Skills - What do they actually use?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

User avatar
TheEbonPlague
Verified Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 am

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by TheEbonPlague » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:02 pm

krelm wrote:
jdidds wrote:Eavesdrop:

What is the point with this skill? Is it just an increased ability to hear conversations or are there other uses for it?
It's used for overhearing conversations held via the 'talk' command, whispers, and whenever someone puts words in an emote and you're watching the exit.
Eavesdrop is also used to hear what others are saying in nearby rooms using the either the eavesdrop or listen (can't remember which one) and a direction

Raukran
Unverified User
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:44 am
Contact:

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Raukran » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:08 pm

TheEbonPlague wrote:Eavesdrop is also used to hear what others are saying in nearby rooms using the either the eavesdrop or listen (can't remember which one) and a direction
Stand <direction>
Eavesdrop <direction>

Watching helps also, and may be necessary altogether. I forget.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.

User avatar
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:01 pm
Location: Brought to You Live, Via Sorcery

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by krelm » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:14 pm

Prowess, as far as I'm aware, is the average of your highest weapon, highest defense, and highest style skill.

In old SoI, it was used as a default when you were using a weapon you were unskilled in.

In the current RPI+ engine, since you can open weapon skills by using weapons unskilled, I have no idea what it does.
One among the fence.

User avatar
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by MarcusSaint » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:27 pm

krelm wrote:In the current RPI+ engine, since you can open weapon skills by using weapons unskilled, I have no idea what it does.
Wait... what?

So if I want to use a bludgeoning object and don't have the skill, I can use it and eventually branch it?
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by tehkory » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:28 pm

MarcusSaint wrote:
krelm wrote:In the current RPI+ engine, since you can open weapon skills by using weapons unskilled, I have no idea what it does.
Wait... what?

So if I want to use a bludgeoning object and don't have the skill, I can use it and eventually branch it?
Yes.

BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by BoogtehWoog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:29 pm

That's so cool. :shock: 8-)

User avatar
jdidds
Elf Recruit
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 am
Location: Somewhere over there

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by jdidds » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Really struggling to decide what to select on a combat build. I'm thinking bludgeon would be my skill of choice and, according to what's posted above, that would require agi and str. But, now we have the problem that almost every stat is important for combat. I'm really stuck as to what levels to set the various stats. Any help?

Code: Select all

There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by tehkory » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:28 pm

jdidds wrote:Really struggling to decide what to select on a combat build. I'm thinking bludgeon would be my skill of choice and, according to what's posted above, that would require agi and str. But, now we have the problem that almost every stat is important for combat. I'm really stuck as to what levels to set the various stats. Any help?
What are you trying to -do-? Strength and agi are the best for DPS, as one increases your burst(damage-per-hit), and the other increases your rate-of-attacks. Both increase your DPS, but peak agi+peak str will be gloriously beautiful for full damage builds. But then there's 'tanking,' which requires con/wil/agi(and maybe some strength, for wearing armor).

You can, in this codebase/with these skills, put dex/presence at 1. And I'd fully recommend it.

Matt
Ent Sapling
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Bludgeon is mostly str if you're worried about skill caps.

Raukran
Unverified User
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:44 am
Contact:

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Raukran » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:43 pm

tehkory wrote:
jdidds wrote:Really struggling to decide what to select on a combat build. I'm thinking bludgeon would be my skill of choice and, according to what's posted above, that would require agi and str. But, now we have the problem that almost every stat is important for combat. I'm really stuck as to what levels to set the various stats. Any help?
What are you trying to -do-? Strength and agi are the best for DPS, as one increases your burst(damage-per-hit), and the other increases your rate-of-attacks. Both increase your DPS, but peak agi+peak str will be gloriously beautiful for full damage builds. But then there's 'tanking,' which requires con/wil/agi(and maybe some strength, for wearing armor).

You can, in this codebase/with these skills, put dex/presence at 1. And I'd fully recommend it.
Toss intelligence in there too as a dump stat. Play the game hardmode with patience. Okay, I don't know if that really is the best course of action. But, your leftover stats are pretty impressive at least, and I'm experimenting with something similar currently.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by tehkory » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Raukran wrote:
tehkory wrote:
jdidds wrote:Really struggling to decide what to select on a combat build. I'm thinking bludgeon would be my skill of choice and, according to what's posted above, that would require agi and str. But, now we have the problem that almost every stat is important for combat. I'm really stuck as to what levels to set the various stats. Any help?
What are you trying to -do-? Strength and agi are the best for DPS, as one increases your burst(damage-per-hit), and the other increases your rate-of-attacks. Both increase your DPS, but peak agi+peak str will be gloriously beautiful for full damage builds. But then there's 'tanking,' which requires con/wil/agi(and maybe some strength, for wearing armor).

You can, in this codebase/with these skills, put dex/presence at 1. And I'd fully recommend it.
Toss intelligence in there too as a dump stat. Play the game hardmode with patience. Okay, I don't know if that really is the best course of action. But, your leftover stats are pretty impressive at least, and I'm experimenting with something similar currently.
Honestly, having peak str/high con+wil+agi and decent skills?, it's probably the equal of a master-level poorly-built combatant. Or even heroic, depending upon how shittily you build. It's hard to really equate, as skill represents your ability to deliver/avoid damage, but your attributes represent your ability to sustain damage, resist the effects, and how fast you attempt damage/how much you deal once you do.

