It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:13 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Economics! Example things so I don't clog up the main thread

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Economics! Example things so I don't clog up the main thread

Postby Letters » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Rather than fill up the main thread any more, I wanted to give some specific examples of how I envisage that thing I proposed working out.

Billybob, the independent fisherman
Billybob owns a boat. He catches fish to earn a living. He is not employed by anyone. He doesn't do any other work on the side.

A week in the life of Billybob might go as follows.

Day by day, Billybob goes out onto the lake or down the river in his boat, with a net and all that useful stuff. Billybob is quite a capable fisherman, and with his net, or perhaps some fish traps, or such other things - the specifics or unimportant - he can catch quite a large amount of fish. This requires a good deal of effort and time, and consequently, Billybob's bulk crafts incur a lengthy timer, of anywhere up to 48 hours. Furthermore, some of his crafts may produce morphing objects, which require him to return and attend to them later on, albeit with timerless crafts, but he still can't rest on his laurels. His bulk crafts are nevertheless drastically more efficient than using easier, quicker crafts to catch individual fish, or small numbers, such as a mere part-time fisherman might indulge in.

Billybob has a substantial quantity of fish to sell. He doesn't have the facilities or the time to smoke or salt the fish, so he prefers to sell directly to the local community, who have a use for fresh fish. A merchant is always an option, but most merchants prefer the Megafishcorp's processed fish, so Billybob better be able to cut them an appealing deal.

Smaug, the watchman
The unfortunately named Smaug is a member of the local watch, or whatever the appropriate official militia might happen to be. Every month, he receives a list of orders from his NPC superiors. These orders are actually just generic and essentially OOC objects that ensure that the watchman must actually do some watching if he wishes to be paid for his job. They can be used in crafts to generate a sum of coin. There's a limit, of course, to how often this can be done - no sudden surge of money. More notably, these crafts have timer on them.

Smaug wishes to engage in a spot of lumberjacking on the side. Consequently, he's left with a choice. His list of orders will morph out of existence within an IG month of its initial issue, so it's not an infinite, endlessly available option to spawn coin from nowhere. He can continue doing his job with the watch full time, and he'll need to, to get the most out of it, since there are timers on those crafts. Alternatively, he can decide that he really really wants to cut down some trees, and so he dedicates some of his available timer time to that, instead.

Jack, the tailor
Jack makes clothes. He sells them to all sorts of people. Clothes take time to make, so Jack has opted to focus on and be known for his hard-wearing tunics, for labourers of all sorts. He sells directly to them, and to owners of companies which employ them. Further, as well as being able to sell to PCs, Jack is granted a token which enables the sale of a limited quantity of goods to an NPC once in a while, sufficient to keep his head above water even if the PC demand for clothing is low. Jack purchases food from a local collective, while his flax and wool is sourced largely from an independent farmer.

Emily, the farmer with a collective
Emily is an independent farmer. She employs a hand or two to help on her farm in busy seasons. She does not work for any company, nor does she see a need to. She does, however, see the advantage of being a member of a collective - and here, I envisage a collective as being like a guild of sorts, only for primary producers of raw materials. She 'sells' her goods to the collective, as do a few other associated members, while the collective's annually elected representative then sells the goods on to all sorts of other PCs.

Collective rules prevent Emily from doing business on the side, but she is, on the other hand, guaranteed a fair share of the proceeds from a sale, and the collective can act as a single entity to enforce prices as it likes them.

Muddy, the jack of all trades
Muddy can never make up his mind. He has a passing ability in all sorts of trades, but is unwilling to focus in on any one of them. Consequently, he's only passably skilled in most of them, and a little better in others. He's certainly sure to be able to find work, but he may not be the best paid ever, since he's just not the most efficient or skilled worker in any given field. Craft timers prevent him from producing an excess of absolutely everything. He still has options, at least.

Jane, the company owner
Jane owns a building complex complete with a barracks room, a kitchen, a boathouse and a workshop. She employs an assortment of people there, to gather raw materials for her. She has a few contacts amongst local merchants, all of which are PCs, who she sells her goods to. She pays her employees a small flat rate, modified by bonuses for good work, as well as providing them all with free room, board, clothing and tools. They gather raw materials, and process them into goods fit for sale, too, where applicable. Two of them even work with the militia, but she doesn't mind it - they just don't see bonuses very often.

Percy, the merchant
Percy is a merchant. He handles far larger sums of money than most people will ever see. Of course, most of it will probably need to be invested in keeping his trade going. He's licensed by the town, and the town has a tendency to tax Percy on his earnings from time to time.

Percy purchases goods from all sorts of PCs. These are primarily raw materials, although he has been known to dabble in procuring finished goods and reselling them within the town itself. His license, however, permits him to engage in trade with foreigners, and that's where the money's really at. He deals with dwarves from the Iron Hills, and elves from the Woodland Realm, and all sorts of traders and travellers from elsewhere. He sells raw materials, and they pay in silver and gold.

Further, they often bring goods which cannot otherwise be obtained in Esgaroth, including both certain raw materials such as iron, and high quality finished goods. Percy sells these things on to the PCs that want them.

Charlie the hunter
Uh-oh. I don't know how to handle hunting. Animals spawning everywhere is a big problem if they can be killed and skinned as easily and quickly as before. Never mind that the levels of hunting seen before would have led to the extinction of entire species within a matter of months. Perhaps we could add reasonably hefty timers to crafts to prepare an animal's skin and carcass to be even remotely fit for sale?
Last edited by Letters on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Re: Economics! Example things so I don't clog up the main th

Postby Emilio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Nice reading!
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Re: Economics! Example things so I don't clog up the main th

Postby Olthadir » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:44 pm

This makes your point much clearer, Letters. Thank you.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login