It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

The Character Background Hookup Thread

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

The Character Background Hookup Thread

Postby hobbitboots » Fri May 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Obviously, the only way to have familial relationships is to set them up before you start. Or maybe you'd like to have an old friendship or grudge setup before you even get IG.

For all those needs, here is a thread to help people (like me) find other players to collaborate on PC relationships before alpha starts.

If anyone would like a woodsy little sister, here I am! :D

I'm very willing to collaborate to make a family.

Post here or send me a PM.
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Re: The Character Background Hookup Thread

Postby Jeshin » Fri May 23, 2014 1:57 pm

If someone could clarify what the rules are for joint character background. I vaguely remember playing SOI years ago and being told pre-creation relationships aren't allowed.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby hobbitboots » Fri May 23, 2014 2:53 pm

The last time we had an alpha it was allowed, but yeah wouldn't mind staff weighing in on this. Historically, SoI has been more liberal in allowing things like this in contrast with other RPIs.
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Fri May 23, 2014 2:56 pm

I have no problems with this. I will post sample roles that should provide enough info regarding what you can do. Main points for now:

All characters will be new to the area, fresh off the boat.
Human characters will be from the general eastern Wilderland area, with a preference for small settlements along the River Running. Some locations will be pre-made.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Matt » Fri May 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Best part of ALPHA's are bunches of families being rolled in together. Then promptly dying off because it's beginning of ALPHA.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Fri May 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Also, we are setting up the wiki with info. If your IG family comes from a town you made up, a wiki entry on that town would be helpful ;)

"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Throttle » Fri May 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Human characters will be from the general eastern Wilderland area, with a preference for small settlements along the River Running. Some locations will be pre-made.

Does this apply to everybody or just families arranged before the game opens?
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Octavius » Fri May 23, 2014 3:20 pm

I will make sure that memorial stones suitable for epitaphs are ready to go. :)
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Icarus » Fri May 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Personally I think it should apply to most folks. A vibrant and living Wilderland should be a ripe environment for folks to create towns and relationships and plots with each other.

No reason a litany of minor Orc bands couldn't be created as well for the same lot.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Throttle » Fri May 23, 2014 3:29 pm

I mean must everyone be completely new to the area?
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby pompadourslim » Fri May 23, 2014 3:31 pm

It would help if the staff could say something generally about the conditions in the wilderland, so that we don't end up with Butterfly Collection Town situated not far from the DestroyedBySpidersville. "Lived happily until we decided to move to Laketown to grow our business" is potentially incompatible with "Pushed out of our home by encroaching darkness."

I had generally been operating under the premise that as you go further south on the river going away from Laketown, the forest gradually becomes more dangerous, and that as you move west into the forest, away from the river, the same thing is true.

Are those reasonable assumptions?
pompadourslim
Verified Member

Postby Olthadir » Fri May 23, 2014 3:46 pm

I've considered making a family IG. I think siblings would be the best for my character idea.

I'll accept PMs to start discussing. Expect one shot your way, hobbitboots!
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Fri May 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Throttle wrote:I mean must everyone be completely new to the area?

Yes. In the future, this may change, but this is a plot point as well.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Icarus » Fri May 23, 2014 4:13 pm

pompadourslim wrote:It would help if the staff could say something generally about the conditions in the wilderland, so that we don't end up with Butterfly Collection Town situated not far from the DestroyedBySpidersville. "Lived happily until we decided to move to Laketown to grow our business" is potentially incompatible with "Pushed out of our home by encroaching darkness."

I had generally been operating under the premise that as you go further south on the river going away from Laketown, the forest gradually becomes more dangerous, and that as you move west into the forest, away from the river, the same thing is true.

Are those reasonable assumptions?

Anywhere directly on the river is moderately safe. Anywhere within the actual forest is wildly dangerous. Towns throughout the area exist within the economic context of Laketown being the economic center of the area, and the security atmosphere being one of relative safety. Murauding Orc bands are not roving near the River Running. Bandits are likely a mild problem. Most towns would have a small palisade, and numerous small villages of about 200-500 people exist all over. Life is hard, and no town has particularly grown since the fall of Dale. Primary industries are in fishing, farming, lumber, and other such things. Iron is relatively rare. Trained soldiers are almost never heard of, outside of Laketown. The world is more grey than black and white.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Tiurabo » Sat May 24, 2014 4:13 pm

This is looking pretty good for the human side, but what about orcs? If anyone is putting together a group for the dark side, or just looking for someone to buddy up with for a while, I'd appreciate a PM.

