It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:33 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

leatherworking and you

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

leatherworking and you

Postby Snapdragon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:56 pm

So, I have a question about lizard hides. So far, I've noticed that none of the tanning crafts have raw lizard hide as a material for a recipe. I was wondering if it had been overlooked, or simply used for something that my leatherworking/tanning hasn't discovered yet.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Re: leatherworking and you

Postby WildGiller » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm not sure actually, I noted that too though. I think Hedgehog is supposed to be under the small-hide list but it doesn't show up as an option.

but does anyone else dislike that they can't OMOTE the hides in the brining/tanning pit?

Because waiting for 12 hours only to come back and find someone has used your leather is...:evil:
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Snapdragon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:51 pm

yeah. Not that theres a wealth of reading and writing in the game yet :D Be kinda hard to draw a picture of your character face with the appropriate level of malice drawn in to scare away any wouldbe hide gankers lol.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:53 pm

I added these two animal pelt yields to raw-small-pelt. Lizard skin may be moved in the future, if there's development of more crafts that use furless hides and a variety of mobs to match.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Can we get crafts for the leather cloaks you can pick entering the game?
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Zargen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Nailah, on the topic of hairless hides I'd like to mention snakes are unskinnable.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Nailah wrote:I added these two animal pelt yields to raw-small-pelt. Lizard skin may be moved in the future, if there's development of more crafts that use furless hides and a variety of mobs to match.

Actually, I'm pulling the lizard skin off due to other advising on future skin usage. The pelt you get from hedgehogs will still work though.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Zargen wrote:Nailah, on the topic of hairless hides I'd like to mention snakes are unskinnable.

Yeah, I believe Khamul and Taurgalas are still working on non-pelt skin additions and future uses. They probably will be later.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Matt wrote:Can we get crafts for the leather cloaks you can pick entering the game?

Very likely, I'll add it to my list.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Snapdragon » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:02 pm

I've also noticed that the you can't have two large squares of leather equaling the amount needed for something like a leather gambeson and have the craft work. It makes it hard when you have to have a fresh piece of leather for tasks like that. Any idea if that's going to be changed? Or is it here for good.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nailah » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Snapdragon wrote:I've also noticed that the you can't have two large squares of leather equaling the amount needed for something like a leather gambeson and have the craft work. It makes it hard when you have to have a fresh piece of leather for tasks like that. Any idea if that's going to be changed? Or is it here for good.

This is a bit of a difficulty for people writing crafts too. I'm not sure if there can be a hardcoded fix, Nimrod would have to answer that, but if it becomes a big hinder on production, I'll try to think of a way to rework the objects and get around it.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Snapdragon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:43 am

Pretty sure this was a bug, but if I'm wrong...does that mean that leatherworkers poop quivers like the goose that lays the golden egg?

Leatherworking: sew leather-quiver
Phase 1: 15 seconds
Phase 2: 20 seconds
Phase 3: 15 seconds
Phase 4: 20 seconds Familiar Leathercraft skill required.
Phase 5: 20 seconds
Phase 6: 0 seconds
OOC Delay Timer: 30 RL Minutes
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Snapdragon wrote:Pretty sure this was a bug, but if I'm wrong...does that mean that leatherworkers poop quivers like the goose that lays the golden egg?

Leatherworking: sew leather-quiver
Phase 1: 15 seconds
Phase 2: 20 seconds
Phase 3: 15 seconds
Phase 4: 20 seconds Familiar Leathercraft skill required.
Phase 5: 20 seconds
Phase 6: 0 seconds
OOC Delay Timer: 30 RL Minutes

Yes, they DO! It's disgusting.

But really, the craft is okay other than the one phase with no time set on it, which I fixed. It's possible that the craft got swapped while someone was still working on it because it looks okay on the BP now.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Snapdragon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Seeing as the last request worked so well.... :lol:

Would there be any possiblity of adding a craft for the combing of two pieces of medium leather to create one large piece, considering the difficulty it is to get large pieces of leather. To my thinking, the new large leahter would have the designation of patchwork and some of the hide would be lost during the uneven combing. [2 full medium squares (six uses of leather) = 1 patchwork large square with 5 uses (to indicate what was lost during the craft]

Thoughts?
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Taurgalas » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:35 pm

It seems like a nice idea, but due to the nature of variables, this really doesn't work. Sorry.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Forceknight » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:13 am

Quick noob question - is:
a medium, $leathercolorcolor square of leather
&
a medium, tanning, $leathercolorcolor skin

the same thing? if not, how do you get the square of leather item?
Forceknight
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hazgarn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:58 am

Have not done leatherworking yet, but I would guess you wait for the tanning square of leather to morph into the finished square of leather.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Inzannadee » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:04 am

Hazgarn wrote:I would guess you wait for the tanning square of leather to morph into the finished square of leather.

