It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:20 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Crafts

Crafts

Crafting Additions Discussion

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Crafting Additions Discussion

Postby Nailah » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi! Let's put commentary and issues regarding newly added crafts here so that the additions thread is streamlined to let people keep track of what's new.

Thank you!
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Re: Crafting Additions Discussion

Postby Throttle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:29 pm

I think the log-to-firewood craft might actually need a small timer, like the nail crafts. It's a bit trivial otherwise when you can turn a log into 20 bundles of firewood at no cost except for the log, which is generally worthless (ironwood aside) and also costs nothing to obtain.

On that note, a 1h or even 2h timer for the copse-for-tree craft might also be in order. It feels a little too free, especially considering how much work it would actually be in reality.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:51 pm

I would agree with Throttle.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby tehkory » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:40 pm

First-aid: sterilize bandages
Phase 1: 10 seconds
In Room (Reusable): a small pot of boiling water.
Phase 2: 15 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): 6 of a grimy cloth bandage, or a clean
bandage.
Held or in Room (Consumed): a grimy cloth bandage, or a clean bandage.
Phase 3: 20 seconds
Phase 4: 0 seconds Beginner First-Aid skill required.
In Room (Reusable): a long-handled $woodtype1 ladle, a long-handled
$metaltype1 ladle, or a slotted $woodtype1 spoon.
Phase 5: 0 seconds
Produced: 6 of a sterilized, bleached bandage.

Consumes 7, gives you 6. The second consume should be reusable, probably? Or else just removed, or gives you 7?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Onasaki » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:30 pm

You can't use a normal metal roasting spit for burnt-cooking. I feel like this makes no logical sense, and perhaps requires a fix.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Throttle wrote:I think the log-to-firewood craft might actually need a small timer, like the nail crafts. It's a bit trivial otherwise when you can turn a log into 20 bundles of firewood at no cost except for the log, which is generally worthless (ironwood aside) and also costs nothing to obtain.

On that note, a 1h or even 2h timer for the copse-for-tree craft might also be in order. It feels a little too free, especially considering how much work it would actually be in reality.

1 hour on log-to-firewood added
2 hours on copse-for-tree added
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:20 pm

tehkory wrote:First-aid: sterilize bandages
Phase 1: 10 seconds
In Room (Reusable): a small pot of boiling water.
Phase 2: 15 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): 6 of a grimy cloth bandage, or a clean
bandage.
Held or in Room (Consumed): a grimy cloth bandage, or a clean bandage.
Phase 3: 20 seconds
Phase 4: 0 seconds Beginner First-Aid skill required.
In Room (Reusable): a long-handled $woodtype1 ladle, a long-handled
$metaltype1 ladle, or a slotted $woodtype1 spoon.
Phase 5: 0 seconds
Produced: 6 of a sterilized, bleached bandage.

Consumes 7, gives you 6. The second consume should be reusable, probably? Or else just removed, or gives you 7?

Removed the dangling bandage and fixed the object numbers. Uses 6 and produces 6 now.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Onasaki wrote:You can't use a normal metal roasting spit for burnt-cooking. I feel like this makes no logical sense, and perhaps requires a fix.

Added!
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Snapdragon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Any chance that the knotted moss-covered tree roots can be added to the list of accepted things that you can add to a fire? There are usually so many of them around, it might be a good way of using them without having to give them over to the Junk-Gods
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Snapdragon wrote:Any chance that the knotted moss-covered tree roots can be added to the list of accepted things that you can add to a fire? There are usually so many of them around, it might be a good way of using them without having to give them over to the Junk-Gods

I suppose I could make an easy general-outdoors craft to split them into a few sticks. Since they're set as a weapon and probably bigger than sticks and dropwood, I'm not keen on putting them in to bundle.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nezerin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Nailah wrote:
Snapdragon wrote:Any chance that the knotted moss-covered tree roots can be added to the list of accepted things that you can add to a fire? There are usually so many of them around, it might be a good way of using them without having to give them over to the Junk-Gods

I suppose I could make an easy general-outdoors craft to split them into a few sticks. Since they're set as a weapon and probably bigger than sticks and dropwood, I'm not keen on putting them in to bundle.

Could let them decay into something that can only be fed into the fire. Could represent how it's larger than sticks (thus can't be used to start a fire).
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Snapdragon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:20 pm

I could see it morphing into something like 'A dry root' after 10-12 hours or so that's usable to keep a fire burning. Then decay further into one stick of various tree that we get when using Collect Dropwood. Seems to reason it would be considered something similar to dropwood, seeing as we dig it up in the same place.
Snapdragon
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:57 pm

I want to know something:

Code: Select all
rash-weaponcrafting: assemble rough-blade-weapon
Phase 1:  20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): an unfinished, rough bog-iron knife blade, an
unfinished, rough bog-iron shortsword blade, an unfinished, rough bog-iron
longsword blade, or an unfinished, rough bog-iron greatsword blade.
Phase 2:  20 seconds Beginner Weaponcraft skill required.
In Room (Reusable): a broad workbench.
Phase 3:  20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a $leathercolor-leather-bound weapon hilt.
Produced: a rough, bog-iron knife, a rough, bog-iron shortsword,
a rough, bog-iron longsword, or a rough, bog-iron greatsword.
Primary Key: 1
Product Key: 4

Trash-weaponcrafting: assemble rough-head-weapon
Held or in Room (Consumed): a tempered, rough bog-iron maul head, a
sharpened, rough bog-iron hand-axe head, a sharpened, rough bog-iron axe
head, a sharpened, rough bog-iron great-axe head, a sharpened, rough
bog-iron spear head, a sharpened, rough bog-iron pike head, a
sharpened, rough bog-iron mace head, a sharpened, rough bog-iron mace
head, or a sharpened, rough bog-iron mace head.
Phase 2:  20 seconds Beginner Weaponcraft skill required.
In Room (Reusable): a broad workbench.
Phase 3:  20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a nondescript weapon haft bound in $leathercolor
leather.
Produced: a rough, bog-iron maul, a rough, bog-iron hand-axe, a
rough, bog-iron axe, a rough, bog-iron great-axe, a rough, bog-iron
short-spear, a rough, bog-iron pike, or a rough, bog-iron mace.
Primary Key: 1
Product Key: 4

What's wrong with these crafts? For all the blade weapons, you require them to be unfinished, and not sharpened. While, axes, and spears, you can have both tempered or sharpened and still complete the craft?

