It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:29 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Lore

Lore

Laketown Structure

A place to discuss Middle-Earth Lore, for all you canon-lovers.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Laketown Structure

Postby Drew7uk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:13 am

I wanted to gather a few pieces from the book as well as ask generally how far we'll be modelling the town from the excerpts which do mention the layout/general feel of the town even though the game (as far as I'm aware) is opening some 20 years before these events. In any case, I'll start off with these:

Upon arrival:

""Follow me then," said the captain, and with six men about them he led them over the bridge through the gates and into the market-place of the town. This was a wide circle of quiet water surrounded by the tall piles on which were built the greater houses, and by long wooden quays with many steps and ladders going down to the surface of the lake. From one great hall shone many lights and there came the sound of many voices. They passed its doors and stood blinking in the light looking at long tables filled with folk."

And on their departure:

"Horses and ponies had been sent round by circuitous paths to meet them at their appointed landing-place. The Master and his councillors bade them farewell from the great steps of the town-hall that went down to the lake. People sang on the quays and out of windows."

Are the staff able to divulge at this point what similarities/differences we'll be following for the town itself?
Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Laketown Structure

Postby Octavius » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I think discussion and citation is good.

Alpha will be in Utterby, a lumber camp in the eaves of Mirkwood, as mentioned by Icarus.

The actual layout of Laketown for Open is something that Icarus and Frigga have definite vision of... I suspect we'll complete Alpha building first, though. :)

I also think Peter Jackson's vision is relevant (as our new players will have notions formed by it). Here's one of the sets from the new movie:

How much canon regarding Laketown can you find? Glad to see it all posted and consolidated.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Drew7uk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:27 pm

I'll see what else I can dig up :)

This was actually inspired by the depiction of Laketown in the film, which I though was very nicely done! Rather enjoyed it overall, but enjoyed the first one more.
Drew7uk
Dwarf Recruit

Postby soiacc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Tolkien's illustration of Laketown/Esgaroth.

ETA:Seeing that raft person makes me want to roll
Huck Finn - Middle Earth Style.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Icarus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:42 pm

I completely support tolkien huck finns.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Return to Lore

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login