This is correct! First you brine and wait. Then you tan/scud and wait. And after about 12 hours of tanning, you'll have a ready-to-use square of leather!
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Forceknight » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Inzannadee wrote:
Hazgarn wrote:I would guess you wait for the tanning square of leather to morph into the finished square of leather.

This is correct! First you brine and wait. Then you tan/scud and wait. And after about 12 hours of tanning, you'll have a ready-to-use square of leather!

Ahh awesome, thanks guys! I thought it would be something like that - my pelts keep getting stolen before I can finish the craft chain tho (in Utterby).

Side question - if you log out with the items in your hands will they tan? From a roleplay standpoint your character is "virtually" in the room keeping an eye on the pelts, but from a code perspective you've got them in hand and you're logged out of the room (and thus they're not in the same room as the tanning pit object)? Is that something that would be frowned on RP wise even if it did work?
Forceknight
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:00 am

I just take mine now.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Onasaki » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:18 am

It seems that trying to make rawhide gloves with the fabric-thread doesn't count the thread as the correct item.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Taurgalas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:52 pm

I believe all leather crafts require twine, not thread.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Snapdragon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Naa, the raw-hide gloves require fabric thread. It might have been an oversight, but it's really twine. And as onasaki said, it doesn't work. I've tried several different colors of thread and every time it says I'm missing it. Also, I've tried it without the thread, thinking that it might have been coded incorrectly with the same results.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby BogLeather » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Armoring: sew rawhide-gloves
Available To: Orc
Phase 1: 20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a raw, $furcolor squirrel pelt, a raw,
$furcolor rabbit pelt, a raw, $furcolor boar pelt, a raw, $furcolor
warg pelt, a raw, $furcolor wolf pelt, a raw, $furcolor deer pelt,
a raw, $furcolor fawn pelt, a raw, $furcolor fox pelt, a raw,
$furcolor bear pelt, a raw, $furcolor bear cub pelt, a raw, $furcolor
mountain goat pelt, a raw, $furcolor mink pelt, a raw, $furcolor
polecat pelt, a raw, $furcolor stoat pelt, a raw, $furcolor ermine
pelt, or a raw, $furcolor bat pelt.
Held or in Room (Consumed): a raw, $furcolor squirrel pelt, a raw,
$furcolor rabbit pelt, a raw, $furcolor boar pelt, a raw, $furcolor
warg pelt, a raw, $furcolor wolf pelt, a raw, $furcolor deer pelt,
a raw, $furcolor fawn pelt, a raw, $furcolor fox pelt, a raw,
$furcolor bear pelt, a raw, $furcolor bear cub pelt, a raw, $furcolor
mountain goat pelt, a raw, $furcolor mink pelt, a raw, $furcolor
polecat pelt, a raw, $furcolor stoat pelt, a raw, $furcolor ermine
pelt, or a raw, $furcolor bat pelt.
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): a $metaldesc sewing needle.
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): a spool of $naturalcolor0 $ofabric1
thread.

Phase 2: 20 seconds Amateur Armorcraft skill required.
Phase 3: 0 seconds
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): a spool of thick, waxed, $linetype
twine.
Produced: a pair of $furcolor, half-rotten rawhide gloves.
OOC Delay Timer: 60 RL Minutes

That is the only thing that's aggravating me at the moment. I've bought different spools of thread. Had more than one of the same kind, but it still tells me that I'm missing the thread. Held it and dropped it in the room, tested but it still tells me I'm just missing that one piece of material.

I've been told that the crafting doesn't recognize it. Not sure though! Could use some help.
BogLeather

Postby Snapdragon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:54 pm

So I was wondering if there was any way at all that pieces of leather could be added together to make the total required amount? There is nothing more frustrating then having 10 large squares of leather, each with 1 or 2 uses on it, but not having enough leather to make a cloak, or a satchel or whatever. Aside from the space it takes up, it's beyond tedious trying to slog through several squares just to find out you don't have enough.

Not trying to rant, swear. I think you builders are doing some amazing work and I look forward to every new craft you add. love you. kthxbye
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Next

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login