It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:52 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Lore

Lore

Elves, Immortality, and Mortality

A place to discuss Middle-Earth Lore, for all you canon-lovers.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Elves, Immortality, and Mortality

Postby Onasaki » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:49 pm

So, this was a discussion I was having with a friend of mine a few hours ago.

How the hell does one choose to be a mortal? Like... how does that work? Do you just wake up one day and say, "Yep. Immortality sucks. Lets be mortal!"

Or is there some kind of ritual that elves need to do to give up their immortality?

It boggles my mind. And I ask that someone explain this to me, pretty please. :P
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Re: Elves, Immortality, and Mortality

Postby Olthadir » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:40 pm

I assume you are referring to Elrond and Elros. That was a Valar directive after the end if the First Age. Elros still had a long life, but he was counted among Men, which meant when he died his soul went where ever Mens souls go. And no one knows except Iluvatar.

Elves don't really get a choice, it was just that occasion when there were half elves, decendants of Beren (man) and Luthien (elf), and really just Elrond and Elros. All the other people born from human and elf relations are not really mentioned.

Elvish immortality is not immortality as we normally see it. Elves are part of Middle Earth, literally. They can die in the same way humans can, wounds, disease and grief. When they do, they end up back at Valinor in the halls of Mandos. They can, and usually do, come back out and live in Valinor with the rest of the Valar. They can never leave like humans do.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Re: Elves, Immortality, and Mortality

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:53 pm

This also applies to Elladan, Elrohir, and Arwen as well. As Elrond's children, they were also given the same choice as he was, though they were able to defer it for an indefinite period it would seem. It's unclear what Elladan and Elrohir ultimately chose, but we know Arwen's choice.
Brian
Honored Elf

Return to Lore

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login