It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:16 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Lore

Lore

Orkish Physiology

A place to discuss Middle-Earth Lore, for all you canon-lovers.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orkish Physiology

Postby krelm » Tue May 27, 2014 3:01 am

This was never mentioned by Tolkien, and I have my own beliefs, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

A few things I believe about the physiology of orks:

1. They are immortal until killed. Being a corruption of elves, they can probably live forever, though most orks die well before then to in-fighting or disease or what-have-you. I always figured they matured at a fairly young age, around 10 to 13, and then just sort of stuck there for the rest of their lives.

2. They reproduce both sexually and a-sexually. As in, they can both screw to reproduce, and some powerful Necromancer or whatever can grow them out of rocks, like Saruman. The average orks don't come from birthing pits, they come from female orks.

3. Half-orcs don't exist - if an ork tries to breed with anything other than an ork, that other thing will most likely die from it, and certainly not produce any offsprint.

4. They are somewhat quicker to heal than humans (RP-wise, not code-wise, obviously), and can heal from wounds that would normally be deemed lethal to humans. They also rarely die from infection.

5. Orks can eat pretty much damn near anything.

So what does everyone else think, and also, what do the admins think, since they're the ones that make this into SoI canon.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Re: Orkish Physiology

Postby MackDazzler » Tue May 27, 2014 3:34 am

krelm wrote:3. Half-orcs don't exist - if an ork tries to breed with anything other than an ork, that other thing will most likely die from it, and certainly not produce any offsprint.

Just curious as to your reasoning behind this? I'm not advocating halfbreeds, I'm just interested.
MackDazzler
Forum Hobbit

Postby Taurgalas » Tue May 27, 2014 6:39 am

Two main reasons. The first is a standard of game play and something we don't really want to encourage in this environment. The second, because there is little writing to support "half-orcs" and what there is that is written is in the Third Age, Lord of the Rings, a long way in the future for our current setting.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Octavius » Tue May 27, 2014 6:41 am

MackDazzler wrote:
krelm wrote:3. Half-orcs don't exist - if an ork tries to breed with anything other than an ork, that other thing will most likely die from it, and certainly not produce any offsprint.

Just curious as to your reasoning behind this? I'm not advocating halfbreeds, I'm just interested.

Usually the canon for this is based on the twin brothers Elrond and Elros, who were born half-elven and half-human. They were not some Darwinian hybrid, but instead had to choose which Race's destiny would govern their fate. Elrond chosen Elven and lived thousands of years before retiring into the West, while Elros chose humanity and founded the line of Kings of Numenor with a mortal life.

TLDR: The Valar decide what races exist, not genetics.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Pallando » Tue May 27, 2014 7:21 am

Hey Krelm,

You touch on some incredibly interesting points here. I'm personally a big fan of lore research, and have been for many years where the game is concerned. I'll do my best to answer some of these, but it's worth bearing in mind we're still hammering out some of the social and traditional veins the Orcs we have in the game will follow. Here are some of my personal feelings on the questions:

krelm wrote:1. They are immortal until killed. Being a corruption of elves, they can probably live forever, though most orks die well before then to in-fighting or disease or what-have-you. I always figured they matured at a fairly young age, around 10 to 13, and then just sort of stuck there for the rest of their lives.

The point of being a corruption of elves, or whether they were an attempt by Melkor merely to replicate them, is of course disputed. One version believed by the Elves of Eressea, the other by Treebeard when he recites their history to Merry and Pippin. Regardless, since they are more or less widely regarded as "possibly immortal" I believe we'll be sticking with this insofar as you describe it. Bolg I believe lives to around 150, but I see this being incredibly rare.

I personally see there being an early maturing point like you, but after that point they'd still grow partially wiser (or stupider) depending on the individual.

krelm wrote:2. They reproduce both sexually and a-sexually. As in, they can both screw to reproduce, and some powerful Necromancer or whatever can grow them out of rocks, like Saruman. The average orks don't come from birthing pits, they come from female orks.

