It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Crafting Questions

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby soiacc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:13 am

Since some skills don't have a lot of crafts to branch, will we be getting the crafts added as they come available if we have the right skill and level?
User avatar
soiacc
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:27 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Frigga » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:16 am

Crafts that are added as opening to skills as they are built folks with those skills will get automatically. :D
User avatar
Frigga
The Ice Queen
 
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Throttle » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:57 am

The craft to make a wooden haft for a weapon (make short-haft) has a timer of six hours. Is this intended? The other crafts to forge the weapon's head and put it together are just two hours each.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
User avatar
Throttle
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:59 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Fatherandy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:12 am

Throttle wrote:The craft to make a wooden haft for a weapon (make short-haft) has a timer of six hours. Is this intended? The other crafts to forge the weapon's head and put it together are just two hours each.


I noticed that. The wooden-weaponcraft is not broken down into basic-, ordinary-, superior-. The Ordinary-skilled crafts have the six-hour timer and the basic ones have the two-hour timer.

The simple haft is basic. The short haft looks like the ordinary version, and I assume is codedly better.
Fatherandy
Forum Hobbit
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Mithrandur » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:35 am

Fatherandy wrote:
Throttle wrote:The craft to make a wooden haft for a weapon (make short-haft) has a timer of six hours. Is this intended? The other crafts to forge the weapon's head and put it together are just two hours each.


I noticed that. The wooden-weaponcraft is not broken down into basic-, ordinary-, superior-. The Ordinary-skilled crafts have the six-hour timer and the basic ones have the two-hour timer.

The simple haft is basic. The short haft looks like the ordinary version, and I assume is codedly better.


This would be correct. The plain-wood-haft is just a wooden haft and has a 2 hour timer, the short-haft requires not only wood, but weapon bands which are another 6 hour timer. And then the head of said weapon takes -another- 6 hours, so don't expect too many of those any time soon. For comparison

Basic weapon construction-
2 hours for the blade
2 hours for the haft
2 hours for assembly

Total- 6 hours

Ordinary-
6 for the blade
6 for the haft
6 for the bands
6 for assembly

Total- 24 hours

Keep in mind, codedly there seems to be no reason you could not interchange the hafts as they are both given the same tag in the code.

Produced: a $woodtype1 weapon haft.
OOC Delay Timer: 360 RL Minutes

vs

Produced: a $woodtype1 weapon haft.
OOC Delay Timer: 120 RL Minutes

Not sure if this will actually result in two identical hafts , or if the iron bands will actually be incorporated in the item description. I haven't actually had the time or means to test this just yet but we'll see given time.
Mithrandur
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Throttle » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:43 am

Yeah, the 6h haft craft appears to produce the same item as the 2h one. There could be additional hidden variables that affect weight/durability, but it should mean that they can be used interchangably.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
User avatar
Throttle
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:59 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Fatherandy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:10 pm

Throttle wrote:Yeah, the 6h haft craft appears to produce the same item as the 2h one. There could be additional hidden variables that affect weight/durability, but it should mean that they can be used interchangably.


Same items, different variables. Variables impact more than weight / durability; they can impact all the OVALs (and thus combat stats) of the weapon.

Everything on weapons depends on the variables; it is a change that Kithrater put in to enforce standards and I'm assuming the guys here are abiding by it. You can't tweak any aspect of a weapon directly on the object - you need to craft the variable and the variables apply the differences. Variables are much easier to audit and balance for the Elder Staff.

So, it may be the same object but different variables mean different properties. Being interchangeable means that you CAN plan and balance your timers... you can make a better haft and apply it to the quicker-to-make weapon, or integrate a few cheaper/quicker components on a more advanced weapon, if timers are a major issue. I'd say that it is safe to assume that any item which has a cheaper vs better version has at least some form of coded impact on the weapon.
Fatherandy
Forum Hobbit
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:12 am

Don't the starting craft skill levels seem a little high? I admit to not being at all familiar with how crafting works, but seeing that the vast majority of the crafts you started with require Familiar skill level to do is kind of daunting (for such basic things as 'make basic cloth pouch/sash, make cloth coif'). I'm actually not seeing much of anything you can do besides cut up materials if you aren't at Familiar.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby MrDvAnt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:31 am

So, I think I read that leather laces were made starting crafts, but it hasn't shown up in my leatherworking craftset.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:55 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby LadyMizra » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:02 pm

MrDvAnt wrote:So, I think I read that leather laces were made starting crafts, but it hasn't shown up in my leatherworking craftset.


