It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:34 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Crafting Requests

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Onasaki » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Pauldrons. Leather. Metal.

Some of us love the idea of single-pauldron awesome. Some like two pauldrons. Some don't like any pauldrons, because it takes up a wearloc for a bag, or a weapon.

Leave it up to the players to decide. But I think making pauldrons should be a thing.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell


Image
User avatar
Onasaki
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm
Location: Everywhere.

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby AdamBlue » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Onasaki wrote:Pauldrons. Leather. Metal.

Some of us love the idea of single-pauldron awesome. Some like two pauldrons. Some don't like any pauldrons, because it takes up a wearloc for a bag, or a weapon.

Leave it up to the players to decide. But I think making pauldrons should be a thing.


Pauldrons are pretty sick. They boost deflect and take up a shoulder slot that could be used for bags. So it's either bags or a bit of extra deflect + AWESOME FACTOR.
Pauldrons freakin' rule. Seriously. They are so goddamn cool looking, are you kidding me?
User avatar
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby cfelch » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:11 pm

AdamBlue wrote:
Onasaki wrote:Pauldrons. Leather. Metal.

Some of us love the idea of single-pauldron awesome. Some like two pauldrons. Some don't like any pauldrons, because it takes up a wearloc for a bag, or a weapon.

Leave it up to the players to decide. But I think making pauldrons should be a thing.


Pauldrons are pretty sick. They boost deflect and take up a shoulder slot that could be used for bags. So it's either bags or a bit of extra deflect + AWESOME FACTOR.
Pauldrons freakin' rule. Seriously. They are so goddamn cool looking, are you kidding me?


I thought staff had decided to steer us away from platemail.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Onasaki » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 pm

cfelch wrote:
AdamBlue wrote:
Onasaki wrote:Pauldrons. Leather. Metal.

Some of us love the idea of single-pauldron awesome. Some like two pauldrons. Some don't like any pauldrons, because it takes up a wearloc for a bag, or a weapon.

Leave it up to the players to decide. But I think making pauldrons should be a thing.


Pauldrons are pretty sick. They boost deflect and take up a shoulder slot that could be used for bags. So it's either bags or a bit of extra deflect + AWESOME FACTOR.
Pauldrons freakin' rule. Seriously. They are so goddamn cool looking, are you kidding me?


I thought staff had decided to steer us away from platemail.


Not sure where you got that idea, dude. Just because platemail isn't ingame doesn't mean it won't be. They just didn't do it because of how small Alpha is.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell


Image
User avatar
Onasaki
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm
Location: Everywhere.

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby cfelch » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:38 pm

I got the idea from here.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:22 am

That was an admin. Admins never commented on whether or not we'd get plate armor in the future or not. Technically a pauldron wouldn't be 'platemail' in that respect, it'd just be a pauldron. They're separate items.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell


Image
User avatar
Onasaki
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm
Location: Everywhere.

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Frigga » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 am

No, we aren't going to be returning to full suits of platemail. Which is less to do with Alpha and more to do with platemail in the tin-can full metal plate form we saw in the past is very non canonical in which mail is clearly expressed to be the standard armor type.

I also used to be produced at kind if silly speeds and weight amusing low amounts.

As for individual pieces, that has potential in the future. You could have cool non-metal pauldrons though.
User avatar
Frigga
The Ice Queen
 
Posts: 2564
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby cfelch » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Frigga wrote: You could have cool non-metal pauldrons though.


I see nothing in my research that would suggest a leather pauldron was ever intended to see battle.

Yes, you can buy them now, but they look like nothing more then a cheap mock-up of actual plate.
A display piece if you will.
Good for LARPing and costumes.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby cfelch » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:05 am

More throughput in woodcrafting.

Blocks in specific seem to me very large or very small depending.
I view them as actual cross sections of the log, then wonder why so much of it seems to go to waste in crafting.
It like to see us be able to further pare down blocks into disks and short staves, get long staves from the planks (we have these already, but they are barrel staves instead of generic).

Disks can be used for small wheels and plates/platters (hopefully the cooks plating their own concoctions will need to use them).