Indeed, Tolkien doesn't make any mention of any female Orcs nor what they are like - which isn't to say they don't exist. However, it does seem far more plausible that they are spawned both by some method from the evil powers that be (less frequent today) and via natural reproduction with a female species (more frequent). Can they breed with humans? Next point...

Controversial, but exciting all the same!

Taurgalas is right in saying that a good deal of what is written about Half-orcs happens at the time of the Lord of the Rings. However, that's not to say that they aren't present in our period.

How are they produced? By sorcery, like Orcs are/were? Or when a Daddy Orc and a Mummy Human hook up? No one knows. But for me, what little evidence we do have points to this in some way being possible. I personally believe Half-orcs should exist and be present/referred to.

krelm wrote:4. They are somewhat quicker to heal than humans (RP-wise, not code-wise, obviously), and can heal from wounds that would normally be deemed lethal to humans. They also rarely die from infection.

The books and supporting material consistently point to some kind of rejuvenation of Orcs, particularly where it refers to the race and its well-being as a whole. Many times the Orcs came close to destruction, but were hardy and re-emerged in numbers stronger than ever.

I'm personally not familiar with any other kind of reference in the canon to any kind of faster physical rejuvenation, but what we do know is that Orcs are in many ways reliant on their mysterious masters for their power - whether that be Melkor earlier on, or the Necromancer in our period. I don't see why we wouldn't consider them a little tougher and hardier than most humans though, perhaps thanks to their ancient heritage.

krelm wrote:5. Orks can eat pretty much damn near anything.

Sure, why not.

There are tonnes more unanswered questions like this that I know will need addressing as the game goes on. We'll work to bring these to you as and when we can.

Where others are concerned or have questions on these things, what do you feel needs filling in? What do you feel pertinent to your gameplay experience?
Pallando
Roleplay Admin

Postby Brian » Tue May 27, 2014 8:11 am

2. They reproduce both sexually and a-sexually. As in, they can both screw to reproduce, and some powerful Necromancer or whatever can grow them out of rocks, like Saruman. The average orks don't come from birthing pits, they come from female orks.

This point is actually made clear in the Silmarillion in chapter 3: Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor

For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Ilúvatar; and naught that had life of its own, nor the semblance of life, could ever Melkor make since his rebellion in the Ainulindalë before the Beginning: so say the wise.

This establishes two points; orcs produce sexually, as Elves and Men do, and second that Melkor (and by extension Sauron) are not able to create anything that has life or the appearance of life. They are only able to pervert what already exists, but never to create anything anew.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Pallando » Tue May 27, 2014 8:52 am

That's a good point actually Brian. As far as I've read this was not initially the case (that something could be created from nothing) but Tolkien later revised this in the legendarium.

Curious on your take on Half-orcs here too Brian!
Pallando
Roleplay Admin

Postby Throttle » Tue May 27, 2014 9:18 am

I believe the most commonly cited reference to Half-Orcs as we saw them in early SOI is from some shady dude(s) in Bree who "looked half like a goblin" or something, which was twisted into meaning that there was a race of Half-Orcs knocking about when really it was probably more akin to saying someone is dog-faced without actually meaning that they have the head of a canine.

The actual "art" of transforming Men into Uruk-Hai is different but has caused confusion because these are sometimes referred to as Half-Orcs or Orc-Men in other sources. Quote Tolkien:

It became clear in time that undoubted men could under the domination of Morgoth or his agents in a few generations be reduced almost to the Orc-level of mind and habits; and then they would or could be made to mate with Orcs producing new breeds, often larger and more cunning. There is no doubt that long afterwards, in the Third Age, Saruman rediscovered this, or learned of it in lore, and in his lust for mastery committed this, his wickedest deed: the interbreeding of Orcs and Men, producing both Man-orcs large and cunning, and Orc-men treacherous and vile.

This seems to suggest that the transformation from human to "Half-Orc" is much more deliberate and artificial, as we see it done by Saruman, and not something that just happens out there and causes people of mixed race to exist amongst Men. It also appears to be a forgotten practice that is rediscovered by Saruman as described in the Lord of the Rings, so there would be no Half-Orcs of any kind at the time that this game takes place.