MrT2G
Elf Recruit
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by MrT2G » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 pm

I imagine some people are reading these recent posts and chuckling to themselves.

:roll: :lol:
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.

User avatar
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:01 pm
Location: Brought to You Live, Via Sorcery

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by krelm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 pm

krelm wrote: And, presumably, but I've had some fairly long-lived characters on this codebase and none of them ever popped eavesdrop. You may have to ask someone who's had even longer-lived characters.
Celise, a 28 year old Survivor Female:


You have been playing for 24 days and 15 hours.
Eavesdrop: Beginner

I know for a fact I didn't pick eavesdrop in chargen on that character, so I guess that answers that question that someone asked like a week ago.
One among the fence.

User avatar
toofast
Elf Recruit
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by toofast » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:04 pm

I love the fact that everyone is able to talk about the code behind stats/skills, etc. so openly on the forums while helping new players and sharing ideas. On Arm, you'd get cracked down on hard.

User avatar
jdidds
Elf Recruit
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 am
Location: Somewhere over there

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by jdidds » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:54 am

toofast wrote:I love the fact that everyone is able to talk about the code behind stats/skills, etc. so openly on the forums while helping new players and sharing ideas. On Arm, you'd get cracked down on hard.
Yeah, you'd be slaugtered on the old SoI forums too :P I still feel a little pang of naughtiness and betrayal to the old SOI when I ask about code now.

Code: Select all

There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.

User avatar
jdidds
Elf Recruit
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 am
Location: Somewhere over there

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by jdidds » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:20 am

So, I'm getting the feel that you should max out some stats and keep others at 1 or 0? I'm thinking DPS.

Code: Select all

There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.

User avatar
WorkerDrone
Guide
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: From Dust

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by WorkerDrone » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:04 am

Agility caps out speed for rate of attacks on certain weapons pretty low. After a point having high agility stops being useful, though that's just for smaller weapons. Larger weapons actually seem to benefit from having high agility, but you suffer by dint of having only a set amount of points to spread out in your pool.

There's a number of builds, but only some stats have any great effect on items and their use. For weapons it'd be strength and agility. So one might think having high strength would be good for larger weapons, like greatswords, but it's actually high agility that's useful, since peak strength will only give you +1 to damage (ignoring the benefit to carrying capacity) but high agility might let you get in an extra attack every round, with the maximum and minimum damage value of two-handed weapons already rated fairly high on their own.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?
Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:

Matt
Ent Sapling
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:11 am

WorkerDrone wrote:Agility caps out speed for rate of attacks on certain weapons pretty low. After a point having high agility stops being useful, though that's just for smaller weapons. Larger weapons actually seem to benefit from having high agility, but you suffer by dint of having only a set amount of points to spread out in your pool.

There's a number of builds, but only some stats have any great effect on items and their use. For weapons it'd be strength and agility. So one might think having high strength would be good for larger weapons, like greatswords, but it's actually high agility that's useful, since peak strength will only give you +1 to damage (ignoring the benefit to carrying capacity) but high agility might let you get in an extra attack every round, with the maximum and minimum damage value of two-handed weapons already rated fairly high on their own.
I rolled epic agility on an orc and would usually hit about 6 times a round with knives. Would also never be down after falling for more then like .1 second.

User avatar
Throttle
Honored Elf
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:59 am
Contact:

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Throttle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:41 pm

I haven't ever noticed any significant difference in attack speed with agility and regular weapons. I never fought much with knives, but with real weapons you still pretty much trade blows on a 1:1 ratio whether you have average or great agility.

High agi might occasionally let you stagger the rhythm ever so slightly in your favor, causing you to squeeze in a second attack before your opponent's next, but there's certainly no such thing as getting "multiple attacks" in any real sense of the word with any amount of agility that's normally possible for a human character (i.e. not a bugged epic agi PC).

My current PC has great agi and consistently goes through an entire fight with a boar or similar animal without ever breaking the 1:1 rhythm. It was the same with the previous one at good agi, and has been more or less the same across all of my PCs on this codebase.
Last edited by Throttle on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!

User avatar
toofast
Elf Recruit
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by toofast » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Epic agi and small-blade. It's scary.

User avatar
Real
Elf Recruit
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Real » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Can you learn dual-wield ingame from beginner without learning sole-wield first or do you need to get sw up to a decent level beforehand like with first aid and medicine or hide and sneak?
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't

Matt
Ent Sapling
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:37 pm

No you can branch d-wield without sole-wield.

Foxtrot
Forum Hobbit
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:00 am

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Foxtrot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 am

Does Dalish count towards skill cap total?

User avatar
Throttle
Honored Elf
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:59 am
Contact:

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by Throttle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:16 am

It shouldn't. Neither does small-blade, incidentally.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!

tehkory
Master Ent
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Skills - What do they actually use?

Post by tehkory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:29 am

Throttle wrote:It shouldn't. Neither does small-blade, incidentally.
Small-blade "shouldn't," but in my experience does count towards your cap(or at least did as of end-of-Atonement). I had Staff coming around every week to 'fix' my skillcap, and by the end I had 0 Small-Blade.

Maybe they fixed it, though.

Post Reply