So what's the point of sharpening trash blades, if you can't use them in trash-weapons?
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Nezerin wrote:
Nailah wrote:

Could let them decay into something that can only be fed into the fire. Could represent how it's larger than sticks (thus can't be used to start a fire).

Snapdragon wrote:I could see it morphing into something like 'A dry root' after 10-12 hours or so that's usable to keep a fire burning. Then decay further into one stick of various tree that we get when using Collect Dropwood. Seems to reason it would be considered something similar to dropwood, seeing as we dig it up in the same place.

I might add the morphs later, but I already made a general split craft for now. When I'm less busy, I may revisit and make separate morph objects. It's a pretty big wood root, though, hence the weapon setting.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Onasaki wrote:What's wrong with these crafts? For all the blade weapons, you require them to be unfinished, and not sharpened. While, axes, and spears, you can have both tempered or sharpened and still complete the craft?

So what's the point of sharpening trash blades, if you can't use them in trash-weapons?

I'm not entirely sure. The weaponcrafting set is pretty massive and convoluted at the moment so it's hard to say what goes where. Tiamat is streamlining and making a whole new set to swap people into, and that's under construction.

In the meantime, though, I'll have to let her or someone else answer that particular question and try to present a solution. I'm terrified of that whole set. ;)
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Blacksmithing: smelt ruined-metal
In Room (Reusable): a $metalforge0.
Held or in Room (Consumed): a bundle of firewood.
Held or in Room (Consumed): 5 of a hunk of ruined metal.
Phase 2:  0 seconds
Phase 3:  20 seconds Beginner Metalcraft skill required.
Failure: 2 of
Phase 4:  10 seconds
Produced: a chunk of bog iron ore

2 of what exactly?

You also seem to be able to smelt without the needed amount, which seems to be abusable.
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:20 pm

Onasaki wrote:
Blacksmithing: smelt ruined-metal
In Room (Reusable): a $metalforge0.
Held or in Room (Consumed): a bundle of firewood.
Held or in Room (Consumed): 5 of a hunk of ruined metal.
Phase 2:  0 seconds
Phase 3:  20 seconds Beginner Metalcraft skill required.
Failure: 2 of
Phase 4:  10 seconds
Produced: a chunk of bog iron ore

2 of what exactly?

You also seem to be able to smelt without the needed amount, which seems to be abusable.

I bet someone swapped to the PP while I was in the middle of adjusting the craft and it got moved half-finished. That or I didn't save after making sure it worked in test. I'll fix it. If anyone abuses it in the meantime, I will ruin you. Or make Icarus do it. Fair warning.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nailah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Okay, I deleted it and put it in again. smelt ruined-ore is in business now after an emergency swap by almighty Icarus.

Thank you very much for reporting promptly!
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby ThinkTwice » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:44 am

Scout bog-peat and gather bog-ore are now voodoo crafts that utilize high-level astronomy skill? :cry:
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Tiamat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 am

That's a mistake I made while setting up the craft, Onasaki. I'll fix that this coming weekend when I have more time on my hands. Thank you for pointing it out.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:35 am

ThinkTwice - temp change while we test bog ore in the flist. People were abusing the craft while hidden.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 am

Icarus wrote:ThinkTwice - temp change while we test bog ore in the flist. People were abusing the craft while hidden.

I've not even played with Forage, but...

Are you not allowed to do stuff like that while hidden? I wouldn't see why not, you're in the wilderness, and you can do all sorts of stuff while hidden, assuming nothing is in the room you're in.

If you can strip naked, drop your clothes, then pick them up and get redressed, while hidden. I figure you can get some ore, that you maybe spent the time scouting out a patch that was half-hidden to let you do it discreetly.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Nailah » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:56 am

Most crafts used hidden are just whatever because a lot of the time it makes sense (hunting and gathering between trees) or they're required to be in a workshop. The swamp probably doesn't give that kind of cover to be slogging up a hole in the muck, but it's a little extreme to pull the sneak and hide rflags entirely. However... that's not why it was done.

Bog ore is supposed to be somewhat rare and it probably should have been on the forage table to begin with given my own personal rule of thumb on forage-- if something is seasonal, it should have a craft with season limitations, if not, it should go on the forage table to be gathered year round. We have the forage command that shouldn't become obsolete with the use of foraging crafts. It's good to balance what goes table vs. craft.
Nailah
Honored Dwarf

Postby WildGiller » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Wait wait. I think I'm confused about forage.

Can you 'forage' without having the craft? What is this table we speak of? Forage survey?
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:04 pm

You can use the "forage" and "forage survey" commands without having picked the skill. You don't have any crafts for it, but you can use the skill to look for stuff. Mostly you'll get sticks, because your forage skill is very low.

People who pick forage as a starting skill get crafts they can use to forage for specific things with a much higher chance of of finding what they're looking for as apposed to just random useless crap.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Next

Return to Crafts

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login