It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Skill Gain Notifications

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Skill Gain Notifications

Postby MarsGrad » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:46 pm

So, I was thinking... Would it be possible to make an echo that would inform you every once in awhile that 'you feel slightly more skilled' or something, after performing some action. Basically, so you can tell whether or not what you're doing is actually having any affect on your skills at all. I realize there's probably some concern about gaming the system, and I know the general idea is not to get too specific with how good you are at something, but in reality, if you're slaving away at a stove, trying to learn to cook, you're going to be able to tell that 'oh, flipping that egg felt a lot more natural this time.' Rather then burning a few dishes while managing to make a few, and then suddenly, one day while making an egg, you realize you've just taken one major leap forward and can probably whip up some creme brulee without much difficulty.

I... realize that analogy makes it sound like I'm talking about craft branching, but I'm not. Just about the skills involved.

Without being able to list the ins and outs of the system, I'm pretty sure I'm not totally wrong in assuming that each vague descriptor of how well you're doing is actually a group of ten or so 'levels.' So perhaps it could trigger every... I don't know, five levels? Something that's infrequent enough that you can't really reliably measure it, but often enough that you realize that your chosen method of practice is eventually going to pay off.
MarsGrad
Verified Member

Re: Skill Gain Notifications

Postby kingsfoil » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Just do what your character would do. If you're practicing a skill, it's raising. Fuhgeddaboudit.
kingsfoil
Verified Member

Postby MarsGrad » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:58 pm

If that's the case, then yeah, that's fine. However, there's a lot of information floating about saying you need to be fighting X many of Y enemies with Z types of weapons while standing on your head in order to gain skills once you hit a certain point.
MarsGrad
Verified Member

Postby Throttle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:07 pm

That was always exaggerated. Really, don't worry about it. If you ever get to the point where your skills are high enough for that to matter at all, you'll probably have figured out through experience how the whole thing works. Until then, you can pretty easily tell if your skills are going up in the long term because each level only represents 10 points. If you use a skill regularly, it should go up a level quickly enough to tell you if you're "doing it right."
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby BoogtehWoog » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:12 pm

What are the skill levels, by the way? I am only familiar with old SOI skill levels.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 pm

BoogtehWoog wrote:What are the skill levels, by the way? I am only familiar with old SOI skill levels.

The level of skill proficiency is designated in nine levels: Beginner,
Novice, Amateur, Familiar, Talented, Adroit, Master, Heroic and Legend.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Thank you, sir!
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:22 pm

I have raised 2 skills, popped another from zero and got it past beginner already, but....I can not for the life of me figure out how to raise hide. I thought maybe doing stuff while hidden, since it checks for whether you break concealment or not, but...doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Also does skinning stop raising Butchery at a certain level, or what?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 pm

As far as I recall, one of the only things that raise hide is actually using the hide command to hide yourself and items. This means that your hide skill generally increases slowly as you normally only hide before commencing sneaking, whereas the sneak skill is used everytime you sneak. This is my understanding based on the old system.

I have almost only played sneaky characters. It always took a long time to increase the hide skill. I usually rehide every few rooms and throw out an emote with something along the lines of emote adjusts his position, crouching low in the undergrowth. Or something to that effect. Readjust camouflage etc.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby kestrel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:59 pm

I think Hide without a PC or mob in the room won't do it.

I also think that low-level Hide isn't a big deal; as far as I know, it only affects how quickly your PC hides or how easily they're found using the Search command. (I could be wrong!)

But, yeah, Sneak is the really important skill of the two of them.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:18 pm

If you want to raise hide ambush things while hidden. Or hide in rooms and scare your friends. Boo!
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby kestrel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Matt wrote:If you want to raise hide ambush things while hidden.

Why did I never make that connection before? Thanks, Matt!
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby toofast » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:51 pm

Master hide allows you to disappear almost instantly... at that point, it gets to be more useful than sneak in some ways.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Get peak agi and high will and it's like you're a ninja. Ask Tepes or Bogre.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby kestrel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:28 pm

toofastnig wrote:Master hide allows you to disappear almost instantly... at that point, it gets to be more useful than sneak in some ways.

Wow, that's crazy. Well, I'm guessing very few PCs ever reach that point in this particular game.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:50 pm

kestrel wrote:Wow, that's crazy. Well, I'm guessing very few PCs ever reach that point in this particular game.

There's ten of us and we are watching you.

:twisted:
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:38 pm

kestrel wrote:
toofastnig wrote:Master hide allows you to disappear almost instantly... at that point, it gets to be more useful than sneak in some ways.

Wow, that's crazy. Well, I'm guessing very few PCs ever reach that point in this particular game.

It's actually really easy if you have the build to do it.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 am

Matt wrote:
kestrel wrote:

It's actually really easy if you have the build to do it.

Or are a certain admin in the old SoI who had 100 in hide (Ulfas anyone?) ;)
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:56 am

Do you have to fail for a chance to skill up, or is the chance just higher on a fail?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby kestrel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:05 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:Do you have to fail for a chance to skill up, or is the chance just higher on a fail?

I'm pretty sure you have to fail your roll, although how that manifests in-game may be complicated by other factors. Krelm or someone else who has actually looked at the code will correct me if I'm off.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:47 am

You don't have to fail it's just a better chance to up your skill.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:53 am

Thank you guys for all the answers here. :)
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:19 pm

How does one...learn to fish?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:48 pm

You get someone to teach you to beginner.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby MarcusSaint » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Hold on, are you saying that if I don't know how to SNEAK or HIDE, I can ask someone who KNOWS how to Sneak or Hide to teach me and I can learn?!?!
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login