Dual-wield vs shield-use

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

User avatar
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:01 pm
Location: Brought to You Live, Via Sorcery

Re: Dual-wield vs shield-use

Post by krelm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

It feels like one's dual-wield skill goes up really slowly when fighting with a shield.
I don't know, but I've got maybe 2 days of playtime on my current character, and I went from novice d-wield to familiar in that time, without sparring religiously or getting into very many fights, and everytime I did spar I used a shield. Meanwhile, on other characters, I had like 10 days of playtime, used two weapons every fight, fought and sparred constantly, and never got above familiar.

The formerly-mentioned character, by the by, is peak int, and the latter was poor int. I think int plays a much larger factor in skillgain than people give it credit for.
One among the fence.

Raukran
Unverified User
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:44 am
Contact:

Re: Dual-wield vs shield-use

Post by Raukran » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Songweaver wrote:
Oblivion wrote:Right now, it seems, that the person with the highest strength wielding two weapons and thus hitting more often, will win.
Maybe in spars, but I've not found this to be the case in actual PvP with real weapons. Sometimes, but it's definitely not a given.
I agree with Songweaver's assessment here. Sole-wielders represent.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.

Letters
Elf Recruit
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Dual-wield vs shield-use

Post by Letters » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Sole-wield is just objectively bad. People ran tests on both ARPI and PRPI with mobs pitted against each other dozens of times over, or dozens of mobs against each other all at once. Dual-wield is always, always better, whether with a weapon and shield or two weapons. Sole-wield's only saving grace is ward.

That said, I would still like to see dual-wield gone and replaced by shield-use. Like I said whenever. :P
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Dual-wield vs shield-use

Post by tehkory » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:48 pm

krelm wrote:
It feels like one's dual-wield skill goes up really slowly when fighting with a shield.
The formerly-mentioned character, by the by, is peak int, and the latter was poor int. I think int plays a much larger factor in skillgain than people give it credit for.
Very much so. I agree. Poor int takes foooooreeeever to get anywhere with.

User avatar
Songweaver
Ent Sapling
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Dual-wield vs shield-use

Post by Songweaver » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Letters wrote:Sole-wield is just objectively bad. People ran tests on both ARPI and PRPI with mobs pitted against each other dozens of times over, or dozens of mobs against each other all at once. Dual-wield is always, always better, whether with a weapon and shield or two weapons. Sole-wield's only saving grace is ward.

That said, I would still like to see dual-wield gone and replaced by shield-use. Like I said whenever. :P
Yeah, you can't really compare SOI3 to ARPI/PRPI in terms of combat despite them being of the same engine. The balance and meta-game here is entirely different. Weapon damage/balance between one/two-handed weapons, armor stats, armor tables. All different.
Raukran wrote:
Songweaver wrote:
Oblivion wrote:Right now, it seems, that the person with the highest strength wielding two weapons and thus hitting more often, will win.
Maybe in spars, but I've not found this to be the case in actual PvP with real weapons. Sometimes, but it's definitely not a given.
I agree with Songweaver's assessment here. Sole-wielders represent.
Lots of first-hand experience tells me that sole-wield is as legit as any other style in the current game, and that "builds" have a lot more of an effect in the current game than in previous games. Basically, there are more comparably good options now than ever before.

User avatar
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Dual-wield vs shield-use

Post by Icarus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 pm

I miss the old combat skills sometimes...
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."

Bogre
Verified Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 11:54 am

Re: Dual-wield vs shield-use

Post by Bogre » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:06 am

In SoI, as far as I recall, the split defense skills were really goofy in the way they would work out sometimes. Dodge was still used basically when you were defending unarmed (and thus very situational).

Shield block and parry split was another matter entirely. If you were a shield and weapon user, you'd generally always attempt to block and things were kosher, and if you were sole/dual wielding, you'd always try to parry. But parry, I believe, was based on some sort of 'hand readiness', and so if you set pacifist, you wouldn't be swinging a weapon (even if using a shield), and you'd try to parry. Since they were split, if you were a longtime shield-user, you'd start failing parries and getting hit like nuts.

Post Reply