It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:28 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Utterby

Utterby

Sword/Axe/Staff hunting - Realism

A place for Staff and players alike to use to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. No IC info, please.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Sword/Axe/Staff hunting - Realism

Postby Rivean » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:38 am

As others have said, the objection is largely aimed people hacking at something that can outrun you in a blink and is more inclined to do so than your standard wolf or bear, like, for example, a deer.

ETA: In response to your last question, I think this is more of an issue now that all sorts of players are now pushed into a very narrow space together. So now you've got all the combat types, and all the hunter types, and all the social types and the whole lot in one small cooking pot. It's no wonder then that the mutual incompatibilities are going to be more grating.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:53 am

Rivean wrote:As others have said, the objection is largely aimed people hacking at something that can outrun you in a blink and is more inclined to do so than your standard wolf or bear, like, for example, a deer.

And getting an essentially undamaged, full-value hide or pelt from it afterward. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Hazgarn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 am

This probably wouldn't ever happen, but one possible way of challenging the code-related problem would be with a code-related response. I don't know if it's possible to adjust the weaknesses of wildlife to be weaker to certain types of weapons, but if you could that might reflect the fact that some weapons (ranged, polearms) are just better suited for hunting.

(Of course, like I said, this would probably never happen, because it would unfairly favor people who, like me, took Polearm to avoid this exact bit of nonsense in the first place... :lol: )
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby jimhabegger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:00 am

Considering the conflicts of interests involved, I'm very impressed with the quality of the discussion here.

I imagine that as long as a discussion like this continues to remain civil, it will interest the administrators, and might help them improve the game for everyone.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:07 am

tehkory wrote:There's a part of the code from Atonement where rats couldn't be attacked unless you ambushed them. It'd be nice to see this added to smallgame.

I like this idea too, by the way.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby kestrel » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:35 am

If the code encourages undesirable behavior, then plainly the solution lies in modifying the code till it produces the desired results.

I think that's sort of the elephant in the room. The code used by SOI is supposedly time-consuming to modify (or more specifically, time-consuming to troubleshoot after modifying). The last time I tried to tackle maintaining legacy code written in C I ended up sobbing in a corner, so I can empathize.

(I know FutureMUD is still in ALPHA and isn't ready for consumption yet, and I'm guessing that SOI won't be interested in transferring once it's released, but I've always secretly been holding out hope that a quality RPI takes the plunge at some point.)

Anyway, all that aside, one of the big unanswered questions for me is how much flexibility staff will have when it comes to implementing new code. That's worth considering when we talk about hard-coded solutions to problems. (Which is ironic, considering that finding hard-coded solutions was one of Kithrater's driving goals to begin with.)
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hazgarn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:21 am

I don't think anyone is meaning to imply that a code change would be a simple fix, merely pointing out various angles of approaching the problem if the staff should ever choose to.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 am

I think it's unrealistic for injured people to run away from a wolf. So if a wolf bites you, you have to fight to the death. Could code in something like, 'you try to run from the wolf but it's an animal and faster than you since you don't have Peak agility, so suck it'.

If an actual animal mobile walks into your room, it's such a small representation of the vNPC wildlife that should be all over, that I don't really care if they cave a rabbit's skull in with a war hammer. It was one of the dumb animals that walked right up to them for some reason.

I have no problem with the RP involved, I have more of a problem, again, with the mechanics of patrol groups going out, 12 people hacking a dozen wolves to death, and somehow managing to use those pelts. It removes the need for groups like the Guard to employ hunters.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Jme » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:54 am

Think there could be some code written for PCs to require high agi to catch up to the creature or something... Don't really see a problem exploiting code vs wildlife - so long as it's not over the top or effecting other players.
Have a Jmetastic day.

SOI CHARACTER APPRECIATION THREAD:
http://www.middle-earth.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1131&p=13525
Jme
Forum Hobbit

Postby Mannfreid » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:54 am

I completely agree with OP.

Things like rabbits, and Deer SHOULD run from you if you go at them with a spear. That's why there's sneak, and guarding exits.

We have everything IN GAME ALREADY to make this realistic. Bottleneck the deer, sneak up, stab it. It'll try to run away, and you try to block it.

The code is probably already in the game too. The rats in PRPI would run if they took damage, or you tried to attack them, and they spotted you.

This code should be in game, if not.

Sneakign and hiding are hunting skills. It's why they are in game. It's not something as arbitrary as taking a dump. It adds to the feel, and it adds to RP.
Mannfreid
Verified Member

Postby Jme » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 pm

One thing I've noticed is that, rabbits and deer tend to be able to flee faster than other wildlife, almost to the point of just-after attacking them.

Think this is reasonable to make up for the face you can attack them - though maybe they should make it so that you must be hidden and pass an ambush roll to determine if you're able to sneak up and attack it easily.
Have a Jmetastic day.

SOI CHARACTER APPRECIATION THREAD:
http://www.middle-earth.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1131&p=13525
Jme
Forum Hobbit

Sword/Axe/Staff hunting Realism

Postby DJPt » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:33 am

Its the way they do it so let them get on with it. Although the pig appeared to die fairly quickly once theyve caught up with it im just not a fan of hunting with dogs because of the stress caused before the kill. Advertising/making videos of this sort of hunting doesnt do anyone any favours IMHO
DJPt

Postby Freon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello, everyone.

I've been gone a while and I don't think I'll have the time to make a comeback but I would like to log in and play from time to time.

IMHO; we can just practice good roleplay. Define what kind of hunter you are and whether you're after just the meat, just the pelts, or both.

You could be hunting for subsistence.
You could be trapping furs.
You could be guiding a party of noblemen and your liege lord through the woods to hunt game for sport and to put food on the lord's table.

The code only limits us so much but our imaginations are limitless.

Maybe if we realize that just because we can do it(code) it doesn't mean we should (good roleplay)

Also, sorry for the necro.
Freon
Forum Hobbit

Previous

Return to Utterby

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login