It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Learning (first-aid) by doing

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Learning (first-aid) by doing

Postby kestrel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:37 am

Out of curiosity, how does a PC learn the First-Aid skill by doing? It seems as though all the remedy objects are barred to those without the skill already in hand.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Re: Learning (first-aid) by doing

Postby Tiamat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:38 am

Without any crafts, I actually think First-Aid is one of the rare instances in which there is no "in" unless you have someone teach you.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby kestrel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 am

Tiamat wrote:Without any crafts, I actually think First-Aid is one of the rare instances in which there is no "in" unless you have someone teach you.

I vaguely remember someone commenting on the forums that "Teach" was broken, but I can't recall where or in what context. But if it's working, that's probably a better way to get the skill regardless. Thanks, Tiamat!
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:49 am

kestrel wrote:
Tiamat wrote:Without any crafts, I actually think First-Aid is one of the rare instances in which there is no "in" unless you have someone teach you.

I vaguely remember someone commenting on the forums that "Teach" was broken, but I can't recall where or in what context. But if it's working, that's probably a better way to get the skill regardless. Thanks, Tiamat!

Teach seemed to work okay for me, in that I could use it. It didn't succeed in that it seems the other person had the skill too.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:33 pm

The crappy bandages can be used unskilled, I think.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Erythil » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:49 pm

kestrel wrote:

I don't believe that teach is 'broken' so much as it's unlikely anyone has raised their skills to the point where the teach command can be used, yet. If my Atonement knowledge serves me right, you need at least Adroit before you can teach someone.
Erythil
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Erythil wrote:
kestrel wrote:

I don't believe that teach is 'broken' so much as it's unlikely anyone has raised their skills to the point where the teach command can be used, yet. If my Atonement knowledge serves me right, you need at least Adroit before you can teach someone.

You actually need to be a certain skill level above a person to teach them. I think if they're at familiar, you have to be at adroit or something to that end. If they don't even have the skill open, I believe you can teach them at familiar.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby kestrel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:11 pm

krelm wrote:The crappy bandages can be used unskilled, I think.

That's how it was in Atonement but it doesn't seem to be the case here. Or else I'm confusing the grimy bandages with an even poorer quality object.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:44 pm

I can confirm that doing first aid activities, such as binding wounds and such, /do/ raise the skill.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login