Change font size

General Discussion

Progress!!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Progress!!

Postby Emilio » Mon May 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Armarius wrote:
Nimrod wrote:20 characters in the first hour. Fixed a few bugs thanks to Krelm.

We can finally stroll across the woods? :D

Also, there seems to be a lack of lumberjacking skill. At least described directly as such.

Yeah, where is the skill?
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby krelm » Mon May 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Woodcraft is the skill.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby deerskin » Mon May 12, 2014 10:03 pm

I want to play. *whines*
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nimrod » Mon May 12, 2014 10:05 pm

deerskin wrote:Why can we not go with education or is that not yet implemented?

Education is rpp restricted at the moment. This is mostly for Alpha. We'll make a decision about this for full open.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby deerskin » Mon May 12, 2014 10:17 pm

What about those of us who had RPP before, Nimmy?? I had my heart set on somethingsomething that I already pestered Frigga about foreeeeevvver ago.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby WorkerDrone » Mon May 12, 2014 10:39 pm

It was a foregone conclusion that the RPP we earned from SoI 2.0 was bust.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby deerskin » Mon May 12, 2014 10:43 pm

deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icristhus » Tue May 13, 2014 12:12 am

Crap. I was all ready to go until that first demand: "Name your character."
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nimrod » Tue May 13, 2014 2:13 am

Yep... Sorry. We're starting over with RPP. If you're feeling shafted, just remember we had a few players with 8 or more RPP.

:cry:
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Letters » Tue May 13, 2014 5:29 am

"This attribute represents the constitution and physical make-up of your character, determining his or her overall health, stamina, and toughness. Those with a high constitution can generally wear heavier armor and travel further than others, and are able to better recover from wounds or injuries"

Constitution determines encumbrance levels now?

I'd sort of sworn off combatant PCs. Mrh. Must find an alternative, or I'm going to end up making one anyway.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Armarius » Tue May 13, 2014 8:12 am

Letters wrote:I'd sort of sworn off combatant PCs. Mrh. Must find an alternative, or I'm going to end up making one anyway.

You can just not get in combat.
Armarius
Verified Member

Postby deerskin » Tue May 13, 2014 10:46 am

I'll just start sacrificing cookies to Nim for RPP sprinkles so I can play the role I was looking to play.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nyneve » Tue May 13, 2014 11:30 am

RPP is really starting over?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

I never even got to spend any of mine. I'm never gonna get my Eotheod that I've only wanted FOREVER UGH BUT NO BIG DEAL

Still happy. Begrudged (and my little Nyn heart is so terribly broken it cannae be mended), but happy.

Thanks for all the work y'all have put in. I'm sure it'll be amazing.
“Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.”
Nyneve
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Tue May 13, 2014 12:23 pm

FYI - We will not be approving or rejecting any applications for a bit. I'm still working on some of the backend stuff for that, which shouldn't take much longer to complete. I may reject one or two for testing purposes this week, but none will be accepted until we're completely ready for Alpha. (Bug Icarus and Frigga for a date on that).
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby toofast » Tue May 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Icarus and Frigga, when is alpha opening?

Update: Kite just hit me up on the telly, two weeks confirmed.
Last edited by toofast on Tue May 13, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Tepes » Tue May 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Last I heard, two weeks.
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby Emilio » Tue May 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Yeap, two weeks just sound right!
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Tue May 13, 2014 7:53 pm

No other problems to report with Chargen?

I've fixed a couple of minor things, tweaked some skills and modified the output of the backgrounds so they show line breaks. I've got one other annoying little thing to take care of. Please let me know if you ran into anything at all or if you see something that would make it easier for newbies.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Throttle » Tue May 13, 2014 8:01 pm

The first time I went through the process, I put some placeholder text in the fields in order to just see all the options before doing anything. I then went into each field via the overview index thingy and pasted the desc and background in separately. After submitting, the summary still had the placeholder text in the background field. I've since deleted and re-submitted the application, though.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby deerskin » Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 pm

I wasn't entirely certain while picking stats and their importance if I could have more than one be extremely important. I think that might confuse newbies. Maybe a little blurb there about how it would play out in choosing importance levels.

I also, while picking skills, at first was confused how to gain medicine. I figured it out quickly, but a newbie might not immediately work it out and get frustrated. Maybe a little blurb over combo-skill-required skills there would help.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nimrod » Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 pm

Throttle - Hmmm... If you could create another character and reproduce this problem, I'd appreciate it.

Deerskin - I believe the skills that have pre-requisites have that listed in their help pop-up (click the question mark). Hrm... I just went and checked and it doesn't seem to have them listed as having pre-requisites. I'll put this on my list. Thanks.

As you've probably figured out by now, you can have more than one stat with the same importance. This allows for a lot more control by players when creating their character. i.e. if you want to be a big and strong brute, you'd pick strength as being the most important and list everything else as being very unimportant. This will push your strength stat up and attenuate the others.

FYI - You can think of the stat process as a points system where you can assign the points to each stat from a pool. It's a farily complex algorithm but puts LOTS of control in the player's hands. If you set all stats at 'most important', they'll all get the same boosts from your choice. It's interesting to note that if you do the same thing with 'least-important', you'll get the same exact stats.

You're correct though, we should have some more information for users here. I'll put it on my list.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Icristhus » Tue May 13, 2014 11:13 pm

For my part, the attributes are causing me some hesitancy.

I've got two attributes I want to put as 'the most important' and then another three as 'extremely important', and the final two as 'very important'.

My real curiosity there is just how lopsided that will turn out, though I don't necessarily need exact details.

But for instance, would I be able to expect that the two 'Most Important's would become, say, Peak and then everything else would be avg or poor because I have next to no points left, despite calling them all some degree of 'important'?

I'd hate to accidentally start out with two or three super-massive attributes and poor everything else, because I had no real grasp of what I was telling the application I wanted it to do, other than calling everything some level of 'extremely/very important'.

Would it be possible to give a little bit of transparency here for guiding people like me, without requiring months of trial and error and also without destroying the sense of mystique?
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icristhus » Tue May 13, 2014 11:36 pm

One other item:

Tonight, I can't seem to select any of the following nine skills, which happen to be in a grid in the upper right of the skill selection screen:

Baking, Bludgeon, Brawling,
Cooking, Crossbow, Earthencraft,
First-Aid, Fishing, Forage,

Neither the checkboxes, words, or ?'s are valid, selectable items at the moment, all other skills, checkboxes, and help signs are as clickable as ever.

The 'Save Skills' button at the bottom likewise appears to be broken.

I've tried both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, and I've also tried resetting both browsers (close/relaunch) and clearing their cache/cookies.

I can verify these buttons/links all worked correctly for me at this time yesterday.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Throttle » Tue May 13, 2014 11:41 pm

I can't actually submit applications now. It gets to the last screen and the submit button is gone. I have no pending applications or anything. Also, there seems to be no way to delete stabled applications.

As for the stats, Nimrod, could you maybe roll up ten dummy characters with different stat setups and show the stat levels they came out with as well as their priorities? It'll help us get an idea of how it works and what kinds of stats are produced by different inputs.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 am

Should probably post a staff announcement about rolling characters.
Matt
Ent Sapling

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login