Yeah, I know, orcs don't have 'buddies'. But I can be your bitch!
Tiurabo
Verified Member

Postby toofast » Sat May 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Tiurabo wrote:This is looking pretty good for the human side, but what about orcs? If anyone is putting together a group for the dark side, or just looking for someone to buddy up with for a while, I'd appreciate a PM.

Or you can go into it alone like the rest of us and earn your name through murder and acts of cunning?
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Tiurabo » Sat May 24, 2014 4:30 pm

toofastnig wrote:
Tiurabo wrote:This is looking pretty good for the human side, but what about orcs? If anyone is putting together a group for the dark side, or just looking for someone to buddy up with for a while, I'd appreciate a PM.

Or you can go into it alone like the rest of us and earn your name through murder and acts of cunning?

Sounds like work.

But seriously, I should clarify that I don't think it's necessary to work out a pecking order or clans or whatever before opening. But if it's being done, I'd like to at least see the discussion for my own edification. If we're all just going to bust in on day one and let the best orc take all the good stuff, cool with me.
Tiurabo
Verified Member

Postby Zargen » Sat May 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Dark side players looking to set something up PM me and we can see what we come up with. I really dont think I need to say it since I know most of you on a good level but, looking for experienced and mature vets.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Sun May 25, 2014 11:59 am

I'm not big into setting stuff up before open on the orc side. A couple people working together is cool I guess but beyond that I think it hurts the best part of being orcs. Especially in the beginning.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Zargen » Sun May 25, 2014 10:36 pm

I was looking less along the lines of "this is our little special orc clan" and more "this is a tribe of orcs who all probably know each other well. Some pre-game orc knowledge of your brother uncle and nephew and that jerk snaga handsome skrug" probably all work the same hunting pack.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby deerskin » Mon May 26, 2014 10:47 am

I am seeking a responsible elder brother or a younger sister. Send a PM only if interested. Human only. Orcs smell old cat-lady socks.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nyneve » Mon May 26, 2014 11:32 am

Icarus wrote:
Throttle wrote:I mean must everyone be completely new to the area?

Yes. In the future, this may change, but this is a plot point as well.

Let's say hypothetically I already submitted an app where the hometown is listed as Laketown. Is there a way to get back in and edit those now so that we're not hypothetically shot down and told to re-submit everything on the eve of the opening?

This isn't actually a hypothetical situation at all. I did this because I am a child who doesn't read the instructions before I start the test. :(
“Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.”
Nyneve
Dwarf Recruit

Postby bjg2k1us » Mon May 26, 2014 11:44 am

As a followup to the above, is 'new to the area' specific to Utterby, Utterby + Laketown, or something else?
bjg2k1us
Dwarf Recruit

Postby hobbitboots » Mon May 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Here's the relevant info snipped from staff announcements. The first sentence says it all.

0RPP Human - New Settler:
You hail from some small settlement or another along the River Running between the small sawmill settlement of Utterby near the old Dwarf Road and Laketown on the Long Lake. In each town and village in between, heralds have been shouting for fresh blood to join the hard but profitable work hewing timber on the edge of Mirkwood. Men and women from all walks of life across the region have heard these calls, and in response to the promise of a fair wage for honest work they have boarded the recruiting barge that runs north and south along the River Running. You yourself signed up not long ago, and hopped upon the barge for Utterby, and now you have arrived, green and new. Maybe you cut wood back home, maybe you were a smith, or perhaps you were a spearman in some hunting band. Regardless, here you are. The only directive you have is to report for work and stay out of the drink until you've been settled, though on the trip down you heard tales of trouble in Utterby that may have given you second thoughts...
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Mon May 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Icarus wrote:I have no problems with this. I will post sample roles that should provide enough info regarding what you can do. Main points for now:

http://users.abo.fi/jumppa/Atlas_of_Mid ... erland.gif
Am I correct in assuming 'East Wilderland' includes anything along the Forest River once it's outside of Mirkwood, and down south along the same river once it's passed Esgaroth until it hits Mirkwood again?
tehkory
Master Ent

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login