It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:17 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Crafting Additions

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Crafting Additions

Postby Nailah » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm limited in what I can do on the BP today, as I can only make crafts that include existing objects.

Stonecrafting
chisel stone-chest

The rest of today is for planning, notepad crafting, and fixes/quality control.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Taurgalas » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:12 am

Added butcher knife and butcher knife blade crafts and objects - visible to blacksmiths as of next reboot.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Nailah » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:10 am

Butchery is a long and arduous process, let me tell you. Meat is a finicky creature on the BP.

That said, this is what is in so far. Thank you to Taurgalas for providing the knife add. You will only be able to use these crafts with said butcher knife. This is deliberate. I also will not add this knife to most other crafts, because like weaponry, you don't want to dull this particular meat blade or use it on other things. Crafters should probably get on trying to branch those knives, because they will be popular.

This is the base implementation stage. There is no cooking for these objects yet. I'm also going to go through and start the long process of adjusting the carcass yields for hunks. There was a mistake in the values set per lb. which needs to be corrected, hence the state of meat swamp IG right now. There is also a new $beastmeat variable that is getting moved to things.

Butchering:
20 new items gained via butchering crafts, including new variable types.
butcher gamebird-carcass
butcher venison-carcass
butcher boar-carcass
butcher bear-carcass
butcher warg-carcass
butcher wolf-carcass
butcher bear-backstrap
butcher venison-backstrap
butcher bear-haunch
butcher venison-haunch
butcher boar-fatstrap

Again, as stated above, this is still a work in progress, be patient. I tried to be informative with the object yield descs, as well, letting you know what can be done with each.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Frigga » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 pm

To go with Nailah's glorious new butchering crafts above - I made the first cooking craft that utilizes a product from them. :D

prepare fishermans-brewis

What is brewis you ask?

This is a serving of brewis - a mix of chopped fish, cram, potatoes, and onions, all mixed and coated with greasy, fried pork cracklings. The perfect sup for a fisherman on long shore duty or any other hungry workman looking for a simple, but hearty and satisfying meal.

Yum.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Saellyn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 am

Frigga wrote:To go with Nailah's glorious new butchering crafts above - I made the first cooking craft that utilizes a product from them. :D

prepare fishermans-brewis

What is brewis you ask?

This is a serving of brewis - a mix of chopped fish, cram, potatoes, and onions, all mixed and coated with greasy, fried pork cracklings. The perfect sup for a fisherman on long shore duty or any other hungry workman looking for a simple, but hearty and satisfying meal.

Yum.

What kind of restaurant would I need to go to for that? It sounds DELICIOUS!
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 am

Saellyn wrote:What kind of restaurant would I need to go to for that? It sounds DELICIOUS!

Georgie's Restaurant
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Onasaki » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:58 pm

EltanimRas wrote:
Saellyn wrote:What kind of restaurant would I need to go to for that? It sounds DELICIOUS!

Georgie's Restaurant

It's also called Fisherman's Breakfast. It's really good.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Justanothacivy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Icarus wrote:Have we mentioned this thread is announcements only, not discussion?
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby Frigga » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:10 am

render smoky-lard

Produces dry-rendered lard to use as an alternative to gamebird fat in cooking crafts. All gamebird fat cooking crafts have been updated to utilize this.

Also produces tasty fried pork cracklings.

render lard-jar

Produces a jar of wet-rendered lard for future crafting purposes (including baking.)

Produces tasty crumbled pork cracklings.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Icarus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:54 pm

1. The lumbermill now has a waterwheel (outside) and a lumbermill (inside) -- these will be used in the near future for better crafts.

2. Weaponcrafting has been audited. Many defunct objects were removed. The set should be good now. You will note that components are housed in a different set, so you can't branch through using weapon bands. Also, weapon bands are now tool bands.

3. Coopering has had storage barrels and liquid barrels added to it. It's also fixed so it doesn't require insane skillchecks. It generally now works as intended.

4. Archery. Metal-tipped arrows now produce 1 each go around, but have a smaller timer.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nailah » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Slowly but surely...

Cooking:

fry meat-tuber-hash (stew meat stopgap use)
fry gamebird-pieces
roast plain-roast
grill plain-steak
grill plain-chop
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:06 pm

And because I got tired of looking at e-food and e-meat...

