Medical NPCs and roleplay

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Medical NPCs and roleplay

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Code: Select all
You overhear a stooped and wrinkled, grey-haired woman whispering to someone
   "There  . . . no  . . . to  . . .   treatment."

Can we have this not be free? Watching PCs run straight to NPCs rather than using the two or so medical PCs in the same room is a teensy bit disheartening. D=.

Hell, I'd be all for the old geezer keeling over entirely. One of the things I never missed that Atonement/Parallel got rid of were healing NPCs.

ETA:
I'm not seeing any crafting NPCs or combat NPCs, eliminating your role entirely. Not sure why we have medical ones.
tehkory
Master Ent

Re: Medical NPCs and roleplay

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 pm

tehkory wrote:
Code: Select all
You overhear a stooped and wrinkled, grey-haired woman whispering to someone
   "There  . . . no  . . . to  . . .   treatment."

Can we have this not be free? Watching PCs run straight to NPCs rather than using the two or so medical PCs in the same room is a teensy bit disheartening. D=.

Hell, I'd be all for the old geezer keeling over entirely. One of the things I never missed that Atonement/Parallel got rid of were healing NPCs.

ETA:
I'm not seeing any crafting NPCs or combat NPCs, eliminating your role entirely. Not sure why we have medical ones.

Pretty sure this is only free for Guard PCs. It normally costs money.

There are not always healer PCs on, and half the time there are healer PCs they're busy doing something else.

Nevermind the silliness of needing to get wounds treated every 10 minutes.

And you're acting like you were being ignored which is, to say the least, completely disingenuous, considering I'd just RPd with you on two? three? separate occasions in the past handful of hours over this one batch of wounds, also RPd with another PC healer in that span, and have done so repeatedly on other occasions, and am semi-afk doing other shit and looking back at the window every 15~ minutes to do the stupid treat code without interrupting your RP with other people.

ETA : Hell, when you first treated my wounds, you didn't even do all of them.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:05 pm

Pretty sure this is only free for Guard PCs. It normally costs money.

Yes, I know: I mean for guard PCs, too.

There are not always healer PCs on, and half the time there are healer PCs they're busy doing something else.

Part of the reason these skills are taken is so they can be used. Sometimes part of roleplay is creating situations where others -have- to come out of their "I'm busy" shells to do shit other than chit-chat.

Nevermind the silliness of needing to get wounds treated every 10 minutes.

This is likely because the wounds were -tended- rather than -treated-. Treatments last longer. Head to skilled PCs rather than NPCs and you'll find you have to spam the command out less.

Acting like I'm targetting you alone rather than a trend, then referencing IC actions

Remember there's IC reasons for IC actions, whereas I'm discussing an OOC trend. I don't need to explain why the situation happened the first time, because it was -in character-. Don't pull that out on forums.

Take any other insults/IC points via PM or hobbitmail, please. I'm here to discuss something that eliminates entire PC concepts.

ETA:
Let me stress, for anyone in this trainwreck of a thread: while I've attracted the interest of someone in this thread, very focused on their own actions, I'm -not- discussing this because of just one person, but multiple people. Nowhere else in the game is it cheaper and quicker to go to an NPC instead of a PC. That's the issue here, not whether someone's upset.
Last edited by tehkory on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:09 pm

tehkory wrote:Acting like I'm targetting you alone rather than a trend, then referencing IC actions

Remember there's IC reasons for IC actions, whereas I'm discussing an OOC trend. I don't need to explain why the situation happened the first time, because it was -in character-. Don't pull that out on forums.

Take any other insults/IC points via PM or hobbitmail, please. I'm here to discuss something that eliminates entire PC concepts.

Yes, obviously. When a player RPs with you 3 times in as many hours because of your concept (and another person, in that time, because of the same concept) it is "eliminating your PC's concept", and not you overreacting.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Olthadir » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Having PC healers instead of everyone running to NPC healers might stop the insane amount of deaths happening in Utterby. And might, hopefully, have people care a little more about their character's safety.

Also, wounds take time to heal. RP that.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Well, yes, I was understandably confused, considering this 30 seconds prior to this post going up...

Someone says, out of character,
"Can I just say that's hella rude/."

Someone says, out of character,
"'cause...you know. PC right here. Whoooole concept for medical. Shame."

This was very odd, coming right after a bout of RP with two doctor PCs and then a brief afk on my part which I returned from to use the NPC.

You're here claiming this NPC is destroying your concept, yet I've personally seen 4 separate healer PCs get plenty of doctor-y RP in the past 24 hours.
Last edited by RiderOnTheStorm on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:28 pm

This really should be handled in a different way, good people.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby MarsGrad » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:30 pm

I totally agree. I don't, nor have I ever played a DocPC, but when I heard about the existence of this NPC I had the same reaction. You'll never be able to buy a decent sword or set of armor from a trader NPC (nor should you), so you shouldn't be able to completely cut out other players who are looking to RP and ply the chosen trade of their characters for convenience sake.
MarsGrad
Verified Member

Postby toofast » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:32 pm

Throw them in the pits, fight to the death!

Oh wait, wrong sphere.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:34 pm

MarsGrad wrote:I totally agree. I don't, nor have I ever played a DocPC, but when I heard about the existence of this NPC I had the same reaction. You'll never be able to buy a decent sword or set of armor from a trader NPC (nor should you), so you shouldn't be able to completely cut out other players who are looking to RP and ply the chosen trade of their characters for convenience sake.