Tolkien does refer to "both Man-orcs and Orc-men," but I don't think this is much more than the typically excessive verbosity of Tolkien -- both are probably Uruk-Hai, not Uruk-Hai and a separate race of Orc-men. Whatever the case, I think it's fairly certain that the original SOI version of Half-Orcs, as a race of people who are the orkish equivalent to the archetypical half-elf of later D&D-inspired fantasy settings, is non-canonical. SOI's version was a misinterpretation of Tolkien's explanations of the origin of Uruk-Hai.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Tue May 27, 2014 10:31 am

Indeed.

As for the age of orcs, someone should maybe ask Striza how old he is ;)

As for the breeding of orcs, it is indeed from orc to orc.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Letters » Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Throttle, I'm dead certain that the first reference to uruk-hai in the Third Age is when they emerged from Minas Morgul to sack Osgiliath in 2475, or perhaps 2460, when the Watchful Peace ended (so you know, SoI as was). Saruman is more likely to have copied it from Sauron than Morgoth.

Otherwise, I agree with all that. Half-orcs shouldn't be a thing, and are probably just a consequence of those moments in Bree. Quite. Half-orc could perhaps be synonymous with uruk-hai, but we shouldn't be seeing any of those in the game. Any in existence are hanging out in Mordor at the moment.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Pallando » Tue May 27, 2014 8:04 pm

I couldn't comment as to the reason for Half-orcs coming about, but there are certainly a few more references to them than this.

Two Towers, Flotsam and Jetsam:
'But these creatures of Isengard, these half-orcs and goblin-men that the foul craft of Saruman has bred, they will not quail at the sun,' said Gamling. 'And neither will the wild men of the hills. Do you not hear their voices?'

'And there were battalions of Men, too. Many of them carried torches, and in the flare I could see their faces. Most of them were ordinary men, rather tall and dark-haired, and grim but not particularly evil-looking. But there were some others that were horrible: man-high, but with goblin-faces, sallow, leering, squint-eyed. Do you know, they reminded me at once of that Southerner at Bree: only he was not so obviously orc-like as most of these were.'

Two Towers, Treebeard (possible reference to Uruk-Hai here though?):

'And now it is clear that he is a black traitor. He has taken up with foul folk, with the Orcs. Brm, hoom! Worse than that: he has been doing something to them; something dangerous. For these Isengarders are more like wicked Men. It is a mark of evil things that came in the Great Darkness that they cannot abide the Sun; but Saruman's Orcs can endure it, even if they hate it. I wonder what he has done? Are they Men he has ruined, or has he blended the races of Orcs and Men? That would be a black evil!'

The Return of the King, the Scouring of the Shire:

When they reached The Green Dragon, the last house on the Hobbiton side, now lifeless and with broken windows, they were disturbed to see half a dozen large ill-favoured Men lounging against the inn-wall; they were squint-eyed and sallow-faced.
'Like that friend of Bill Ferny's at Bree,' said Sam.
'Like many that I saw at Isengard,' muttered Merry.

Food for thought, anyway!
Pallando
Roleplay Admin

Postby Saellyn » Tue May 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Throttle wrote:I believe the most commonly cited reference to Half-Orcs as we saw them in early SOI is from some shady dude(s) in Bree who "looked half like a goblin" or something, which was twisted into meaning that there was a race of Half-Orcs knocking about when really it was probably more akin to saying someone is dog-faced without actually meaning that they have the head of a canine.

The actual "art" of transforming Men into Uruk-Hai is different but has caused confusion because these are sometimes referred to as Half-Orcs or Orc-Men in other sources. Quote Tolkien:

It became clear in time that undoubted men could under the domination of Morgoth or his agents in a few generations be reduced almost to the Orc-level of mind and habits; and then they would or could be made to mate with Orcs producing new breeds, often larger and more cunning. There is no doubt that long afterwards, in the Third Age, Saruman rediscovered this, or learned of it in lore, and in his lust for mastery committed this, his wickedest deed: the interbreeding of Orcs and Men, producing both Man-orcs large and cunning, and Orc-men treacherous and vile.

