It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:11 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Middle Earth behavior and you

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Middle Earth behavior and you

Postby soiacc » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:45 pm

My sumission to the lightening of the mood pics...
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:47 pm

How did it take us this long to get to Sir Ian? I mean...really, four pages? I'm ashamed of all of us.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby soiacc » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:49 pm

I think orcs would be like dogs or cats, whatever fits. :ugeek:
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nyneve » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Nyneve wrote:-It's your prerogative. Do whatever the hell you want.
-That said, don't get butthurt when ICly, I react the way I believe Tolkien-true characters would have reacted to whatever it is you're doing.
-IG bigotry/prejudice/etc. is not the same thing as OOC bigotry/prejudice/etc. Do not lump me or anyone else who chooses to play our PCs in a way that aligns with Tolkien into a homophobic, misogynistic, Westboro-Baptist-Church-esque group. It isn't fair and it isn't right. Just because someone plays a criminal doesn't make that person a convict.
-It's your prerogative. Do whatever the hell you want.

Acceptance doesn't mean approval. In game, if my PC is weirded out by someone being gay, they're weirded out by someone being gay. Doesn't mean she/he hates them, shuns them, refuses to feed them, makes a scene and lobbies to have them burned at the stake, etc. It means it makes her/him uncomfortable. And that's fine, and also perfectly within canon.

In other news, I'm going to write a book. It'll be called "Nyneve reviews canon: How to become the most disliked person on the SoI forums in less than 48 hours."

And, in the event that said review has made anyone less than comfortable with me, here's a little fun-fact:

I, Nyneve, am a feminist, pro-marriage-equality, bleeding-heart liberal. Does this help? Are y'all assuaged?

Oh, and if I forgot to mention it, it's your prerogative, do whatever the hell you want.
Last edited by Nyneve on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.”
Nyneve
Dwarf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:05 pm

I think everyone needs to take a step back and just take a deep breath. I imagine most of us IRL support equality for all and that we want everyone to have equal access to this game and to feel welcome. Nevertheless, we are playing characters in a different world. And we need to iron out what is appropriate for the game's approach to the setting.

People are giving very different thoughts on the matter and those are appreciated, but I think we an end-all, be-all answer to this. What is or is not accepted in our vision of Tolkien's world? What will the vNPC response be to female characters as warriors or to homosexuality?

If we don't establish something ironclad here, it is just going to be something that comes up repeatedly within the game and causes a lot of grief because people have wildly different interpretations.

Is Utterby accepting of uncommon lifestyles? How accepting is it? Should female characters expect opposition to them being in non-traditional roles? If they are accepted, will they be viewed strangely? Will they just be a fact of life that everyone accepts? Like wise, these questions apply to homosexuals.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm gonnah let this thread cool for just a little bit ;)
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login