Crafters also do not have the potential for daily RP from dozens of people about their concept repeatedly over and over every day.

Comparing Healers to Crafters is kind of apples and oranges. Once you have a sword, you never have to talk to JoeSmith about getting a sword again. Yet you're going to be going to see JoeHealer multiple times a week. (As evidenced by the fact that the game hasn't even been open for a week yet.)
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby MarsGrad » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:38 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:
MarsGrad wrote:I totally agree. I don't, nor have I ever played a DocPC, but when I heard about the existence of this NPC I had the same reaction. You'll never be able to buy a decent sword or set of armor from a trader NPC (nor should you), so you shouldn't be able to completely cut out other players who are looking to RP and ply the chosen trade of their characters for convenience sake.

Crafters also do not have the potential for daily RP from dozens of people about their concept repeatedly over and over every day.

Comparing Healers to Crafters is kind of apples and oranges. Once you have a sword, you never have to talk to JoeSmith about getting a sword again. Yet you're going to be going to see JoeHealer multiple times a week. (As evidenced by the fact that the game hasn't even been open for a week yet.)

I've played crafters who are often approached multiple times throughout the day to make this bit and that bob, and when you get a moment to make that doo-dad. People always need something killed, something made, or something healed, but its only the docs who have to compete with an NPC for RP about their chosen profession.
MarsGrad
Verified Member

Postby EltanimRas » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:40 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:semi-afk [...] and looking back at the window every 15~ minutes to do the stupid treat code

I'm not qualified to comment on the main thrust of this thread, but I'd be really annoyed to be dealing with treatment [as a patient] much more than twice in an IC day -- which if we're still at 4X speed should be about once every 3 RL hours or so.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby LadyMizra » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:39 am

When you get a sword, armor, etc, eventually it has to be repaired. Just saying. So you will be going back to them.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:07 am

I'm not a fan of NPC healers at all. I think they should be there only during periods of time when nobody is playing a healer.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Tepes » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:25 am

I only use the NPC when I've failed 13 times to heal the same wound, or had someone fail to heal the same wound after 5.

:evil:
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby Jeshin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:23 am

Considering that any hunter should be in the Lodge and anyone with combat skills that wants to 'protect the settlement' will also be in the Guard. It makes a -free- NPC a little bit of a terrible idea.

If the staff want to have an NPC that is free during official engagements like... 12 orcs outside, NPC is flagged free for a few hours to deal with wounds from official guard business. That's okay.

But a Guard healer NPC should -not- be used by hunters in the guard who are going out to kill game either to gather raw materials or raise their combat prowess. At best it should be 50% as expensive as the non-clanned healer.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Nezerin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:22 pm

I've complained to friends about his myself and if you think it's bad for humans the orc NPC treats everyone for free. I think a good compromise to this would be to make the NPC treat things above moderate really poorly. This would encourage people to go to PCs for healing without completely stopping anyone from sparing if a PC healer isn't around.

That said it would also be nice for there to be some sort of echo when being treated by the npc for the wounds that he treats poorly (and expertly for that matter). As it is PCs just have their health list and if they don't know how to read it properly then it can lead them to think they're being treated acceptably for everything every time. Compare this to a player where it says straight out for each treated wound if it was good, bad, or something in between.
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Throttle wrote:I'm not a fan of NPC healers at all. I think they should be there only during periods of time when nobody is playing a healer.

That might be difficult, with the numbers we are seeing it might be best to be rid of the NPC healers entirely.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby alexjones » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:44 pm

I think you should keep the NPC healer since I hardly ever find any healer player in the infirmary.
alexjones
Verified Member

Postby tehkory » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:16 pm

alexjones wrote:I think you should keep the NPC healer since I hardly ever find any healer player in the infirmary.

I'm still seeing a trend of it not -mattering- whether there's PC healers around or not. The number of people I've seen go straight to the NPC and the number of times I've seen the -same- people go straight to the NPC are both climbing.

Add that onto the null cost of the NPC healer, PC healers literally will not be able to compete. A medkit currently gives 15 uses. Then it's gone. The medical 'profession' is the sole profession in-game where you just plain can't get any profit on your own, ever. The cost of upkeeping medical supplies essentially makes it a charity as an individual. It's been true since SoI. It was true in Atonement, it was true in Parallel. You can have a shop and sell almost any good, from raw materials to finished goods, but...there's no real "only medical" concept that profits. Your income doesn't equal the costs.

Adding free competition doesn't help it.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby WorkerDrone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 pm

The medical "profession" literally only works Kory, if you have a salary. I'm not saying you're wrong or right about anything, I'm giving my own estimate on the profitability of the medical profession as a sole profession. You have to be paid by someone on a regular basis for it to profit, and supplied equipment and materials so you aren't spending your own money on all of it, and that's just about the only way to "compete", by necessitating low costs to operate through contracting out to "clans".
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby ThinkTwice » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Please, please, please, inquire with the online PC's before going to the infirmary. Most of the PC's in-game are doing it for free. I understand we're not on all the time, but please at least swing by a public location and inquire.

ICly, it's good to feel you have a purpose. OOCly, we need the skill bumps too, dammit. :evil:
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login