It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

The Awesome Amazing Cooking Thread!

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

The Awesome Amazing Cooking Thread!

Postby AdamBlue » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:56 pm

So, hey. Cooking. It pretty much rules. Talk about cooking here, probably! All food-related things work too.

So, I gots a question. There are no novice-level cooking crafts above beginner that DON'T have at least a 30 minute timer on 'em! Was this intentional?
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Re: The Awesome Amazing Cooking Thread!

Postby Mithrandur » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:05 am

AdamBlue wrote:So, hey. Cooking. It pretty much rules. Talk about cooking here, probably! All food-related things work too.

So, I gots a question. There are no novice-level cooking crafts above beginner that DON'T have at least a 30 minute timer on 'em! Was this intentional?

Probably. Seems almost all crafts above beginner in all fields have decent-length timers on them. Probably to ensure that no one PC can fill an entire niche in a marketplace during Alpha, which in turn causes players to have to work together to keep up with demand.
Mithrandur
Honored Dwarf

Postby AdamBlue » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:44 am

Please, for the love of god and all that is holy, please oh please remove the demand for water barrels. Water barrels are the most disgusting monstrosities to ever exist.

And by this, I mean, they pop up in the worst places. Why do I need more water in the 'boil bland-gamebird' craft? I just want the broth and the gamebird itself (which I'm probably just going to chop up and put right back in the broth)

Also, maybe the craft, 'skim broth-pot' or w/e it is, back in. General-Cooking. I love the idea that I can have a nice hot pot of soup ready for anyone, even after I log off. Meanwhile, maybe make 'greens' findable for the 'boil bland-greens' craft. Maybe a 'mix broth-greens' to make a nice vegetable stew that's more heartier for more materials. Maybe even a 'mix stew-meat' craft to make it into 'a pot of $meat and $greens stew', for maximum filling, which is able to be scooped out of a pot. 'skim broth', 'skim vegetable-stew' 'skim meat-greens'

This would be pretty killer, I think. Save me some work, /plus/ it would make sense for orcs to just have hot soup as the solution to everything.

P.S lemme make bread pls :nom:
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Taurgalas » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:29 am

Greens are findable by others with forage. I'm probably going to go through and do a little cooking recalibration and hope it meets with Frigga's approval.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Hazgarn » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Looking forward to the day when butchery will have the means to make sausage out of the more undesirable meats like bat and weasel. Once it's squeezed into a tube, people stop asking questions. :lol:
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Snapdragon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:07 pm

HA! What's there to ask about delicious, nutritious mystery meat that's been mashed and ground into a pulp then filled into a yummy meaty intestine like tube of flesh!

Dem ders gud eats!
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby WildGiller » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Also, bacon. We need bacon. Boar-Bacon plz.
And if brewing counts in here for food. We also need stout beer.

Beer and Bacon = Breakfast of Lumberjacks. It is known.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hazgarn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Also, more options for non-meat based foods. Or at least foods that aren't just meat (soups, etc). These folks are all going to be suffering scurvy. :/
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Snapdragon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Orcs thrive off of scurvy!
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Taurgalas » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:55 pm

They're coming! Promise! Plus rancid meat making for orcs.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Nezerin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:38 pm

Is there currently a craft that uses cooking to let you initially learn it? I know skinning/butchering will let you learn butchery.
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:30 am

Okay, it seems like it's becoming a running gag that I'm always bringing this up, but...

It'd be nice to have some way (any way) to cook fish without needing a grate. :)
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby ThinkTwice » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:41 am

If I burn enough meat, do I eventually learn how to quit burning meat?
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby WildGiller » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 am

I was wondering if I could burn my way up to charred as well.
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Inzannadee » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:05 am

Can someone tell me what to do with a whole roasted boar if I cook one? Is there a slice craft? Or is it a communal hunk of meat that everyone takes bites out of? :lol:
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:35 am

I believe you can butcher cooked whole animals to get slices of cooked meat from them. It's worked with boiled gamebirds to get "servings of shredded gamebird", at least.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Inzannadee wrote:Can someone tell me what to do with a whole roasted boar if I cook one? Is there a slice craft? Or is it a communal hunk of meat that everyone takes bites out of? :lol:

I noticed there wasn't one to slice it last night and I'm adding it in today. :D
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:11 pm

ThinkTwice wrote:If I burn enough meat, do I eventually learn how to quit burning meat?

No, there's no cooking skill check in the craft. If bigger and badder staff than me want to allow for the slow learning of cooking, I can add one and people might one day learn it. But that's their decision.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Snapdragon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm fairly interested in learning how one does learn to cook on their own then. Everything I've come across that can be done without the skill of cooking doesn't have a timer.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Hazgarn wrote:Okay, it seems like it's becoming a running gag that I'm always bringing this up, but...

It'd be nice to have some way (any way) to cook fish without needing a grate. :)

I'll add one to roast a whole fish to crispy with a spit too so you can make one without the butcher yield of making fillets. Fillets are hard to cook without a grate or aluminum foil.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Nailah wrote:I'll add one to roast a whole fish to crispy with a spit too so you can make one without the butcher yield of making fillets. Fillets are hard to cook without a grate or aluminum foil.

Awesome. :)

How would this be effected by the size of the fish, because that makes a big difference in the amount you get out of them from butchering. Would any size fish become a one-size-fits-all crispy fish, or would a massive crispy fish be dividable into 5-ish cooked fillets/servings of fish like a massive dead fish gives raw ones?
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Hazgarn wrote:
Nailah wrote:I'll add one to roast a whole fish to crispy with a spit too so you can make one without the butcher yield of making fillets. Fillets are hard to cook without a grate or aluminum foil.

Awesome. :)

How would this be effected by the size of the fish, because that makes a big difference in the amount you get out of them from butchering. Would any size fish become a one-size-fits-all crispy fish, or would a massive crispy fish be dividable into 5-ish cooked fillets/servings of fish like a massive dead fish gives raw ones?

I'm just making it one generic, low cal crispy burnt fish regardless of the fish to have them get use in that desperate times/desperate measures hunger need. If you want more from it, have it butchered. It's not really worth going into slicing and all that just to eat a charred up fish, and the butchering set helps cooks/fishers that actually want yield to make something nice. There's also no way for me to put different size yields in a craft to know how many slices you'd get per fish type.

For cooks that would use a grate for fillets, it's available for craft in the blacksmith set. When they expand cooking more, they'll probably add crafts to cook pan-fried fish (with butter) etc.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Yeah, the butchery wasn't my problem so much as a lack of grates. I'll have to see about poking a blacksmith in-game then.

But a crispy fish for non-cook/butcher/fishers is a good thing, so far as players having a no-risk but incredibly time consuming way of keeping themselves fed.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Taurgalas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Pan fried fish have already been added previously as a craft for cooks. No butter. We don't have farming yet.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Nezerin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 am

Not sure if it's just my character or what but the poor guy seems able to eat about 15 cooked items or more to be completely full. I don't know if that intentional or not but it seems like that combined with the craft timers make it very difficult to feed even a moderate number of people. When I say that I'm talking about just cooking. We have someone else doing the meat preparation.
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Next

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login