It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:47 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Progress!!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Progress!!

Postby Nimrod » Fri May 16, 2014 9:41 pm

I'll be looking at this again this evening.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Matt » Sun May 18, 2014 10:13 am

Icarus wrote:Once Chargen is up and running, I'll be having staff do a final test check on our areas, objects, and crafts. Pretty much everything is done at this point, with the exception of some stonecraft stuff and a few other sets. Nothing that /really/ should keep us from golive.

Once that stuff is sorted, and it shouldn't take overlong, I'll have us opening up.

Why do you tease us like this?
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Holmes » Sun May 18, 2014 10:28 am

Matt wrote:
Icarus wrote:Once Chargen is up and running, I'll be having staff do a final test check on our areas, objects, and crafts. Pretty much everything is done at this point, with the exception of some stonecraft stuff and a few other sets. Nothing that /really/ should keep us from golive.

Once that stuff is sorted, and it shouldn't take overlong, I'll have us opening up.

He feasts on your hopes and dreams.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Sun May 18, 2014 10:32 am

Swallow your souls! Swallow your souls!
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby toofast » Sun May 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Matt wrote:

Chargen opened six days ago. Queue a boycott of stonecraft and revolt.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Sun May 18, 2014 10:59 pm

toofastnig wrote:Chargen opened six days ago. Queue a boycott of stonecraft and revolt.

*Points his finger at Toofastnig in an accusing manner*

This... this.... PERSON threatened me!
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby toofast » Mon May 19, 2014 7:27 am

Nimrod wrote:
toofastnig wrote:Chargen opened six days ago. Queue a boycott of stonecraft and revolt.

*Points his finger at Toofastnig in an accusing manner*

This... this.... PERSON threatened me!

Haha, good joke comrade. I will talk about this with you later.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Octavius » Mon May 19, 2014 11:42 am

Subject: Crafting inquiry on customization

Mithrandur wrote:So, would this be something that possible, or even feasible? Or would it simply be easier to simply add on to the crafting code ('forge custom-long-blade' as an example) Which would then require blueprints in addition to other materials which would in turn allow different tradesmen to develop their own brand so to speak. Two different weapon shops could put out the entire same line of weapons but each would aesthetically be different from each other all the while using the exact same craft.

That's exactly right; it applies in the beginning for Weaponcraft only.

Each weapon type (knife, sword, bludgeon, axe, spear) has a set of common styles that can be branched and which don't need a pattern - making an arming sword or saber is common knowledge. There is then a "custom-long-blade" craft which uses a blueprint object (stone tablets for orcs, vellum sheets for humans) which describe a master craftsman's designs. Protecting your workshop's intellectual property then becomes an IG concern.

There is also a "weapon feature" object that can be expanded as the game grows, which will allow the fiddly-bits. Adorning your hilt with embedded warg-teeth, for example. Or, casting a bronze pommel in the shape of a snarling boar. Craftsmen can get a custom craft to use up the right materials and make the $weaponfeature object as an output; that component will then be able to be added to any weapon item.

Between the ability to have custom features and custom styles, weaponcrafting will have a wide degree of latitude within the existing objects and without requiring custom building.

(Weapons also vary the quality of wood and metal based on what is used as an input. They allow any weapon to be improved in its appearance and value by planishing its metal surface to a shine, or to a mirror finish. They allow any weapon to be improved in its effectiveness by honing or razor-sharpening its edge, or by adding studs or spikes to its bludgeon face. These things are built within the set to allow the properties of an individual weapon to be customized without needing custom objects created.)

Why weaponcraft only?

To expedite getting Alpha open, most items were made to be basic-level (below ordinary) and without Style variables. Because they are all built without style variables, you can't get a blueprint for a custom style and have it enter play. All of these items have fixed descriptions.

The plan is to implement style variables on Ordinary (and then Superior) quality objects, so this will arrive for other crafter groups later on.

We built weaponcrafting to be more holistic at the start because of the other code measures in place. There is hardcode to ensure that all weapons keep a firm level of standardization, whether unique or variations of the current item, by overriding attempts to tweak the settings out-of-norm. This is a big change since old SOI that was implemented in the ARPI code.