Make straps, it will branch out from there.
User avatar
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby MrDvAnt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Yes...but if it's a starter I shouldn't have to. I bought tons of straps in pre-game and they take up a lot of space, so now I have to litter the work area with unwanted straps. :p
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:55 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby LadyMizra » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm

MrDvAnt wrote:Yes...but if it's a starter I shouldn't have to. I bought tons of straps in pre-game and they take up a lot of space, so now I have to litter the work area with unwanted straps. :p


XD don't worry you need them to make gambesons.
User avatar
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby MrDvAnt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Lol, but still. The question stands. I swear I saw someone in this thread say they were made starter crafts and we'd all get starters automatically if we had the craft. Only reason I asked.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:55 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:45 pm

MrDvAnt wrote:Lol, but still. The question stands. I swear I saw someone in this thread say they were made starter crafts and we'd all get starters automatically if we had the craft. Only reason I asked.


The craft leather-straps is flagged as opening in leathercraft, I just looked. I guess send a support ticket in asking to have it added to your list.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:47 pm

Nailah wrote:
MrDvAnt wrote:Lol, but still. The question stands. I swear I saw someone in this thread say they were made starter crafts and we'd all get starters automatically if we had the craft. Only reason I asked.


The craft leather-straps is flagged as opening in leathercraft, I just looked. I guess send a support ticket in asking to have it added to your list.


He is asking about leather-laces.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:
Nailah wrote:
MrDvAnt wrote:Lol, but still. The question stands. I swear I saw someone in this thread say they were made starter crafts and we'd all get starters automatically if we had the craft. Only reason I asked.


The craft leather-straps is flagged as opening in leathercraft, I just looked. I guess send a support ticket in asking to have it added to your list.


He is asking about leather-laces.


Oh, my bad. It seems it didn't save when Icarus opened it. I'll fix it.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:36 pm

There was mention a while back of making the general-outdoors crafts opening. I'm not sure if that ever happened. I have most of the ones listed on the craft list, except for scout flexible-rod.

That one might have been moved to foraging or fishing for all I know, but it would be nice to find out.

Also, has "cast line" been readjusted or was I just really, really lucky the first time I used it? I have fishing at Familiar, but I don't seem to be catching anything.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
User avatar
Hazgarn
Cartographer
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 am
Location: Sacramento, Ca

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:09 am

So mining bog-iron is...what, a Foraging craft?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Onasaki » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:13 am

It's a gather craft, yes. I don't know why that's how it is, but it is. Apparently the bog has the capabilities of creating iron in peat-moss.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell


Image
User avatar
Onasaki
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm
Location: Everywhere.

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:21 am

SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
User avatar
Hazgarn
Cartographer
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 am
Location: Sacramento, Ca

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Throttle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm

The hafts created with the plain-wood-haft craft make weapons that can't be gripped in two hands at all. This seems pretty odd. Is it intended?
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
User avatar
Throttle
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:59 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:41 pm

A few of the general-outdoors crafts require "Beginner Common skill". I...really don't know how to phrase this post beyond saying that this slightly confuses me.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
User avatar
Hazgarn
Cartographer
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 am
Location: Sacramento, Ca

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Throttle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Heh, it's because the way you make a craft available to everyone is make it an opening craft for some skill everybody has, i.e. common or dodge or something. It's just not supposed to have a skill check that shows up in the materials readout.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
User avatar
Throttle
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:59 am

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Santi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Let's say I don't have a craft that my background is pretty specific about.

And it's a general-outdoors craft. One that's nothing particularly special.

Ok, it's "cast line".

Do I need to (re)learn that IG, or can one of you awesome Imms magic that for me?

ETA: Just realized I don't have any fishing crafts. What did I do wrong?
Let me be your pupil; I will soon become your master.
User avatar
Santi
Verified Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:29 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Santi wrote:Let's say I don't have a craft that my background is pretty specific about.

And it's a general-outdoors craft. One that's nothing particularly special.

Ok, it's "cast line".

Do I need to (re)learn that IG, or can one of you awesome Imms magic that for me?

ETA: Just realized I don't have any fishing crafts. What did I do wrong?


Did you take the fishing skill?

Yes, it's actually it's own skill.

On that note, I kind of feel like fishing/brewing/baking/some other stuff being their own skills is a little...too much.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

cron

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login

Who is online

Amazing people browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login