Staves of various lengths could be the base product needed for hilts, handles, table legs. Instead of using blocks and planks directly with such dismal output.

Staves would have 3 lengths, long, medium and short.
Breaking one of the larger variety would make two of the next size down.
Small staves could be pared down into sticks.
Sticks could be used to make dowels and arrows.

(Side effect here, if someone is actually willing to go through all the throughput, they could get a lot more firewood/arrows per log, at the expense of their craft timer.)

I would love to see crafts for destroying a held piece of wooden furniture, and have it create staves, sticks, scraps and maybe some bent nails if appropriate.

I would also love to see a lot of the smaller finished wooden pieces count as firewood without having to use 'scrap wooden-items'.
The only reason you would take the time to smash them first is to make it small enough to fit into the stove, and most of these are already small enough.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby radioactivejesus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:36 am

cfelch wrote:I would also love to see a lot of the smaller finished wooden pieces count as firewood without having to use 'scrap wooden-items'.

one issue I see with this idea is Bob McFrontiersman bringing some firewood into his kitchen so he can do some cooking, and since crafts will pull the first usable item in the room, he'll end up incinerating his spatula and the set of wooden cups he just bought and left lying around rather than the firewood he intended. The scrap wooden-items craft makes it so that anything you burn will be deliberate
cfelch wrote:I would love to see crafts for destroying a held piece of wooden furniture, and have it create staves, sticks, scraps and maybe some bent nails if appropriate.

this however, would be fairly handy.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby cfelch » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:34 am

radioactivejesus wrote:
cfelch wrote:I would also love to see a lot of the smaller finished wooden pieces count as firewood without having to use 'scrap wooden-items'.

one issue I see with this idea is Bob McFrontiersman bringing some firewood into his kitchen so he can do some cooking, and since crafts will pull the first usable item in the room, he'll end up incinerating his spatula and the set of wooden cups he just bought and left lying around rather than the firewood he intended. The scrap wooden-items craft makes it so that anything you burn will be deliberate

Simple solution:
Held (Consumed): burnable object
So long as fire crafts require flint and tinder and the object to burn both in hand, there can be no 'mistakes'.
Just give a delay between the first messaging and the actual consumption during crafting, to give folks a chance to drop the item if the are trying to light the fire with their tankard of ale.
Item not in hand, the craft attempt fails.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Tykanis » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Some more butchering crafts would be awesome to be entirely honest. Though I haven't enough knowledge on real life butchering to say exactly what could be made into a craft though I hear that many people are wanting different kinds of sausage, smoked meats, and even bacon.
You finish eating a green and brown mushroom. You still feel hungry
eat belly-rot
You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach as the mushrooms hit.
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You finish eating a belly-rot mushroom.
You are starving!
User avatar
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:18 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby radioactivejesus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Tykanis wrote:Some more butchering crafts would be awesome to be entirely honest. Though I haven't enough knowledge on real life butchering to say exactly what could be made into a craft though I hear that many people are wanting different kinds of sausage, smoked meats, and even bacon.

Head Cheese!!!! It's a common staple of olde timey peasantry. Made from meat jelly from the heads of animals
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Head cheese, black pudding, meat pies, tripe, haggis, all the good stuff. Though with our area being one of the more egalitarian parts of Middle-Earth I don't think it is unreasonable for us all to enjoy the more choice cuts of meat! That is not to say spurn the peasanty goodness.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
User avatar
Hawkwind
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Volga Matushka

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Patty » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Orkish music crafts. I haven't been able to use my music skill once.

performing an upbeat flute melody just doesn't cut it in the Mal.
<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
The head is there.
User avatar
Patty
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:27 pm

Maybe give the music skill some warfare related skill checks?
Matt
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby radioactivejesus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Matt wrote:Maybe give the music skill some warfare related skill checks?

that's a pretty awesome idea. Some way for bards to be able to head into a fort and motivate the troops with song, and a way to do a similar thing using jars of mead/ale or bloodswill/rotgut.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Real » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Education crafts. Sort of similar to the ones we had in Atonement but more tightly-controlled studying objects to regulate skill levels. I figure, we could do it one of two ways;

One, we could have a library in town where you pay to get in/get a token with uses/however you want to do it and there's a reusable library object that checks against mid-level Education so we can all work up to a decent level. Simple, quick and provides a means to push your Education up to a reasonable point (to teach, maybe) if it started at Novice or something.