Staff will collect feedback on the weaponcrafting process at some point in the future and take the Alpha-response into account before updating the other craft sets.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Nimrod » Tue May 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Ohmahgerd! 100 character submissions! Wow.

I'll be working on putting the finishing touches on character review this week and randomly reviewing a few characters. We will be scrolling through and rejecting those that need attention and bypassing those that look okay for now. Once we start accepting applications you can bet that we're darned close to opening the doors.

Thanks to everyone who has discovered bugs in the system and let me know. Special kudos go out to Krelm, Tepes and Toofastnig. Thanks guys!

Also, how does everyone feel about the new process so far? Are we on the right track? Is it easy to use? Will it be newbie friendly? Please let us know.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby krelm » Tue May 20, 2014 5:00 pm

I would like the ability to unsubmit apps so we can make adjustments to them. That would be cool.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Nimrod » Tue May 20, 2014 8:22 pm

krelm wrote:I would like the ability to unsubmit apps so we can make adjustments to them. That would be cool.

This is on my list of things to do and the ability built in. It's very simple. I just have to implement it. It's rather low on my priority list at the moment though.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Matt » Tue May 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Can with get a pre commencement room/day before the game opens? That way we can mingle pocket and set up BGs with other people before we commence. I'd really hate a day of IC introductions in a small orc tribe.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Nimrod » Wed May 21, 2014 4:25 am

We've not decided how we're going to handle this yet, but that's an excellent idea, Matt. We'll discuss this further.

We've got more players that we thought we'd have for Alpha, so it's going to be a bit more effort than we thought. Which is good. Right?
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby toofast » Wed May 21, 2014 7:29 am

Matt wrote:Can with get a pre commencement room/day before the game opens? That way we can mingle pocket and set up BGs with other people before we commence. I'd really hate a day of IC introductions in a small orc tribe.

I love this idea. But there should be two different rooms, one for humans and one for orcs. Obviously. :)
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Wed May 21, 2014 10:48 am

You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Tepes » Wed May 21, 2014 10:50 am

First of all. I agree with the pre-game thing.

Second of all, lawl, Throttle.
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nedinu » Wed May 21, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm not done with my application yet, but I came across a big bug in the generation tool. I got up to descriptions late last night so I went to character overview and left the window open overnight. When I went back to the window today to change the traits, they were all blank, so I went to my list of characters and I had access to four characters that were not mine.

I logged out and logged back in to my account to find my one and only character, so I think I managed to get into someone else's account just by leaving the window open for a long time and refreshing.

I don't remember the character names except for one I think was Grimjoy or something close to that. I didn't do anything other than log out, but the person that owns that character might want to check their applications to see if anything's wrong.
Nedinu
Verified Member

Postby alexjones » Wed May 21, 2014 1:13 pm

chargen is open? how do I access it? when I try to use it it says it's currently disabled.
alexjones
Verified Member

Postby Kayube » Wed May 21, 2014 1:16 pm

I can't get back into the generator stuff at all. I go to the page and hit login and it just keeps me at the same page without actually logging me in.
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nedinu » Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 pm

alexjones wrote:chargen is open? how do I access it? when I try to use it it says it's currently disabled.

It's a web application. There's instructions on the third page of the thread. You go to some url, login, go up to actions and pick generator from the drop-down menu.
Nedinu
Verified Member

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 22, 2014 11:53 am

I have a minor bug in the login routine that doesn't log you out correctly some times and keeps you logged in as a non-user. I'm working on it.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Santi » Fri May 23, 2014 8:50 am

Where is this stable everyone keeps talking about? I've submitted my character but I can't seem to find the poor guy anywhere!
Let me be your pupil; I will soon become your master.
Santi
Verified Member

Postby Saellyn » Fri May 23, 2014 9:01 am

Login, then paste this into your search bar: http://www.middle-earth.us/generator/char_gen_list.php
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby toofast » Fri May 23, 2014 9:22 am

Saellyn wrote:Login, then paste this into your search bar: http://www.middle-earth.us/generator/char_gen_list.php

Not working for me.

Staff, you should uh, decline my app so I can edit it and get rid of those two extra skills and get my sweet four. :nom:
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Fri May 23, 2014 9:36 am

You can cancel a submitted app with option 4 in the game's login menu. You can't actually delete apps through the website generator at all, not even unsubmitted ones.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login