It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:39 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Crafting Requests

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Dirgs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Remember when shields not only blocked arrows, but also blocked blows properly and gave your arm blunt damage when you blocked a really bad blow? However, we're derailing the thread...

I do agree that shield crafting could use some loving.
Dirgs
Forum Hobbit

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:17 pm

I am much less concerned with any bonus that is given to the shield and far more concerned with the amount of hitpoints it has. Your shield should not be worn after one short fight.

Sorry Brian, playability trumps realism, in this case, in my opinion. We should not have to carry mending kits or multiple shields with us out on patrols.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby LadyMizra » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Bone armor! Totally want this. Maybe an artistry only thing? Since you would need to know bonecrafting. But this would be so much fun.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Blayneburner » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Melkor wrote:I am much less concerned with any bonus that is given to the shield and far more concerned with the amount of hitpoints it has. Your shield should not be worn after one short fight.

Sorry Brian, playability trumps realism, in this case, in my opinion. We should not have to carry mending kits or multiple shields with us out on patrols.

Especially so if the shield is made primarly of metal with just a little wood and leather.
Blayneburner
Verified Member

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Blayneburner wrote:
Melkor wrote:I am much less concerned with any bonus that is given to the shield and far more concerned with the amount of hitpoints it has. Your shield should not be worn after one short fight.

Especially so if the shield is made primarly of metal with just a little wood and leather.

Do we have shields that are primarily made of metal? I'm pretty sure we don't as I thought it was also decided to do away with the non-historical (outside of bucklers) metal shields?
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:25 pm

I don't think so. Pretty sure all the shields are primarily wood. Just to clarify, I agree with you, Brian, I just think playability trumps the realism here.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby radioactivejesus » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:27 am

Melkor wrote:I don't think so. Pretty sure all the shields are primarily wood. Just to clarify, I agree with you, Brian, I just think playability trumps the realism here.

I've never ran into this problem, and everyone I've seen have always had their shields hold up fine in combat, rarely going past the worn stage unless in the roughest battles imaginable. It's possible that the wood used to make a shield has an impact on it's durability. Try getting one made from ironwood or oak
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby mongwen » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Might also depend on how old the shield is. That certainly happens with weapons where a piece just flat wears out over time no matter how you try to keep it up.
Third the shield crafting loving. Personally I think it's high time for some better craftable gear anyway.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Grommit » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Melkor wrote:I don't think so. Pretty sure all the shields are primarily wood. Just to clarify, I agree with you, Brian, I just think playability trumps the realism here.

Brian wrote:Do we have shields that are primarily made of metal? I'm pretty sure we don't as I thought it was also decided to do away with the non-historical (outside of bucklers) metal shields?

If historically infantry used shields of wood with metal bosses, yet it seems realistic that also pieces would be flying off of them, what is the non-historical part we're engaged in that leads us to this problem? Do our shields take many more hits per "patrol" than an infantryman's would in historical reality? Would you normally be able to pick up a vNPC's shield and keep going if yours was split?
Grommit
Game Coder

Postby radioactivejesus » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:11 pm

Grommit wrote:

Brian wrote:Do we have shields that are primarily made of metal? I'm pretty sure we don't as I thought it was also decided to do away with the non-historical (outside of bucklers) metal shields?

If historically infantry used shields of wood with metal bosses, yet it seems realistic that also pieces would be flying off of them, what is the non-historical part we're engaged in that leads us to this problem? Do our shields take many more hits per "patrol" than an infantryman's would in historical reality? Would you normally be able to pick up a vNPC's shield and keep going if yours was split?

I think the current health value of lower-end shields is just fine. They're not described as being impervious hunks of matter. However, something that desperately needs a coders attention is the fact that shields are unable to block arrows
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Blayneburner » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:05 pm

After talking to Nimrod the Breakdown weapon-blade is an older craft.
Can we see this updated to use it would come in really handy. Also I would like to suggest the crafts to support shodding staves for those that would be likely to use it. I.E. cast end-metal-caps, Assemble metalshod-staff

Thanks again for all your work guys!
Blayneburner
Verified Member

Postby tehkory » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:04 pm

Code: Select all
   It is an artist's engraving kit.

This tool has 20 uses remaining, requires at least a  Novice
Artitry skill to use, can be used more ingeniously until a  Master
Artistry level.
   It can decorate items of the following material type/s: Metal
Mineral Stone Wood Gemstone.

Currently this is what all our decorating kits are, which removes the ability for two things:
First, 'learning-by-doing' decorating is out.
Second, 'any old idiot doing a crappy decoration' is out.

With that in mind, can we have cheap-o decorating kits that look like this:
Code: Select all
It is a crappy artist's engraving kit.

This tool has 5 uses remaining, requires at least no artistry skill to use, can be used more ingeniously until a  Beginner
Artistry level.
   It can decorate items of the following material type/s: Metal
Mineral Stone Wood Gemstone.

so that we can have incredibly poor decorations again, for cheaper?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:51 pm

is it possible to get keyrings/leather key-thongs added ingame again?
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Nezerin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:37 am

Would it be possible to get a craft to stack like arrows together? Right now if you want to sell them in a shop you end up spamming the shop with single arrows.
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:09 pm

Nezerin wrote:Would it be possible to get a craft to stack like arrows together? Right now if you want to sell them in a shop you end up spamming the shop with single arrows.

could be tricky, due to most arrows having all sorts of different variables.
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Nezerin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:01 am

radioactivejesus wrote:
Nezerin wrote:Would it be possible to get a craft to stack like arrows together? Right now if you want to sell them in a shop you end up spamming the shop with single arrows.

could be tricky, due to most arrows having all sorts of different variables.

Even if they have to be identical it should be an improvement. If it was possible for wood type (like cherry or oak) and fletching type to not matter it would be amazing. The things that actually affect the arrow quality would need to stay the same, like balanced, straight, and arrow head type.
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icarus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:28 am

We could remove the wood variable from them, since it really doesn't matter.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:39 am

yep. Nobody cares about the wood-type and feather-type variables. Still though, the type of head and straightness of the shaft is super important
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:50 am

Will discuss topside
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby MrT2G » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:52 pm

Could

'a ragged patchwork loincloth'

and

'a ragged patchwork tunic'

be added to the mats for the 'tear cloth-bandages' craft?
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:40 pm

MrT2G wrote:Could

and

Aren't those leather, IIRC? And rotting leather, ontop of that? Not exactly cloth, certainly.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby MrT2G » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:55 am

tehkory wrote:
MrT2G wrote:Could

and

Aren't those leather, IIRC? And rotting leather, ontop of that? Not exactly cloth, certainly.

l tunic
This tunic is a patchwork of various materials, sewn hastily together to vaguely resemble a piece of clothing which drapes over the wearer's top-half without much protection to their sides. It is predominantly brown in color, and the bottom edges are shredded.

It has an overpowering stink of musty. It is in good condition.

<** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
l loin
This ragged heap of clothes looks to be a filthy loincloth, composed of many scrap materials ranging from cloth to rotting hide. It has been bundled at the top with a thin strand of string and nothing more. It doesn't look to serve much in the way of protection or warmth.

It has an overpowering stink of musty. It is in good condition.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Previous

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login