Two, this is my favorite, we could have reusable, permanent 'tome' objects of varying skill levels, to be bought at entry-level for up to maybe Amateur and then beyond that you'd have to craft them through Education-based skillchecks, or... find the Adroit/Master level tomes during RPTs as loot (to switch it up so people can receive a nice reward without messing up the world or PVP balance, as with arms/armor/ingots) or hidden away in some dark dungeon or something. Finding super-secret knowledge in a musty tome hidden away in some ruin in the Mirkwood is badass as hell if you ask me.

And the ancient knowledge tomes could get passed around between characters so they could study them in turn. Yes, I'm bracing myself for the inevitable "no one's gonna wanna share cause our players suck" opinion but it's more than worth a try I think.

And I'm curious what others think about this.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
User avatar
Real
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Real » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:45 am

Grappling hooks at Adroit metalworking that you can attach/detach from the big coiled ropes with a craft - I imagine they'd be pretty heavy depending on material. Progs in certain rooms that let you 'throw grapple' or something to trans up to a point where you can stand on the walls instead of trying to scale a red room and auto-falling.

Could be cool for forts when they go in and would make for a great RP prop.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
User avatar
Real
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Blayneburner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:01 am

Perhaps some bits we can make with weaponsmithing that can be used to assemble a metal shod staff. Just some weighted end caps and a nice weapon we can make with weapon/woodworking.
Blayneburner
Verified Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:17 am

Matt wrote:Better shields please. Those nice heavy shields should be hard to make and come by but pleeeaaaasse can we get a higher quality shield craft?


Having a worn shield after tanking only one short fight is pretty bad. Need shield craft that's a step above these pitiful little things we've got.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
User avatar
Melkor
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:45 am

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:21 am

Melkor wrote:
Matt wrote:Better shields please. Those nice heavy shields should be hard to make and come by but pleeeaaaasse can we get a higher quality shield craft?


Having a worn shield after tanking only one short fight is pretty bad. Need shield craft that's a step above these pitiful little things we've got.


I'd tend to disagree, unless these shields are getting demolished by training weapons. If you think about what a shield is doing I can easily imagine it being something of a shambles by the end of a fight where real weapons are being used. Blocking axe or sword strikes? There's probably bits and pieces of shield coming off like nobody's business.

That said I don't know how resource intense making shields is, but if it's just wood and leather neither of those things are terribly hard to come by. I think it makes more sense to just have a new shield crafted in most cases, or to have a stock of shields on standby for the military inclined groups.
User avatar
Brian
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:59 am

right now weapons actually give a higher deflect boost than shields do. It's high-time for the next level of shields to come ingame
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby tehkory » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:10 pm

radioactivejesus wrote:right now weapons actually give a higher deflect boost than shields do. It's high-time for the next level of shields to come ingame

That sounds like a reason to lower the boosts that weapons get(or at worst add to the boosts shields get), rather than add to gear and power creep.
tehkory
Master Ent
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Crafting Requests

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:35 pm

tehkory wrote:
radioactivejesus wrote:right now weapons actually give a higher deflect boost than shields do. It's high-time for the next level of shields to come ingame

That sounds like a reason to lower the boosts that weapons get(or at worst add to the boosts shields get), rather than add to gear and power creep.

Yea, I'm in favour of the simple shields getting bumped up to 'improves deflect' rather than 'slightly improves deflect'

weapons only add +1 or +2 to deflect, which isn't really a game changer, but it's still the same or more than shields give. To make shields even more useless, they still don't have a chance at blocking fired arrows, as that ability still seems to be disabled due to it using the changes atonement made to simulate bullets rather than arrows.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
User avatar
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login

Who is online

Very smart users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Login