It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:42 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Riveted Coifs

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Riveted Coifs

Postby Droll » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:06 pm

These need to go the way of the old coifs and get replaced by a new type of helm. They have no eye protection.

<*** / ^^^^^^ / |||||| / DELAY:0 PD:0 SD:0>
It is a pitted-bog-iron, riveted, mail coif.

It will cover the head, and partially cover the neck.

In the meantime, I recommend that no one give their grunts shiny new coifs.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Re: Riveted Coifs

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:18 pm

This is a coif.

As you can see, not really covering the eyes. The helmets that have partial eye coverage are usually described as having a nose guard, cheek guards, something that extends to the face.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Droll » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:38 pm

I never would have guessed what a coif is. I feel enlightened.

This is the rough set of mail:
Chausses, Gauntlets, Hauberk, Helm.

This is riveted:
Chausses, Gauntlets, Hauberk, Coif.

We used to have rough coifs and spangehelms. Now all we have is the helm. They got taken out of the game, presumably because of the staggeringly high amount of players that needed eye patches/died.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Brian wrote:This is a coif.

As you can see, not really covering the eyes. The helmets that have partial eye coverage are usually described as having a nose guard, cheek guards, something that extends to the face.

What Droll is probably trying to say, is that due to a lack of eye protection, the riveted coifs are very risky choices and not better than spangenhelms, which they should be a direct improvement over.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Real » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:22 pm

I've been two-shotted by a boar from six stars because of lack of eye protection. Took a horrific and then a mod. Anything that doesn't cover the eyes is unreliable and not worth buying/crafting, 90% of the time you're fine and then when it counts you take a grievous from a common mob, or a terrible from a tough one and die/spend days in triage.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Telchar » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:47 am

A couple of new helms will be in soon - these coifs were not exactly meant to be improvement over the spangenhelm - a helm is a helm, coif is a coif !!

Meanwhile - the good old spangenhelm seems to be serving well, isn't it?
Telchar
Roleplay Admin

Postby Droll » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:45 am

Telchar wrote:A couple of new helms will be in soon - these coifs were not exactly meant to be improvement over the spangenhelm - a helm is a helm, coif is a coif !!

Ok cool. That covers all our worries. You're my hero.
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:21 am

Telchar wrote:A couple of new helms will be in soon - these coifs were not exactly meant to be improvement over the spangenhelm - a helm is a helm, coif is a coif !!

awesome news. Looking forwards to the new helms.
Have you ever considered adding layering for the riveted coifs, so that they could be made wearable underneath a helmet? This was a very common practice for soldiers back in the middle ages, and if I understand the code right, layering armour grants a flat +1 AC, right? (of course, this isn't overly necessary. Just throwing out ideas)
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Ceredir » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:15 am

ETA: We were discussing layering helmets the other day, but it kinda fell under the table. I'll bring it up again, as I personally do like the idea.
I don't always test my code.
But when I do I do it on the player port.
Ceredir
Journeyman Architect

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login