It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:58 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orc Shamans.

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orc Shamans.

Postby Doublepalli » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:12 pm

How to properly RP them? Their goals? How they are treated within Orcish community? Tips, advice?
Doublepalli
Forum Hobbit

Re: Orc Shamans.

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:17 pm

They're generally respected. In old-SOI, there was actually coded support for them, but with the change and the code adjustments between then and now. I don't know if it's specifically supported as much anymore, but might be fully supported later down the way.

As for how they're respected, and treated, it's usually a very specific respect though.

It's mostly the spirits, or a specific spirit they worship.

Or something along those lines.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Doublepalli wrote:How to properly RP them? Their goals? How they are treated within Orcish community? Tips, advice?

depends on the orc, I imagine. The majority would treat them with a mixture of respect and fear, but there are probably those that don't believe in the gods. As for how to RP them, just use your imagination to come up with all sorts of gruesome rituals and practices. Come up with a good deity that's a god of blood, revenge, mountains or some other suitably orcy thing and have at 'er.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Croaker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Orc Shamans and You: 101

Orcs are brutal, hungry creatures. They will not bow and scrape to everyone who comes along - certainly not without cause. If you want orcs to respect your character, any character, you have to either prove that you are stronger than they are, or that your gods are stronger than theirs are. They are a superstitious lot, but they are not stupid or blindly trusting. If you pop out of the woodwork and scream "WORSHIP ME FOR I AM ZULL, WHO BRINGS THE RAIN THANKS TO THE GREATNESS OF THE MIGHTY WOLF SPIRIT CARCAROTH" and it does not immediately start a downpour around you, you're probably going to be laughed at.

So, rule #1: do not walk up to a group of orcs and start acting like an arrogant cock unless you can prove your strength to them, or the strength of your spirit/god, or unless you can bluff damn well enough to trick them into believing everything you say.

Shamans are not typically strong orcs. Strong orcs make warleaders, lieutenants, captains and war chiefs. Shamans are orcs with exceptional low cunning. Chances are, if you're a player shaman, you aren't going to get code assisted back up of your role, at least not for a long, long time. Don't expect admins to baby you along. If you want to be believed, you've got to be clever enough to make yourself believable. That means, using your low cunning, seizing every sign and portent that happens to fall your way. Did it rain today, and did you say it would? Your spirits told you. Did it not rain today? Eh, the spirits are unknowable and mysterious in their ways.

Shamans are most powerful when they are entrenched in the system, as they were in TEK - but there's no system that exists yet IG for them to wield that power out of the box. You cannot think of your shaman as someone who stands and sermonizes from a high place. Your shaman, starting out, is more like a missionary - bringing god to heathens and unbelievers and those uncertain orcs who don't know yet of true enlightenment. You need to start slow, keeping that in mind. Hold sermons, bide your time, play humble - low cunning, remember - and when that portent comes shining down that legitimizes everything, seize it greedily and never let go.
Croaker
Forum Hobbit

Postby MrT2G » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Everything Croaker said.

I think a good way for wannabe shamans to get started is by healing orcs. This gains them respect and value. Value to the warband is a big part of orkish culture IMO. Find ways to be useful then start explaining the mystery of life with your magic and find ways to back it up.

Bam, shaman.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04 pm

you're doing pretty good man, I like your shaman already. Kudos!
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Doublepalli » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Heh. I figured posting that, along with IG events would give me away. Thank you! Means alot!
Doublepalli
Forum Hobbit

Postby MrT2G » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:55 am

I'd just like to chime in and say that I think you've taken a very unique and interesting approach to the "shaman" role.

Personally, I think you've melded it with more of a bard approach than the standard I'm going to stick pins in dolls and make magic style.

However you look at it, it seems to work.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Doublepalli » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:57 am

I can completely agree with you. From not having coded support being a shaman, and being a new shaman, I figured charisma, and words of power would get me on my feet first. There will be alot of shamany stuff your thinking of, the opportunities simply haven't happened yet. If you have any tips, advice, or anything that may bother you that im doing, feel free to PM me. Im always listening.
Doublepalli
Forum Hobbit

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Doublepalli wrote:I can completely agree with you. From not having coded support being a shaman, and being a new shaman, I figured charisma, and words of power would get me on my feet first. There will be alot of shamany stuff your thinking of, the opportunities simply haven't happened yet. If you have any tips, advice, or anything that may bother you that im doing, feel free to PM me. Im always listening.

remember that your pc doesn't have the power to do anything unnatural, unless staff give you the okay or aid with echoes. However, having a good sleight of hand skill, along with use of hemotes to describe what you're actually doing prior to any 'magical' emotes should allow you to give a much better illusion. See that one scene in Game of Thrones with Melisandre and Stannis's wife, where she explains her rituals. It's good motivation for your pc. Also there's boobies iirc
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Doublepalli » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:37 am

Starting this up again. Tips advice, concerns and such?
Doublepalli
Forum Hobbit

Postby Songweaver » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:08 am

Orc Shamans should have the power and orcish charisma of a Cult Leader. It doesn't matter if you don't have much actual magic at your finger tips. Manipulation and inclusiveness will help draw others to you, and Orc Shamans are going to be seeking the same thing that all orcs do within their community: power. In your case, your power is equal to the belief any followers you gather show in you. It's not a martial power, necessarily, but one born of reaching out with your spirituality that fills a void and need in the hearts of the other PCs. And then, ensuring their complete loyalty to you once they feel like they need you.

This is how I approached playing an Orc Shaman before, despite having some code support for the role back in the day, and I found it to be very rewarding and fun.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login