It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:08 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Crafts and Hiding

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Crafts and Hiding

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:11 am

There are a number of crafts that you can do from hiding that I don't believe should function that way. Just as using the forage command breaks you out of hiding, so too should doing many crafts that currently don't. For instance, if you're using the craft to harvest tree fruits or what have you, is that really something that you're going to stay hidden while doing? You can currently cut down a tree while remaining hidden as well. I don't think you can smash an axe into a tree trunk multiple times causing a large tree to come crashing down and remain "hidden".

Is there a way to add in something that will break you out of hiding for most crafts? I'm having a hard time thinking of any crafts you would perform while hiding actually, from blacksmithing, sewing, to the outdoor ones.
Brian
Honored Elf

Re: Crafts and Hiding

Postby radioactivejesus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:31 am

it is definitely codedly possible, as the bog-ore gathering craft breaks hide. I wouldn't be opposed to it being made so that any sort of craft will un-hide you
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Dirgs » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:29 pm

I can imagine a few crafts would be okay to stay hidden - scouting for strawberries, that kind of stuff. But chopping trees? Silliness..
Dirgs
Forum Hobbit

Postby Onasaki » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Chopping trees are as follows: It's a copse. That's a tight group of small trees. Realistically, you could technically say by hiding, you're standing on the far side of the trees, allowing you to break the line of fire, if someone's shooting at you.

But yeah, I wouldn't opposed to making all crafts break hide.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Onasaki wrote:Chopping trees are as follows: It's a copse. That's a tight group of small trees. Realistically, you could technically say by hiding, you're standing on the far side of the trees, allowing you to break the line of fire, if someone's shooting at you.

If that's the case then you should still be able to use the cover command but not the hide command. Cover defines putting something between you and a ranged assailant, hide defines not being detected. The sound of the axe would give you away and ruin your hiding, even if you had a tree between you and an observer.

Even then, I think it's a pretty flimsy defence of the situation :p
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby AdamBlue » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Most crafts shouldn't break hide. Collecting feathers shouldn't break hide. Foraging for bog iron shouldn't break hide, but it's there for balance reasons. Starting a fire should. Anything -loud- should break hide, but anything quiet shouldn't break hide. Anything involving light should break hide. But picking mushrooms, scouting for mushrooms, collecting leaves or feathers or anything of that regard should not break hide.
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Onasaki wrote:Chopping trees are as follows: It's a copse. That's a tight group of small trees. Realistically, you could technically say by hiding, you're standing on the far side of the trees, allowing you to break the line of fire, if someone's shooting at you.

"Following seven dozen loud smacks, that tree just fell down."

"I know."

"Isn't nature wonderful?"
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login