I then should make possible for you with code)?

Dag nabbit... I slip away for a week and people make good posts. The nerve!

I like Zargens notes on brewing, leather working, armor-smithing, and hunting. I think the key is to keep a focus on Orcs as Industry vs Agriculture. Orc culture creates only what it needs to do its job of corrupting and destroying the natural cycle of things.

Lumberworking is fine, because wood = fires, arrows, shields, and etc... Orc lumbering is crude - unconcerned about sustainable use of the forests. So trees are hacked down regardless of actual use, and not done so in a pretty fashion.

Mining is likewise fine, if not better. Ironically with the finer metals - gold, silver, etc... discarded as waste because those metals are soft and devoid of hard use. Mining would feed metalworking, and be were most orcs would spend their time. PC orcs being the exceptions.

Metalcraft is great. Armor, weapons, and the like are the bread and butter of the orcs. Important fact is that the orc gear looked crude, but orcs were described as being excellent crafters of effective gear. I always think the classic comparison of Cold War russian weapons of war versus western weapons. The west had padded leather seats in their 100 tanks. The russians had 1,000 tanks. The russians would have gladly used western designs. Western soldiers roundly mocked the gear of their eastern opponents for cultural reasons.

So how do PC orcs spend their time. This is tough. Part of me wants to say the PC orcs should be on a pretty rigid schedule based on the in-game time.

Period 1 - Train for Battle
Period 2 - Do your work, Mine/Lumber/Craft/Hunt whichever well recovering from training
Period 3 - Downtime/Raiding
back to Period 1

Schedule would break (hopefully frequently) for a run out to raid something, anything. Maybe there could be code generated opportunities for raiding? Like something that pops up out in the Mirkwood on a daily basis. Scout orcs need to go out and find it during Period 2, back to turn downtime into raiding time.

Really depends on OOC sensitive information as noted above - What are these Orcs doing in the mirkwood? If they are looking for something, then push the missions above occasionally in that direction. Let the PCs, probably with IMM involvement find pieces of a puzzle that need to be pieced together. How do the orcs of Mirkwood win? That's a question only the IMM of the Orc Sphere can answer. That answer can not be kill all Hoomans. That won't happen, but there should be something that requires conflict with Laketown.

For example, one long term goal could be to dam the river. Why? Who cares, really. Certainly not 80% of the orcs. The PCs might want to piece it together, so there should be a longer term goal, but more important. The Orcs will need to establish a lumbering operation, build earthwork defenses, and defend their efforts to block the river. Patrols will need to be sent south to keep the humans away. Running battles may occur as the lumber camps are discovered. Finally if the dam is completed there should be a major battle as the laketowners come in force to clear the jam.

One thing I always loved about being an orc player was the tragic ending which (I always knew as a player) had to come. This is Tolkien's world. Evil doesn't get to win long term, but the number of ripples that can slapped into the pond? Epic. Rambling now... hope I wasn't too late and the above makes sense.
whitt37
Verified Member

Postby MrDvAnt » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 am

Good stuff. Don't worry, you'll never get a tl;dr out of me. I know how to read.

I guess orc activity would have to do with what's going on like you said. If they have a strong leader organizing them, they can be put toward a goal. If it's just a band of orcs with a nominal tough guy orc claiming leadership, or a few bands of orcs split into factions, then most likely they spend most of their time doing absolutely nothing. The daily life of an orc not being constantly bullied into working probably involves finding things to eat, fighting other orcs, finding things to eat, sleeping, fighting other orcs, sleeping, finding things to eat...etc. That would probably get boring after awhile though, so it would probably be best for them to be working toward some goal.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Zargen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:44 pm

How many of us are for sure going to be orcs? I already have my character planned out and wouldnt mind getting in touch with others to see what kind of orctype they plan on rolling in as for the sake of avoiding half a dozen orcs with the same exact skill set :lol:
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

You know... probably all the usuals. Seems like a lot of them are actually the ones on the forums right now. I'll be the bad ass orc that loves killing pink skins.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby MrDvAnt » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 pm

I'll probably make one. Focus on fighting with either some mining or armour making. He'll be the one speaking canonically.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby whitt37 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Pretty sure I can't help myself. Blackblood runs in my veins.
whitt37
Verified Member

Postby VadokUshtarak » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:53 pm

whitt37 wrote:Pretty sure I can't help myself. Blackblood runs in my veins.

This pleases me greatly.
Follow me @VadokUshtarak
VadokUshtarak

Postby Zargen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:18 pm

Shibby. I figured all the old crew will be rolling orcs. Just like old times aye guys? If there will be admin support for the sets i planned wood and stoneworking. Crude orcish defences are the best. Bonus if everything is covered in spikes and skulls.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Octavius » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:26 am

Zargen wrote:Shibby. I figured all the old crew will be rolling orcs. Just like old times aye guys? If there will be admin support for the sets i planned wood and stoneworking. Crude orcish defences are the best. Bonus if everything is covered in spikes and skulls.

Thanks. That's good feedback.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:19 pm

I'm very interested in orc building crafts. I think orcs would set up various hidey holes in their territory and doing so would be interesting and spur a lot of rp.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Zargen » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Something I wanted to note while i was diddling in create character. Orcish descriptives for pregenerated descriptions would be sweet. Im sure its on the list but I wanted to make mention. Like orc skin colors, fang related teeth options. Different pointy ears. Orc stuff :p
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login