It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:44 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Code vs RP focus

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Code vs RP focus

Postby LuckyV » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:50 am

I want to bring out a topic that has really bothered me lately.

Wherever I go, wherever I turn,
I keep bumping into hard code.
I tried to escape, to hide away,
But all I got was a failed skill roll.

Per aspera ad astra, I thought to myself,
Just as a roll vs will failed me again.
Most important, unimportant or another
Form of potent, is int the choice to go?

Sticks and stones may hurt my bones,
But then I took an arrow to the knee.
Thank you for playing Shadows of Isildur.
It is time to re-roll.

Is there anyone else who feels swamped by the all the code and unable to simply enjoy playing a simple role like a soldier?

You start out with newbie gear and get thrown into a struggle where your success is predetermined by what choices you made in the chargen. Your armour will deteriorate and if you wont make the right choices you'll end up with zilch. How you got your stats set up and what skills you picked up. Did you picked up with a wanted skill or one that is found in abundance, making your character useless?

Is your character worth something or should you retire and make a new one, learning from your mistakes and lack of knowledge for code?

Any tips on how to make a soldier character and chill out, focusing on roleplay, without having to suck and code-based activities?
LuckyV
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Code vs RP focus

Postby Jeshin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 am

I believe if you focus solely on combative skills you will always have a place in a settlement like utterby. Hunters and guards are in pretty high demand. Who knows maybe places need more bouncers.

I do think that as it is Alpha and staff have said everything is in flux, it shouldn't surprise you that code has a forefront feel to it since that is the focus of alpha. Preparing code for the game in the future.

That being said, I do see a lot of RP beginning to emerge as the crafts are opening up and everything.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:16 am

Absolutely.

Right now there is a lot of code tweaking, editing, and managing of bugs. But I want to get us closer to that point where we can "raise the wall" a bit and reduce code transparency as we place further emphasis on RP being our main point of discussion.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Throttle » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:23 am

The game provides ample information. You can design your stats within pretty reasonable parameters, and there's a list of all the skills with their associated stats. There's also a list (somewhere...) of which skills are recommended for each profession. If you chase the perfect character by retiring every time there's something that isn't optimal, you'll never get anywhere.

Don't feel like your character is ruined if it isn't some kind of flawless masterpiece of min-maxing, and don't worry about your skills being demand, this changes from week to week. Besides, a character can change a lot in-game by learning new skills and even adjusting your stats a little with the upgrade command.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Tiamat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 am

Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Its alpha, things are improving everyday. Relax and enjoy making stories we will look back on fondly someday.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:50 pm

I just chose every combat skill on the table, with the exception of two bow skills. They all started at like amateur.

When my stats rolled up, they were all 'good.'

I just rolled with it.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Nimrod » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:38 pm

I too yearn for the days when nobody was talking about all the stats and such to play. On my first major char at SoI, I didn't even know there was a forum where players visited back and forth for the first six months of play. It was all in-game for me at the time.

We will eventually be introducing some simple methods for people to roll specific 'types' of characters. A pre-loaded setting for all stats and skills. Of course you'll be free to tweak these as you see fit, but you'll be able to theoretically roll a good soldier character with a single click, entering descs and background.

Some times we get so wound up in the work we're doing to make this an rpi that we forget about the rp part. Rest assured though, our final goal is to make this a place where you can rp without worrying about all the meta data.

Thank you for the post.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Icarus » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:51 pm

^ Nimrod speaks with the voice of me back in 2008... I miss that experience... :-(
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login