This seems to suggest that the transformation from human to "Half-Orc" is much more deliberate and artificial, as we see it done by Saruman, and not something that just happens out there and causes people of mixed race to exist amongst Men. It also appears to be a forgotten practice that is rediscovered by Saruman as described in the Lord of the Rings, so there would be no Half-Orcs of any kind at the time that this game takes place.

Tolkien does refer to "both Man-orcs and Orc-men," but I don't think this is much more than the typically excessive verbosity of Tolkien -- both are probably Uruk-Hai, not Uruk-Hai and a separate race of Orc-men. Whatever the case, I think it's fairly certain that the original SOI version of Half-Orcs, as a race of people who are the orkish equivalent to the archetypical half-elf of later D&D-inspired fantasy settings, is non-canonical. SOI's version was a misinterpretation of Tolkien's explanations of the origin of Uruk-Hai.

Fairly sure there was a distinction made in the text between Uruk-Hai and half-orcs.
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Khamul » Wed May 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Taurgalas is right in saying that a good deal of what is written about Half-orcs happens at the time of the Lord of the Rings. However, that's not to say that they aren't present in our period.

There is, even at the time of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, never any definitive mention of half-orcs. As a few people have mentioned by now, there were some people who people thought looked kind of half-orcish.

Unlikely. A fundamental fact of Tolkien's world is that one cannot create life without the Flame Imperishable, which only Eru has. Even Melkor himself could not create, only warp... even the dwarves, made by Aule, were given the flame by Eru. Orcs thus almost certainly come into the world in the same way as everyone else... though it *is* suggested in several places that they are rather rabbit-like in their ability to regain their numbers.

5. Orks can eat pretty much damn near anything.

Well. I imagine, at least, that they're somewhat more resistant to decay and diseased food than humans are. I don't imagine that they deal with toxins or rocks any better than people do.

4. They are somewhat quicker to heal than humans (RP-wise, not code-wise, obviously), and can heal from wounds that would normally be deemed lethal to humans. They also rarely die from infection.

Possibly they are, or possibly they aren't and think they are; as one might recall from the books, however, they have some rather interesting compounds that they use in healing.

He needed speed and had to humour his unwilling followers. He was healing Merry in orc-fashion; and his treatment worked swiftly. When he had forced a drink from his flask down the hobbit’s throat, cut his leg-bonds, and dragged him to his feet, Merry stood up, looking pale but grim and defiant, and very much alive. The gash in his forehead gave him no more trouble, but he bore a brown scar to the end of his days.
Khamul
Roleplay Admin

Postby Octavius » Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am

Khamul wrote:Possibly they are, or possibly they aren't and think they are; as one might recall from the books, however, they have some rather interesting compounds that they use in healing.

He needed speed and had to humour his unwilling followers. He was healing Merry in orc-fashion; and his treatment worked swiftly. When he had forced a drink from his flask down the hobbit’s throat, cut his leg-bonds, and dragged him to his feet, Merry stood up, looking pale but grim and defiant, and very much alive. The gash in his forehead gave him no more trouble, but he bore a brown scar to the end of his days.

If someone wants to provide details on what we think these healing methods are, I'll get them into the Medicine crafts. :) I do intend to revise the "fresh maggots" wound treatment, as well.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Throttle » Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 am

I don't think it was healing as such. More likely it was just a bit of Middle-Earth Red Bull, not some kind of magical regeneration potion. Probably the orkish equivalent of lembas bread. Anyway, he wasn't exactly dying, just knackered.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Khamul » Thu May 29, 2014 11:03 am

I apparently missed the most important part of that quote:

Then he smeared the wound with some dark stuff out of a small wooden box...

The orcs do seem to have something that promotes healing, prevents infection, and leads to some ugly scars. The drink? Yes, that was probably just a painkiller with stimulants.
Khamul
Roleplay Admin

Postby Throttle » Thu May 29, 2014 11:40 am

The orcs do seem to have something that promotes healing, prevents infection

All healers hopefully do. I think it's just some regular medicinal product, though with the characteristic orkish crudeness as they wouldn't be bothered about causing scars or pain. I certainly wouldn't interpret that scene as evidence that orcs have some kind of special healing power beyond what the other races can accomplish with ordinary remedies.
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby MackDazzler » Thu May 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Throttle wrote:
The orcs do seem to have something that promotes healing, prevents infection

All healers hopefully do. I think it's just some regular medicinal product, though with the characteristic orkish crudeness as they wouldn't be bothered about causing scars or pain. I certainly wouldn't interpret that scene as evidence that orcs have some kind of special healing power beyond what the other races can accomplish with ordinary remedies.

