It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:46 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Utterby

Utterby

Help with crafting process?

A place for Staff and players alike to use to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. No IC info, please.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Help with crafting process?

Postby Kayube » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 am

So I was wondering how I could find out the process for a certain set of crafts. I know about the materials function, of course, but that only shows what's needed for each individual craft, not what order to do the crafts in to actually make something useful. My character would probably know this stuff, but I don't. How can I find out?
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Re: Help with crafting process?

Postby tehkory » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Kayube wrote:So I was wondering how I could find out the process for a certain set of crafts. I know about the materials function, of course, but that only shows what's needed for each individual craft, not what order to do the crafts in to actually make something useful. My character would probably know this stuff, but I don't. How can I find out?

http://www.middle-earth.us/index.php/info/crafts/
There's a start. Otherwise:
EXAMINE allows you to see what crafts you can use any objects in. If you examine an unfinished piece and see none of the crafts you need, you need to branch it(you can cross-check that with the link above, luckily).
Like so:
Code: Select all
examine shift

It is a generically generic piece of unfinished armor.

You realize that you could make use of this item in the following craft:
'create finished-generic-armor'.

As said, if you don't see any relevant crafts, you need to branch 'em.

Here's where the ORIGIN command comes in: it allows you to see exactly what craft-suite a piece of armor(or anything else) comes from. Like so:
Code: Select all
origin leggings
You know of the following possible origins for a generically generic pair of generic leather leggings:

From the following craftsets:
   - armoring

We'll pretend you're discussing armor, but fill-in-the-blank for whatever items you're trying to make. The system to be able to make a competent crafter is pretty easy to screw-up and requires 2-4 crafts to be able to finish a useable piece of armor, between armorcrafting, leathercrafting, metalworking, and artistry. Could be you've not taken one of those, either through ignorance or mistake.

Hobbitmailing PCs with your craft suite(s) works too.

Otherwise, just keep making until you branch. Link above's useful as ever, assuming it's still up-to-date(I don't honestly know).

ADDENDUM:
You branch crafts(acquire a new craft) by using ones that actually test a skill, which you of course have figured out by using the 'materials' command. You branch armoring crafts with armoring crafts, and while cross-suite branching was possible in Atonement/Parallel, I'm not sure if it is here. You can tell if a craft tests a skill by the white(can raise your skill) or blue(can't raise your skill) skillchecks in the craft itself.
tehkory
Master Ent

Re: Help with crafting process?

Postby Frigga » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks for this helpful post, Tehkory. :)

If after using that wonderful walk through you are still lost, do feel free to drop a line to staff at hello@middle-earth.us, and I'll happily help you figure things out further.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Return to Utterby

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login