It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:32 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Metal armor/metal quality

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Metal armor/metal quality

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:17 pm

It is a worn rough iron mail hauberk.

It will cover the torso, upper-arms, neck and lower-arms,
and partially cover the upper-legs.

It is rather worn. It is beyond any repair. It has a minor gouge, a
minor gouge, and a minor gouge.

3 minor damage damages put this refined iron hauberk to worn... seems pretty wrong. Without the deflect bonuses being a perk of putting all the effort into getting something like this... it's pretty pointless it seems. The going IG price for just the ore alone with no material loss or the timers counted in is 576. Can this please be looked at? Right now the only perk I see to it is just a few pounds lighter. Compared to an oiled gambeson which is really not that mat heavy or timer heavy it's pretty bad. This really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Can we please have someone look at how what materials used change metal armor? Also can oiled leathers be nerfed? Someone in full leather armor shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with someone in maille, even if it's 'high end' leather gear. There's just way to many perks to it versus maille. Same defense, it's lighter, and you get stealth boosts vs losing stealth points with maille.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Re: Metal armor/metal quality

Postby Melkor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:33 pm

In another thread, one of the admins said that the oiled leathers that are in game are ordinary quality. The metal armor that is in game is only trash and poor quality. Ordinary quality metal armor hasn't gone in yet. But I do agree that three minors should not make that piece worn.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:04 pm

The best armor IG should never be a set of leathers.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Melkor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Someone in another thread also said that the crafts for oiled leather require metal ingots and the echoes imply that at least the gambeson has metal plates inside. I'm sure the ordinary quality metal armor will be more protective than oiled leather, just have to give them time to release it.

But I agree as well. It would've been nice to get all of the ordinary armor at once.

edit: does the piece of armor in question say that it is shoddy or made by the hand of a novice? If so, that's why it's hp is so low.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Hopefully this is being looked at in the work Icarus and Grommit are doing;there's a thread in general discussion about observations on current Arms and armor, it'd be a good idea to put your observations there.

Totally agree though that except for trash quality metal armor, metal armor should always be more protective than leather armor. Leather armor should have the advantages in weight and stealth but not raw protective capability.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:10 pm

Its middling quality. But its also almost 100 ore or 4x the regular bog iron. This isnt just oiled vs maille I'm talking about but also material cost vs perks.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:19 pm

We are indeed looking over these.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Melkor wrote:Someone in another thread also said that the crafts for oiled leather require metal ingots and the echoes imply that at least the gambeson has metal plates inside.

Oiled leather armour is not brigandine. It's just leather armour. The only metal needed to make it is for the buckles.

And yea, it really is time for poor quality chainmail to become craftable. There's nothing about it that would mess up the game balance, and the finished items already exist.

Also, the deflect bonuses from armour really should be made to work properly. Otherwise the really cool system where quality materials and skilled craftsmen make for better armour is basically meaningless. No one's going to buy the exceptionally crafted refined iron helmet from the neighborhood master smith when the only difference between that and a shoddy pitted-bog-iron helm is about .2lbs of weight
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:47 pm

speaking of brigandine and things like it.. Perhaps trash or poor quality scale armour could be introduced into the game soon, to give more diversity to armour types and make weapon selection less of a no-brainer
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Bump. :(
Matt
Ent Sapling

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login