Perhaps they have so many illnesses, ailments and STIs trying to kill them that the end up cancelling each other out? Kind of like Three Stooges Syndrome...

Mr Burns wrote:So, what you're saying is that I'm indestructible?

Oh no, no, in fact even a slight breeze co-..

-Indestructible-...
MackDazzler
Forum Hobbit

Postby Red » Thu May 29, 2014 3:59 pm

I think I am about to be smacked around the head for asking this question, but are orc born naturally evil? Evil is a rather general term. It's not something they are taught or learn, is it?
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby Songweaver » Thu May 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Red wrote:I think I am about to be smacked around the head for asking this question, but are orc born naturally evil? Evil is a rather general term. It's not something they are taught or learn, is it?

It's a good question.

Melkor (and Sauron after him, along with Saruman in the later Third Age) have so exerted so much of their massive wills over the orcs, mystically, that the orcs really have no choice. Beyond that, they've been programmed sociologically over thousands of years to value a brutal culture that would be deemed evil by other races. There is nothing in canon that suggests that there has ever been a "good" orc. That's not to say they are all mindless automatons, but of all of the races of Middle-Earth, no race succumbs as easily to the Dark Lord's will as the orcs do.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Red » Thu May 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Songweaver wrote:
Red wrote:I think I am about to be smacked around the head for asking this question, but are orc born naturally evil? Evil is a rather general term. It's not something they are taught or learn, is it?

It's a good question.

Melkor (and Sauron after him, along with Saruman in the later Third Age) have so exerted so much of their massive wills over the orcs, mystically, that the orcs really have no choice. Beyond that, they've been programmed sociologically over thousands of years to value a brutal culture that would be deemed evil by other races. There is nothing in canon that suggests that there has ever been a "good" orc. That's not to say they are all mindless automatons, but of all of the races of Middle-Earth, no race succumbs as easily to the Dark Lord's will as the orcs do.

Excellent. I couldn't have asked for a better answer.
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby stalinbulldog » Thu May 29, 2014 4:21 pm

That is helpful to know from a motivation standpoint...

And because I can't resist:
Darn, there goes my character concept for an orcish Ithilien Ranger who dual-wields scimitars named Drizzt d'Orc-in-den with a neutral good alignment. And it was such an original and unique background.
stalinbulldog
Verified Member

Postby krelm » Thu May 29, 2014 6:57 pm

I actually had a pretty interesting discussion with Workerdrone about this like two days ago.

Orcs are evil, yes, from a human standpoint-- as humans see them, all orcs exist to do is kill and destroy.

Orcs, however, wouldn't see themselves as evil; in fact, an orc probably wouldn't have a concept of good or evil, or even a concept of morals. If an orc kills somebody, he wouldn't experience any moral dilemma about it, because killing is so ingrained into his very existence that it's like eating or sleeping.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Red » Thu May 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Remorse versus regret.

An orc would question his actions, right? For example if an orc was forcibly ordered to kill a comrade of his. Would he regret doing so and also feel some sense of remorse for that friend having killed someone that may have been his sense of security and familiarity.

I guess it’s a really touchy subject because it’s going to come down to the history and experience of the PC. It’s difficult to rule out an orc with feelings because you’ll be destroying that sense of individuality and personal development.

I am no expert and I am simply here to ask questions from the professionals. :P

In relation to killing humans, how do you think an orc would naturally feel about that? Plunder and rewards aside.

(Sorry I don't want to mislead this thread with questions of orc psychology)
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby Kayube » Thu May 29, 2014 7:25 pm

I do remember reading (and just looked it up on TV Tropes) that some orcs did mention objecting to eating other orcs or leaving behind wounded allies, though others did not.
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Next

Return to Lore

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login