It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Easterlings

Easterlings

Naming Wainrider

A player-driven initiative to create and document SoI's newest race.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Naming Wainrider

Postby Trakel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:42 am

So after some light-hearted research I've discovered that the closest tribes to the are are Rostamush, Narimanush and the Bozorganush. They are closest to Mirkwood specifically in that order. Ultimately they form the larger group named the Balchoth.

Since it can be mostly deduced that the Balchoth and the Wainriders were much the same people, that being Easterlings just under different confederacy name.

It's my suggestion that even though the timelines are a little sketchy, the Wainriders in SoI be called officially the Rostamush. Given that they are the closest group to Mirkwood and thus Vadok Mal, it makes the most sense to me anyway that they would find themselves there.

Ultimately it could also be something made-up, but I never was good at coming up with original names so... that's my two cents.
Trakel
Verified Member

Re: Naming Wainrider

Postby Faroukel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Makes sense to me. Just curious, but what's the source of the research?
"Youse maggoty lout! Get'cher arse on da move an' quit youse yappin!"
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:00 pm

Wodan wrote:Makes sense to me. Just curious, but what's the source of the research?

The Balchoth, at least, were a previous player/Staff creation from SoI-That-Was. I'm sure more than a couple old guard players could fetch the documentation for that...but at the same time, it might be better for the game if people are more involved/help come up with something new and shiny.

ETA: Asked around to see if anybody has the old docs, so we'll see.
Last edited by tehkory on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Trakel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Most of it comes from an official source called Other Minds. So it's not official in any sense, but it's in-depth enough to make sense...

If that makes sense.

Specifically it's Other Minds, Issue 14.

I'm not sure how people feel about sources like that, but there it is. It's pretty detailed, anyway. :?
Trakel
Verified Member

Postby Faroukel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Yup, remember the Balchoth well.

Was just curious about the source as I've not really come across much in regards to the Wainriders.

Nonetheless, really like what I'm reading and seems solid to me!
"Youse maggoty lout! Get'cher arse on da move an' quit youse yappin!"
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Frigga » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Just to poke in, yes, the reason we didn't just go with the old docs is to sort of make something shiny. The old docs could be a starting point and see what folks would want to see changed etc.

I think the Other Minds thing originally came from a MERPs book, which I might have to post as a reference too. As those were official we can refer to MERPs stuff.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Tepes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Some stuff from https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Variag

Balchoth - A tribe allied with Dol Guldur that attempted to conquer the Gondorian province of Calenardhon. The Éothéod people helped Gondor repel this invasion and were granted Calenardhon as their reward, renaming it Rohan.
Jangovar - An Easterling tribe assaulting the Lonely Mountain and the kingdom of Dale at the behest of Sauron.
Khundolar - Descendants of the Balchoth, this tribe has begun an incursion into the West at the Dark Lord's bidding, beginning with the Brown Lands along the River Anduin.
Sûhalar - A tribe of long-bearded warriors sent by the Dark Lord to attack the Gondorian province of Old Anórien.
Variags - A group of mighty warriors (possibly mercenaries) from Khand. They are loyal to Mordor.

After the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, the Variag, Jarl Gurthilm, recants his involvement with the Kuhndolar and, with your assistance, retreats back to Khand.

Wainriders - A tribe of Easterlings that rode into battle in great wains (chariots). A large force of Wainriders once invaded Gondor, secretly serving the whim of Sauron.
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby krelm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:50 pm

As a note, the current IG area is only like 100 miles away from the Lonely Mountain, so the tribe could feasibly be a part of the Jangovar, depending on what timeline that paste is from.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Zargen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Jangovar works for me. Pulled from LOTRO

Jangovar

The Jangovar were an Easterling people dwelling east of Mirkwood and within the forest Eaves and the East Bight.They were descendants of the Balchoth, once a mighty confederacy of many tribes. They often found themselves subjugated or pressed into league with the Necromancer of Dol Guldur or the more powerful Eastern Realm of Rostamush.

Warcraft

The Jangovar Warriors wore Scimitars and Composite bows.

They were supported by Summoners, Sorcerers trained in Dol Guldur who sought to controlled the wild beasts of the Forest, such as Squirrels, Bears, Sabreteeth, Hawks, Lynx and Rats.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Isn't that an intellectual property of LOTRO? We need to be extremely careful here with our agreement with the good Doctor's estate.

;)

Also... did someone mention magic before? Erm... I'll nip that one in the bud. We're not supporting magic of any kind for Easterlings.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby tehkory » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:11 pm

Inspiration is nice, but taking from published sources(MERP, TOR, or LOTRO) is probably about the most stupid decision we could come up with, yeah.

I'm still in support of/interested in playing the old Balchoth..and I think the Variags are probably even worse than having Haradrim.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby PhocsM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Since Jangovar can't be used due to copyright and the Balchoth neither for the sake of making something new, I propose we call them either Rostamush, Narimanush, Bozorganush or make something up, we can make a poll, vote for each name and those who don't like any propose other names. If no specific name wins we make another including the new names.
Any thoughts on this?
"A lithe, magic orange fox grins stupidly"
PhocsM
Forum Hobbit

Postby Frigga » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:14 am

I think those are fun names, but as Nimrod sort of poked, we likely shouldn't be using other folks stuff.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Nimrod » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:37 am

Is there anything wrong with just keeping the name 'Easterling' for the race name?
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Bones » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:02 am

Nimrod wrote:Is there anything wrong with just keeping the name 'Easterling' for the race name?

"Get the that Easterling bastard!!!"

Has a nice ring to it...
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby PhocsM » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:28 am

Is there anything wrong with just keeping the name 'Easterling' for the race name?

Now at all for me, I just thought everyone wanted not to call them that.
"A lithe, magic orange fox grins stupidly"
PhocsM
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nimrod » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 am

PhocsM wrote:Now at all for me, I just thought everyone wanted not to call them that.

This is a player-run / driven initiative. You all have the power here, you can name them whatever you like. Well... Easter-McEast-Face may get rejected by staff, but you get the idea.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Frigga » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 am

Nimrod wrote:Is there anything wrong with just keeping the name 'Easterling' for the race name?

Well, one cool idea, and folks can use this as they see fit, like the Dorwinion docs have a few different subsets under the "Easterling" umbrella if different folks want to come up with some suggestions.

As the term could apply to a number if smaller sub-groups (Sort of like how in the day the Orcs had cultural subgroups.)

Codewise they could just stay being called Easterlings but subgroups may call themselves something else via RP.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Icarus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Easterling it is.

The internal geopolitical conflict created by divergent ethic groups will create positive internal rp.*

* Before an orc shoots them with a crossbow.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nimrod » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:37 am

https://shadowcooperative.atlassian.net ... asterlings

That's your dedicated wiki page. We have a few of you with edit rights, so make sure you work together.

I modified the page style slightly to make it a bit more readable, but it's your baby to do with as you will.

Anyone that wishes to contribute to the wiki, just drop a line to us at support@middle-earth.us and I'll get you set up.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Return to Easterlings

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login