Textilecraft:
sew work-apron
sew plain-bodice
sew plain-blouse
sew plain-skirt
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:45 am

Combined into $butchermeat variables and adjusted crafts again. Meat sucks.

Cooking:
grill plain-ribs

Orc-Cooking:
roast beastmeat-haunch
grill beastmeat-steak

Butchering:
chop stew-meat
chop orc-stew-meat
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:24 pm

armoring

simple-shield added.
shield-boss added

Also all useless crafts for making weapons have been removed

Utility knives now use the common tool haft.

Fletching has been revamped so you can't twink your skills up quite as easily using it.

Other shield stuff has been added to armoring.

Yah.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Shields were weaponcrafting before and I think it should probably stay that way.

1. It uses woodcraft skills which is already a good skill to have for weapons. Armorers really don't work wood.

2. Armorers have 4 different pieces of armor to sell to per person, would be 5 with shield. Weaponsmiths get just a weapon, with shields a possible 2 items per person.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Frigga » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Two new foraging crafts:

scout field-garlic-patch and gather field-garlic

Indeed, this is even winter-time friendly, so - go out and find that garlic. As such, the products of field-garlic have been added as an alternative in places where leeks are currently used.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Mmm garlic.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Frigga » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Scout black-truffle-growth and gather black-truffle are now a thing go seek them out.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Frigga » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Chop meat-extras is a new craft that allows you to chop up any offal, clean intestines, or boar bellies into usable hunks of meat.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby MrDvAnt » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:29 am

I posted this in the wrong thread last time.

Lutes
Flutes
Drums
Pipes
Harps
All added to woodcraft and music.

Fur rugs added to leathercrafts. More to come soon.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Taurgalas » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:52 pm

So to join up with a lot of building, there's been a lot of craft adding that I've slacked a little on mentioning.

Weaving - yes, although farming for them isn't in yet, you can now spin thread and yarn from nettles and wool. The lodge has a spinning wheel, hand spindles for thread alone are available. Birch-bark-cast is in for medicine and a ton of fixes to various foodcrafts have gone in as well.

The Lodge Farmer is now selling - so look for your bags of grain and flour there. The lumber purchaser now has a wagon outside of the gates, so it's nowhere near as far to lug your logs and the foremen in the lodge have access through the mill to get to that wagon. Not exactly crafts, but craft-related. Also there is a board in the Lodge shop now, so people can post specific orders for crafters and be able to obtain the goods they want - skirts? Tunics? Spoons? Boots? Whatever from the different crafting branches without having to necessarily meet face-to-face, in case time zones conflict.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Roheline » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Just a heads-up from my own real life experience, the output from a spinning wheel vs a hand spindle should be the same - it's the exact same process of adding twist to combed fiber, just the spinning wheel is more mechanized and efficient. The only difference should be that it takes at least twice as long (perhaps 3 times as long?) to produce the same amount of yarn from the spindle as the spinning wheel.

If anything, making yarn should be the easier craft, as it is bulkier and more forgiving, and can be done with a wider variety of materials. Making thread requires much finer spinning as well as different plying techniques to give it the required durability.

Though I am very excited to see textile crafts start to go live!
Roheline
Verified Member

Postby Taurgalas » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:34 am

That is understood, however in the time span we are talking about as our basis for crafting, spinning wheels are new and only useful for the softer ply, such as yarn vs thread. A lot of research on this was done, so please don't compare gameplay to modern availabilities and remember that decisions are made with an eye towards game balance.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Frigga » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Updates here have mostly been through the newsletters, but as an update - bacon and groenngalti (Rhovanion pancetta ;)) are now a thing - go eat some.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Ceredir » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Live on next reboot, a new general-cooking craft will be available for wargs: rip raw-carcass. This craft will allow you to turn corpses into edible carcasses, so you will be actually able to eat your kills while out on a hunt. You will also be able to leave half-eaten carcasses behind for people to find. ;)

Two oddities with this craft:
If you try to perform it on a non-animal corpse, you will fail, but only after the delay has ran its course. The corpse will not get consumed in this case. Since the first message tells you which corpse you've targeted, I'd suggest using STOP if you realize you've accidentally targeted a human corpse.
The materials list for the craft will look a little odd (ie, it says it doesn't consume the corpse. It does, as long as it is an animal corpse.)
I don't always test my code.
But when I do I do it on the player port.
Ceredir
Journeyman Architect

PreviousNext

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login