It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Medicine: Gather, Refine, Use

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Medicine: Gather, Refine, Use

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:44 pm

So. I played a doctor last time I played a PC(over at PRPI), so some of my interest in SoI's alpha is in comparing/contrasting what 'worked'/'works' and what 'didn't'/doesn't'. But right now that's not what I'm doing. I'm looking for a bit of explanation from Staff/some input on players on what these skills mean and how they line up to the standard of gather, refine, use.

So what do I mean by gather, refine, use? Well. A sword's an end product. It gets used. Before that, it's refined from metal and wood. Before that, someone forages the iron and chops down the trees. Everything can get boiled down to that. Gather corpses(hunt), refine(skin/tan/make armor), use(wear armor). Doesn't matter how skills are divided(based on what you make vs. what you're working with, for example), it all easily falls into this paradigm.

So. Here's my imagination of medicine as it's released:

Gather(forage/gardening)
Refine(medicine)
Use(first-aid/medicine?)

For example, someone grows some lavender. Someone else forages some oak and peels the bark off of it. This is then refined(via medicine) into various compresses, tinctures, poultices, salves, and what-have you, that only work for certain types of wounds. These poultices/salves could ideally only work for people with medicine, or use the same system as Parallel/SoI and only work for people with a given first-aid or medical skill level.

So. Is this what Staff's going for? Have you discussed it? How do you intend to fit forage/garden/medicine in to the gather, refine, use paradigm?

And what do players think/feel about the skills existing/what should be done with it all?
tehkory
Master Ent

Re: Medicine: Gather, Refine, Use

Postby ThinkTwice » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:48 pm

I'm not sure what Medicine does? It doesn't seem to have unlocked any crafts, and I'm not sure if 'treat'-ing actually procs off of medicine or first-aid. I take 'em both because it seemed like a good idea, but that's just kind of on-faith. In-game, I'm not sure what the repercussions have been, which has made me question if it was a good call.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:05 pm

ThinkTwice wrote:I'm not sure what Medicine does? It doesn't seem to have unlocked any crafts, and I'm not sure if 'treat'-ing actually procs off of medicine or first-aid. I take 'em both because it seemed like a good idea, but that's just kind of on-faith. In-game, I'm not sure what the repercussions have been, which has made me question if it was a good call.

I can explain that, too: medicine is a skillbooster for 90% of wounds(or maybe all of them in this new codebase). If you have first aid at familiar, you seem to have 60/40 success failure rates with wounds. If you have first aid and medicine at familiar, you treat all wounds either successfully or without failing(tending). If you have familiar FA, med, AND education, you essentially will never fail a medical treat roll.

That said, I'm more curious about the future crafting aspects.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Nezerin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:45 am

tehkory wrote:...If you have first aid and medicine at familiar, you treat all wounds either successfully or without failing(tending)...

I can say with 100% certainty that this is not true for the current setup. It will be rare, but you can still fail.
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login